PS4

Bokishi

He gave that answer the first time, in the Eurogamer article. They're going to be using software that's available right now in the PS3, the online pass stuff which is a semi-block on used games already. It's a smart move by Sony because they can't ban it, publishers would be able to put pressure on them, and publishers are free to gradually implement it, as they've already started with online passes on PS3. They could charge half the full retail price for a multiplayer online pass for a future Call of Duty, that has micro transactions and subscriptions. After seeing what Ubisoft has done on the PC, I can't imagine them saying "this doesn't meet the expectations of our consumers".

Yeah, you would put your 15 year old scratched PS1 disk into your shiny new PS4, and it would immediately destroy the BD laser diode.

If you do not care about your old stuff, it is your problem and says a lot about your personality... I have lot of PS1 and PS2 discs which do not have single scratch on them, and I am still playing them on my PC, PS2 and PS3...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

If you do not care about your old stuff, it is your problem and says a lot about your personality...

If you care about your old stuff, you still have a functioning PSX.  If you can't be bothered to bring it out when you want to play it, then I guess that says a lot about your personality...

I never had PSX, but I have tons of PSX games, and I like to have possibility to play my stuff on one box, you know, my living room is unfortunatelly not inflatable... Therefore I am playing my PSX and PS2 games mainly on my PC...

My old PS2, DS, PSP, Wii, Atari 800XL, PC 386DX40, PC 486DX4-133 are still functioning without flaws...

Edited by Mamoulian War

I never had PSX, but I have tons of PSX games, and I like to have possibility to play my stuff on one box, you know, my living room is unfortunatelly not inflatable... Therefore I am playing my PSX and PS2 games mainly on my PC...

My old PS2, DS, PSP, Wii, Atari 800XL, PC 386DX40, PC 486DX4-133 are still functioning without flaws...

That does say a lot about your personality.  

My point was more that saying something like "says a lot about your personality" says, perhaps, a lot about your personality.  But maybe it just says a lot about my personality that I don't just assume everyone that may have older, worn equipment are somehow lesser human beings.

My living room isn't inflatable either, but I still know where all my old consoles are and it doesn't take much time to hook them up to my television.

You effectively just said: "You sir, are solely responsible for the destruction of your discs - not my problem.  I, however, am lazy and don't really feel like moving my old, immaculately kept console, because it's inconvenient for me.  Therefore, backwards compatibility is very important to me. As a result, you should have to pay an additional price premium that you're not interested in purely to support my laziness"  All while if you didn't have backwards compatibility, you're not actually prevented from playing your older games.  Doubly so because you've evidently found PC emulators (which likely won't stop coming out for consoles ever) and are capable of keeping your old hardware in pristine condition.

But then again, I have been rather bullish in my personality in the past, and have a hard time passing up opportunities to call out people that are being unnecessarily condescending.  And yes, I recognize there's some hypocrisy since I'm being condescending myself.  Woo :aiee:

Hell yeah, all of you have to pay for my maximum convenience!! :fdevil:

If you do not care about your old stuff, it is your problem and says a lot about your personality...

If you care about your old stuff, you still have a functioning PSX.  If you can't be bothered to bring it out when you want to play it, then I guess that says a lot about your personality...

I also have not just one but two functionn PS1/PSX.  Maybe it says a lot about my personality that I don't want to be bothered to bring it out if I don't have to, but I don't.  That's one reason why I have the PS3 with backwards compatibility for PS1 and PS2 games.  I only need room for one console, blu-ray/dvd player, and even browser on the internet if I want.  It's called economy of space.

I also like to keep my discs in pristine condition if I can.  The better you keep care of your stuff, normally the longer it remains good and working.  That's my take.  If you don't take care of your stuff, that's okay as well.  I'm not certain why I or someone else should judge others on that factor.   I would be upset if someone got into my discs and scratched them all up, but if it's theirs...they can do what they want with them.

However, WHY I would want something with Backwards compatibility is normally economy of space for me.  I still probably will eventually end up getting a PS4.

