Euro Truck Simulator 2 - a pleasant surprise

Hi, folks!

Well, I got to see a fun Youtube video of a guy playing a truck sim/truck company game called "Euro Truck Simulator 2", and since it just came out on Steam, I bought it just for the heck of it. Now, that was quite a big leap of faith:

I'm no trucker fan, not even a car lover. I prefer bikes anyday.

I also got a friend to buy it, and it turns out to be a much more enjoyable experience than I ever would have thought! :)

The simulator part you can regulate, so you can, like I do drive the truck semi-realistically with manual gearbox and put a satnav on the dashboard and all, but you can make it much easier for yourself too (as well as harder). Then you get a number of countries in Europe rather realistically plotted out in a road map format. At first you pick up jobs for bigger companies delivering various goods, but soon you can rig a loan at a bank and buy your own truck, which you can be custom-made and modded to quite an extent for money and so, but for that you need more xp, and yes it's like a RPG with levels and perks and points in everything from ecodriving to longdistance-endurance.

I don't know what to say, but it's a perfectly relaxing game. You chill out, drive at night, perhaps its raining, you get to make playlists with your favourite music on, just like I loved doing mix tapes in the 80s. It's the perfect take-a-break game, it's so unexpected that I would like a gem like this. I played Flight Simulator in the 90s but got bored to tears.

And here's an idea for Obsidian: I know you have bikers among you. Please make a RPG Biker USA simulator, where you can drive around your beautiful country. Now I know I would buy it in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

...Why not do it for real?

Obsidian's not going to make "RPG Biker USA simulator" (where did the RPG thing even come from? By the standard you applied, CoD multiplayer is an RPG.) I mean, really. Come on. It's 3,100 miles from Seattle to Boston on I-90 (that's 4990km for you unpatriotic types,) that's a longer distance than from Moscow to Seville, Spain. And that's just one Interstate. No video game has ever accurately modeled the real world with any degree of accuracy or comparable visual quality.

AGX-17: I wish, I wish! :yes:  But let's say I just like to have some very light version of a simulator that emulated a bit of the feel of going down that uber-long interstate, I'd be quite happy. And yes, it would've been better if I wrote "RPG-elements".

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

...Why not do it for real?

Obsidian's not going to make "RPG Biker USA simulator" (where did the RPG thing even come from? By the standard you applied, CoD multiplayer is an RPG.) I mean, really. Come on. It's 3,100 miles from Seattle to Boston on I-90 (that's 4990km for you unpatriotic types,) that's a longer distance than from Moscow to Seville, Spain. And that's just one Interstate. No video game has ever accurately modeled the real world with any degree of accuracy or comparable visual quality.

They could make it like the Route 66 TV show; you travel along a specific highway where at each stop you have the possibility of being embroiled in some storyline or another... :p

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Glad to see sim games still around.  Really should give that Farm one a go

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hi, folks!

Well, I got to see a fun Youtube video of a guy playing a truck sim/truck company game called "Euro Truck Simulator 2", and since it just came out on Steam, I bought it just for the heck of it. Now, that was quite a big leap of faith:

I also got a friend to buy it, and it turns out to be a much more enjoyable experience than I ever would have thought! :)

The simulator part you can regulate, so you can, like I do drive the truck semi-realistically with manual gearbox and put a satnav on the dashboard and all, but you can make it much easier for yourself too (as well as harder). Then you get a number of countries in Europe rather realistically plotted out in a road map format. At first you pick up jobs for bigger companies delivering various goods, but soon you can rig a loan at a bank and buy your own truck, which you can be custom-made and modded to quite an extent for money and so, but for that you need more xp, and yes it's like a RPG with levels and perks and points in everything from ecodriving to longdistance-endurance.

I don't know what to say, but it's a perfectly relaxing game. You chill out, drive at night, perhaps its raining, you get to make playlists with your favourite music on, just like I loved doing mix tapes in the 80s. It's the perfect take-a-break game, it's so unexpected that I would like a gem like this. I played Flight Simulator in the 90s but got bored to tears.

And here's an idea for Obsidian: I know you have bikers among you. Please make a RPG Biker USA simulator, where you can drive around your beautiful country. Now I know I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I think the idea of a truck sim is actually better. Add some story elements, take inspiration on the atmosphere from, say, Twin Peaks and you've got it right there.

To be honest, I think there's too few really original game concepts around.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Hi, folks!

I think the idea of a truck sim is actually better. Add some story elements, take inspiration on the atmosphere from, say, Twin Peaks and you've got it right there.

To be honest, I think there's too few really original game concepts around.

What about Forklift Truck Simulator 2013?

• Like 1

Hi, folks!

I'm definitely interested just because it's completely different than what I usually play and because it's chill.  I loved Osmos (completely different type of game) for the fact that it was so chill.  The fact that they're making a Linux version makes it very likely that I will pick this up in the future.  

:)

On a side note, what about Smokey and the Bandit: The RPG

"Eastbound and down

loaded up and truckin'

we're gonna do what they say can't be done..."  :dancing:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It piqued my interest, but I never played the original, and continuity is extremely important me.  What if I miss an important backstory about an engine block?

:grin: funny

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela