Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

Koji Uehra

tumblr_ljqcpip62d1qafrh6.gif

LOL

Whodathunk it!?  Koji mutha****ing Uehara would become the most dominant closer in the major leagues. I dub him "The Automaton" because he's so automatic.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Whodathunk it!?  Koji mutha****ing Uehara would become the most dominant closer in the major leagues. I dub him "The Automaton" because he's so automatic.

And here's what really stings ... not only did Texas lose him in free agency, but we traded Chris Davis to get him in the first place!

If that just doesn't suck balls .......  :(

Which is why every year around trade deadline, I keep chanting .. "Jon Daniels ... step away from the farm system"  Does the douchebag listen?  NOOOOOOOO.

Edited by kgambit

That dude has a 9:1 k/bb ratio. 9:1!!!!

Over his career!!

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

And here's what really stings ... not only did Texas lose him in free agency, but we traded Chris Davis to get him in the first place!

If that just doesn't suck balls .......  :(

Which is why every year around trade deadline, I keep chanting .. "Jon Daniels ... step away from the farm system"  Does the douchebag listen?  NOOOOOOOO.

****, that's brutal.  I'm sorry,man.  That's a lie, I'm not totally sorry.  I'm sorry about Chris Davis, I'm not sorry about Koji Uehara.  Koji "Game Over" Uehara.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Over his career!!

9:1?  9:1!?  That's not just absurd or ridiculous, that's straight to plaid!

1376467623868.gif

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Over his career!!

9:1? 9:1!? That's not just absurd or ridiculous, that's straight to plaid!

Lol. Let's not get too hasty now. Not quite like it's completely unprecedented.

Exhibit A: Dennis Eckersley 1988-1992, esp. 1990 season.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Over his career!!

9:1? 9:1!? That's not just absurd or ridiculous, that's straight to plaid!

Lol. Let's not get too hasty now. Not quite like it's completely unprecedented.

Exhibit A: Dennis Eckersley 1988-1992, esp. 1990 season.

****, if you're comparing Uehara to Eckersley, I'm down with that.  Eckersley was a fairly good starter.  His closer seasons in Oakland are some of the best seasons a pitcher has ever recorded.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

It was a pitchers' duel for sure. Verlander definitely had his stuff, but the rookie Sonny Gray joins a long list of young Oakland pitchers getting thrown into the fire and absolutely dominating.

The As are up 3-0 on the Tigers in the 4th.  I'm at work, so the best I can do is check the score once in a while.  Later today it's Buchholz vs. Cobb.  Buchholz has been terrific at The Trop over his career, hopefully that continues tonight.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The As are up 3-0 on the Tigers in the 4th.  I'm at work, so the best I can do is check the score once in a while.  Later today it's Buchholz vs. Cobb.  Buchholz has been terrific at The Trop over his career, hopefully that continues tonight.

6-3 A's top of the 6th

Good hard base running by Victorino (I love that guy) caused Zobrist to fire another errant throw, leading to a 1-0 Boston lead early.

Edit:  Sawx getting it done with the glove tonight, and all series long.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Tense game in Tampa tonight.  In the end both closers failed their jobs and the Rays stave off elimination walk-off style.  Hopefully Peavey brings his A game tomorrow.  I don't relish the thought of having to potentially face Price again.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Wow, Joe Maddon makes a pitching change with nobody out in the 2nd inning.  It's still 0-0, but the Sawx have 'em loaded with no outs.  This may be jumping the gun, but on the other hand, this is an elimination game, he can't let the Sawx have a huge inning here and blow this game open.  Sawx need to put up at least 2 here, preferably 3 or more.

Edit:  And the Sawx don't score at all.  That is huge.  That may not only cost them this game, but this series.  You can't not score in a situation like that.  This will almost surely come back to haunt them.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Tense game, but the Sawx came through when they needed to.  Joe Maddon used everybody in his bullpen in that game.  EVERYBODY.  Had the Rays tied it up, he would have had to pitch Price in the 10th and beyond, which would bring up the question:  Who would have pitched game 5?  Anyway, the platoon pitching worked until the 7th, then it started to fall apart.  Uehara got redemption by pitching a 4 out save.  Good times.  Now the wait to see who emerges out of the other ALDS.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Tense game, but the Sawx came through when they needed to.  Joe Maddon used everybody in his bullpen in that game.  EVERYBODY.  Had the Rays tied it up, he would have had to pitch Price in the 10th and beyond, which would bring up the question:  Who would have pitched game 5?  Anyway, the platoon pitching worked until the 7th, then it started to fall apart.  Uehara got redemption by pitching a 4 out save.  Good times.  Now the wait to see who emerges out of the other ALDS.

Detroit did almost the same thing by using Scherzer in relief against Oakland.  That means Verlander gets the game 5 start  with 4 days of rest. 

What's the word on Kershaw?  Is he starting the first game of the NLCS on short rest (so the dodgers can try to get three starts in with him)?