Please do not make crafting in PE a chore! (and also: really excited for PE!)

As the title states, and getting straight to the point: please do not make crafting in PE a complicated and cumbersome process! This is an IE inspired game, not an MMO. I don't want to sit there trying to figure out stupid crafting recipes and mechanics...I want to adventure and slay beasts, then loot their treasure. Nothing beats looting a nice shiny chest (or corpse) after a hard-won battle. Nothing is more anti-climactic than sitting there staring at crafting recipe pages clicking "CRAFT" and watching some progress bar/animation. I am not saying drop the feature completely (since that would not really be feasible seeing as how it was a stretch goal), but when you implement it, make it simple and something minor in the game (in my opinion of course). Something akin to how BG2 handled it is acceptable, not complex at all and still reasonably exciting (tracking down parts of epic items). But please...don't let me craft boot straps or potions or **** like that...then I will be displeased. Leave crafting for truly legendary stuff (again, BG2 did it fine, I suggest simply doing it like that in PE).

That is all I wanted to say on crafting, hopefully Josh and crew take note of this. Thanks for your time!

And might I add...I am incredibly excited to get this game in my hands, no other upcoming game excites me as much as PE. You guys have incredible hype and expectations to live up to, but when it comes to creating another isometric party based IE inspired deep RPG...I honestly can't think of a better group of people to make that a reality.

Edited by pl1982
  • Like 1

But please...don't let me craft boot straps or potions or **** like that...then I will be displeased. Leave crafting for truly legendary stuff (again, BG2 did it fine, I suggest simply doing it like that in PE).

Why? Would someone force you to craft those items?

I hope we can craft potions, it's a big part of crafting in RPGs IMHO.

U gize are just trying to be contrarian, but I tell y'all my hope is that first thing they force me to do two minutes into the game is spend all my gold on bootstrap crafting materials. It's a childhood dream.

Ive allways wanted to craft Lederhosen in an RPG. And it happened NEVER! I feel my civil rights have been trodden underfoot!

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

Crafting should be as simple as possible, with an easy to use an robust interface and relying solely on character skill. No archaic rules or pressing buttons at intervals should be required.

3.X and Pathfinder are probably the best to look at for crating "basic" items, while Pathfinder should be used as inspiration for enchantment.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Gize,

just MO but it would be pretty terrible if there were only humans in the game. Like human characters, human NPCs, and only human enemies to fight. I think there should be different... races... like some of them shorter than humans and some could be taller. Also there could be a non-human race that is brutal and violent and acts as antagonists most of the time. They could be made distinct from humans by having green skin or something.

I just thought the devs should be made aware of this! DREAM THE IMPOSIBLE DRAEM

If i'm playing a survival type (ranger etc) character, then I don't mind having a few rough and ready crafting recipes on hand. Otherwise I generally don't much like crafting, like over abundant loot it only serves to make my character feel more like a shopkeeper/trader than a sellsword or what have you. That said if a character has a background (a la Arcanum) in trade or craft, then i'm fine with it.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Skyrim crafting would be good in here :) even if you dont posses the skills to craft yourself (coz youre always ot there killing stuff) one could always hire a blacksmith or alchemyst to do the dirty stuff back at home base. You provide cash/rare ingredients and he can dish out stuff. With time he gets better and better and maybe will give some quests for some dragon... well parts to make epic wallet :p

I don't want needlessly silly time sink elements like progress bars, but I would like some depth to the crafting system. Maybe something along the lines of the New Vegas system where new feats and higher skill opens up new recipes as you progress and then some super rare item creation recipes can be unlocked through completing quests or looting musty tomes from the depths of Od Nua.

In any case, as long as it's presented in a way that doesn't add tedium (like a slow moving progress bar) I like the idea of having to collect ingredients or even being able to experiment and discover "hidden" recipes.

Skyrim crafting would be good in here :) even if you dont posses the skills to craft yourself (coz youre always ot there killing stuff) one could always hire a blacksmith or alchemyst to do the dirty stuff back at home base. You provide cash/rare ingredients and he can dish out stuff. With time he gets better and better and maybe will give some quests for some dragon... well parts to make epic wallet :p

Skyrim had pretty awful crafting. Halfway through the game (probably sooner) you made a full set of Daedric and were done with getting any upgrades whatsoever from exploring. Full on crafting systems like Skyrim or Amalur either feel pointless (if the crafted stuff is worse than what you can find), or they kill the enjoyment of dungeon crawling (if the crafted stuff is better).

BG2 did it right with the crafting being an ancillary way to get unique and legendary one off items.

• Like 1