Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

kgambit is probably not a happy man right now. But I sure am. Great win, great performance by Price. He wasn't dominating by any means but he got outs when it was needed and going the whole 9 saved an overused pen. On to Cleveland!

I didn't think Price would go a full 9 based on his past record against the Rangers.  Hats off to Price on a gutsy performance.    :) 

Hats off to Francona for letting Price throw 118 pitches.  The Sawx will appreciate a tired arm going against them in the ALDS, if the Rays get there.  I'm not badmouthing Francona, by the way, you gotta do what you gotta do to win a sudden death game.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hats off to Francona for letting Price throw 118 pitches.  The Sawx will appreciate a tired arm going against them in the ALDS, if the Rays get there.  I'm not badmouthing Francona, by the way, you gotta do what you gotta do to win a sudden death game.

And that comes as a total shock to Joe Maddon who actually manages the Rays.   :)

How cool is this:

Flowchart_revisedcopy_fl1naq69_nlc39ngp.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This guy was a class act:

todd-helton-93013.jpg

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Todd Helton Centaur that some fan painted and brought to a game a few days ago was both kind of disturbing and completely ****ing awesome:

Todd-Helton-centaur-1.jpg

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have to agree, that is slightly to the left of creepy.

Watching the Pirates/Reds game. The Pirates are going to be tough to beat at home. This one is not in doubt.

Thomas Sowell

TV is on, mini fridge is full of beer. I have a bag of Doritos. First pitch is in 40 minutes. I'm ready!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

TV is on, mini fridge is full of beer. I have a bag of Doritos. First pitch is in 40 minutes. I'm ready!

GD is clearly settling in for the duration.  :) 

I can't decide who to root for now that the Rangers are out.   :(    

So the Rays won and move on to face the Sawx starting Friday.  Despite the fact that the Sawx have owned the Rays this year, they still scare the **** out of me, mainly because their pitching staff is always capable of going lights out for an entire series, especially a 5 game series.  In theory, the Sawx should hold the edge.  They can match pitching with Tampa, though I'd give the edge to the Rays just slightly, and are just as fast and crafty on the base paths, so they can play small ball pretty much just as well.  Where the Sawx have the edge is power and explosiveness.  The Sawx lineup is simply a scarier bunch to face top to bottom, and it's filled with disciplined, professional hitters that can not only mash it, they can grind out long at-bats to drive up the pitch count.

The Sawx rotation will go as follows:

Game 1 - Lester

Game 2 - Lackey

Game 3 - Buchholz

Game 4 (if necessary) - Peavey

Game 5 (if necessary) - Lester

Who will the Rays have pitch on Friday?  Will they throw Price out there on short rest?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

You know I posted a guide for that!

Thomas Sowell

Matt Moore is going to throw on Friday. ESPN says Price is probable for Saturday. 

Thomas Sowell

You know I posted a guide for that!

ROTFL  Yeah and I read it and I still can't decide. 

Moore versus Lester for Sox / TB

Colon versus Scherzer for Oak / Det

Wainwright versus Burnett for St Louis / Pittsburgh

Kershaw vs Medlen for LAD / Atl

Edited by kgambit

Moore has had a trend of being dominating for the first few innings, then collapsing in the middle. Think of it Key, two long standing rivals fighting tooth and nail in a short series. Every pitch, ever at bat matters. It's gonna be epic!

Thomas Sowell

Moore has had a trend of being dominating for the first few innings, then collapsing in the middle. Think of it Key, two long standing rivals fighting tooth and nail in a short series. Every pitch, ever at bat matters. It's gonna be epic!

That it will.  Chances are, win or lose, I'm going to wind up drunk.

alcool11.gif

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I imagine that right about now Guard Dog is hiring a hitman to off Wil Myers.

I didn't watch - what did Myers do (or not do)?  It looks from the box score that Matt Moore simplyimploded in the 4th and Maddon left him in for the 5th as well. 

Kind of reminded me of AJ Burnett yesterday for Pittsburgh - that was just brutal.

Edited by kgambit

I didn't watch - what did Myers do (or not do)?  It looks from the box score that Matt Moore simplyimploded in the 4th and Maddon left him in for the 5th as well. 

Kind of reminded me of AJ Burnett yesterday for Pittsburgh - that was just brutal.

The box score doesn't show any errors (inexplicably) but the Rays defense made several colossal mistakes in the 4th inning.  At that point in the game the Rays were up 2-0 on 2 solo HRs.  Moore was cruising up to the 4th.  Laser Show was on 1st when Papi hit a deep fly ball, Myers called for it, then, for whatever reason, stepped forward and the ball dropped behind him on the warning track for a double (I'm still not sure how that wasn't scored an error).  The moment that happened, I knew right there that the Sawx were going to win that game.  You can get away with mistakes like that in the regular season, but in the playoffs they will kill you.  Next up Napoli popped out.  Following that was another double that drove in 2.  Moore got another out, then a grounder that should have ended the inning, but Moore was slow to cover first and the runner (Stephen Drew, I think) was safe, Johnny Gomes scored on the play.  That broke Moore's back and the floodgates opened.  There was another double in the inning that was misplayed that allowed an extra run to score.  In all 10 batters came to the plate that inning and Moore barely made it out of the inning (he didn't survive the next).  Sawx went up 5-2 and Lester went into I'm Got This, I'm Shutting Them Down Mode.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The box score doesn't show any errors (inexplicably) but the Rays defense made several colossal mistakes in the 4th inning.  At that point in the game the Rays were up 2-0 on 2 solo HRs.  Moore was cruising up to the 4th.  Laser Show was on 1st when Papi hit a deep fly ball, Myers called for it, then, for whatever reason, stepped forward and the ball dropped behind him on the warning track for a double (I'm still not sure how that wasn't scored an error).  The moment that happened, I knew right there that the Sawx were going to win that game.  You can get away with mistakes like that in the regular season, but in the playoffs they will kill you.  Next up Napoli popped out.  Following that was another double that drove in 2.  Moore got another out, then a grounder that should have ended the inning, but Moore was slow to cover first and the runner (Stephen Drew, I think) was safe, Johnny Gomes scored on the play.  That broke Moore's back and the floodgates opened.  There was another double in the inning that was misplayed that allowed an extra run to score.  Sawx went up 5-2 and Lester went into I'm Got This, I'm Shutting Them Down Mode.

When I hit the cbs sports site, it was right after Ortiz's double and the flood gates were about to open ......but there was no indication that Myers misplayed the fly.  Must have lost it in the lights ....  oh wait, day game .....  LOL    GD isn't going to be happy.

Lester just got pulled in the 8th but Sox have cushy 6 run league.