• Like 1

Every time I go to buy a new console, I sell the old one.  I've done this since I owned an NES and sold it to the kid down the street to get an SNES.  There is just too much new stuff for me to worry about the old stuff, and as I already stated, the great stuff gets redone for the new generation.

• Like 1

I have blasts of nostalgia from time to time (a friend brought his NES into work and I have played through Tyson's Punch Out, Megaman 2, and am in a fun competition in Tetris).

As an aside: the big thing I noticed is how well I remember a lot of the games.  I made it to Tyson in my first attempt (and things like Bald Bull's Rush I could still hit on my first attempt).  Same with Megaman 2.  It took me about 8 or 9 attempts to finally beat Tyson, and Megaman 2 I was able to complete things (like Flashman's laser sequence) I was never able to do while younger.

It makes me more convinced that part of what made games of the past so much longer and harder was simply because I wasn't as good at gaming (I also noticed this with Ultima 6 and Ultima 7, games I never beat when I was younger despite weeks of investment, yet were a weekend jaunt with my GoG versions)

I have blasts of nostalgia from time to time (a friend brought his NES into work and I have played through Tyson's Punch Out, Megaman 2, and am in a fun competition in Tetris).

As an aside: the big thing I noticed is how well I remember a lot of the games.  I made it to Tyson in my first attempt (and things like Bald Bull's Rush I could still hit on my first attempt).  Same with Megaman 2.  It took me about 8 or 9 attempts to finally beat Tyson, and Megaman 2 I was able to complete things (like Flashman's laser sequence) I was never able to do while younger.

It makes me more convinced that part of what made games of the past so much longer and harder was simply because I wasn't as good at gaming (I also noticed this with Ultima 6 and Ultima 7, games I never beat when I was younger despite weeks of investment, yet were a weekend jaunt with my GoG versions)

I can't say I was much into many of the Nintendo offerings.  I did get the Namco Museum off of the PSN store (though it didn't have tons of games, it had favs like Galaga and Pacman).  I also got the X-men arcade which rocks.  I also have a Sega Genesis still...actually two of them in storage...one is a gamble on whether it works or not.  It had a 32X attached to it (I think they called it a Genesis Mars) and it got stepped on which made it do all sorts of funky things.

Every time I go to buy a new console, I sell the old one.  I've done this since I owned an NES and sold it to the kid down the street to get an SNES.  There is just too much new stuff for me to worry about the old stuff, and as I already stated, the great stuff gets redone for the new generation.

I don't know if I agree, the success of services like GOG and PS2 Classics on PSN says otherwise to me. Though HD collections are still a cool thing and I hope the trend of good ones continues into the next generation of consoles.

GOG typically lets me play classic games I missed out on and never actually owned/finished.  On occasion I pick up ones that I have owned previously, but moreso because I prefer it in a digital copy rather than on a disc copy, or because effectively my machine is not actually backwards compatible with it (i.e. I have to jump through a ton of hoops to get it working properly).

Edited by alanschu

Have you ever played any PC games with a decent gaming rig after PS3 and 360 came out? Apparently the answer is "no."

lol

There are unmoddable console to PC ports that have dramatic visual improvements over console versions (Sleeping Dogs being one of the most lauded examples.) Even a standard console to PC port still allows for high level anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing, with much higher framerates.

Yes but such games have been designed to take advantage of 7 year old hardware. You can jack up the aa and af on any console port, it may look clearer, but it's not going to make the game any larger or graphics tons more realistic. You can apply resolution and aa tweaks to any old looking game, it will still be an old looking game.

And that's not even counting moddable games like Skyrim, which can be drastically improved with better shaders, .ini tweaks, higher resolution textures, etc.

I'll make an exception for Skyrim, and the few other games that offer improved texture packs, however they are not common, and ENB post process injectors are not optimized that well and cause more lag than if such effects were coded in by the developers themselves, which of course they would not do since they focus on consoles more

You don't appear to have a clue what you're talking about. PC hardware has left consoles in the dust during this generation. The next gen of consoles will use current (or slightly older,) PC hardware (after all, these consoles were designed in the past couple of years.) And PC hardware will continue to improve as this new gen of consoles stays static.

You don't have a clue what I am talking about. I am not saying pc hardware is equal to console hardware. I am saying that developers find console hardware more lucrative due to its market share and just code their games to take advantage of such old hardware. Most Devs will always code their games for consoles first these days, it's just more profitable for them. But now that PS4 has specs similar to moderns PCs (including an Octa-core processor and 8 gigs of RAM), devs will be coding their future console games to take advantage of such hardware specs, and thus consoles and PCs get upgraded games.

The only time a PC port of a console game (which is unfortunately the standard in this age, not that you seem to be lamenting that, as a console zealot,) is graphically equal or inferior is when the people doing the porting are too lazy to make the game utilize the strengths of PC hardware or push its limits.

Yes it is a standard in this age. And I am not praising nor lamenting that, I am just accepting the facts. I find it funny that you think I am a console zealot. I never made any statements saying that consoles are better than PCs. Yes I do own both a 360 and PS3, but I also own a PC that's 24x faster than both of them, and I use that a lot more.
  • Like 1

I don't know if I agree, the success of services like GOG and PS2 Classics on PSN says otherwise to me. Though HD collections are still a cool thing and I hope the trend of good ones continues into the next generation of consoles.

That is what I mean by 'the great stuff gets redone for the new generation'.  GoG's older titles and the PS2 classics are modified so they can run on current tech.  The price is usually negligible for these classics, so I see no reason to store stuff for years and years.

The HD stuff is cool too, but it is usually more expensive.   

In a ideal world, you would put into PS4 your original PS1, PS2 or PS3 game, and it would immediately launch from cloud... I doubt that this will ever happen...

That's not how "cloud gaming" works, and the concept of getting a livestream of a game running on a server 500 miles away has always been stupid. Lag is always going to be an issue, no matter how high bandwidth goes. It's just watching a compressed streaming video that you get to make inputs on. Lower visual quality AND input lag is not a step up from having your own machine to play games on.

The "cloud" is servers. Cloud computing is using your device as just a way to access the processing power and applications of a server some distance away from you. Putting a disc in a machine has nothing to do with that concept. You have the information on the disc. There's no cloud involved. Why would you want to put in the disc containing the info you already have so that you can download it from a server and waste time when you can use the information you physically posses?

...and the concept of getting a livestream of a game running on a server 500 miles away has always been stupid...

Maybe if you live in the middle of nowhere. The worst case scenario for me would be 150 miles, with 15-20ms net latency.

Lag is always going to be an issue, no matter how high bandwidth goes.

Bandwidth isn't the issue, many places have more than enough bandwidth. Would I play Street Fighter or Counter-Strike on it? No. Would I play Rayman or Total War? Yes. It's not just lag, there's a number of drawbacks with cloud gaming, but there are a number of benefits.

I know what is cloud gaming...

I meant the verification of the originality of your dics directly on your PS4 and then (because there will be no HW backwards compability) then run your game over the network...

Yes there will be lag, but still better than not able to play your favourite game at all, if you lack powerful enough PC for emulation or functioning old consoles...

Well except for games like Crash Bandicoot, where you would get destroyed with lag...

Every time I go to buy a new console, I put the old one in its original box.  With the exception of the Atari 2600 which I'd bought a plastic container designed to hold the console and its games (and the whole thing now sits in a box).  And my NES, C64 and SegaCD which were bought secondhand.

But I admit to being a bit of a hoarder, in that sense.  I've only recently started to get myself away from keeping the packaging games come with (putting them instead in folder sleeve container things). :(

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I actually started to sell off some of my old console stuff.  Some guys at work are collecting SNES games and I sold them most of my library.  Hoping that the one collector will take the Ren and Stimpy game just so his collection has it :D

I think I have a Ren and Stimpy games...but it was for the Genesis - Stimpy's Invention I think?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Moving a lot is what motivated me to get rid of a lot of stuff. When I first started PC gaming, I used to keep ALL of my old boxes just because.  I went home to my parents place (to find my old SNES games) and realized just how HUUUUUUUUUUGE those boxes used to be!! Hahahaha. In the end though, they weren't coming with me when I moved out!