Xmas Plans and Grub

BruceVC

Hi All

What are your Xmas plans? How are you celebrating or relaxing. Also what ends up on your table on that much anticipated Xmas lunch spread.

I am driving down to the coast in 2 days, my family has a beach cottage that is about 20 meters from the actual beach. So its really picturesque and the perfect place to relax. We always have a big Xmas lunch that includes Gammon, Turkey and Lamb.

Yummmmmy, I can't wait :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Haven't celebrated Christmas for many years. Will probably "celebrate" getting a break from work for a while and indulge in a bottle of XO Cognac and make some green curry chicken.

Which reminds me, that I better get some grocery shopping done before the holidays (or, I'm going to live off re-heated frozen pizza for a while).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Haven't celebrated Christmas for many years. Will probably "celebrate" getting a break from work for a while and indulge in a bottle of XO Cognac and make some green curry chicken.

Which reminds me, that I better get some grocery shopping done before the holidays (or, I'm going to live off re-heated frozen pizza for a while).

Gorth please don't forget to do that shopping, the thought of you eating re-heated pizza for Xmas upsets me :)

Even if you don't have the traditional Xmas lunch table cooking something like Curry will be delicious.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Even if you don't have the traditional Xmas lunch table cooking something like Curry will be delicious.

I'm a sucker for Thai food :)

I cheat a bit and get the curry base ready made, but will get most of the ingredients from chicken to coconut milk just before the weekend. Mental note to self... remember to get koriander leaves.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Xmas lunch isn't a tradition in Canada. Dinner usually is the tradition. We're either doing ham or Goose, haven't decided yet. Never done goose before so might go with ham and just do a goose later to try it. Probably do potatoes au gratin, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts and stuffing as sides. Also as a personal tradition i have eggs benedict with mimosas for christmas breakfast. Usually full from that until dinner.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Xmas lunch isn't a tradition in Canada. Dinner usually is the tradition. We're either doing ham or Goose, haven't decided yet. Never done goose before so might go with ham and just do a goose later to try it. Probably do potatoes au gratin, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts and stuffing as sides. Also as a personal tradition i have eggs benedict with mimosas for christmas breakfast. Usually full from that until dinner.

That sounds great, I haven't ever had goose before. I know that Roast Potatoes cooked in Goose fat is apparently the most scrumptious and decadent way to do them.

John Milton 

Hub's family that lived locally split too much and a central "thing" stopped being a family thing to do. My own family...big gatherings are never my thing so I prefer to see them individually other times of the year instead.

On our own, hubby and I don't do anything special. No presents, no special dinners made. It's funny because I'm not into "xmas" per se, but I did like the decorations (including avatars, haha). Sadly, while I like having a tree, it's a waste just for us so I stopped. :(

We may not get a tree anymore but I was thinking about buying a small santa hat, because black cats always look so cute in one. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

We may not get a tree anymore but I was thinking about buying a small santa hat, because black cats always look so cute in one. :p

That cute, what do your cats do when they have to wear these hats. Pleas post some pictures if you do make them wear hats :)

John Milton 

Work is throwing a party on the 21st, which is always a grand old time. Will chill and relax for a few days, see the parents on Christmas Eve and Day. Supposed to get two weeks off but have some big deliverables coming up in january, so I was asked to come in. Though I'll be getting bonus vacation days in lieu, so in the end I still come out ahead, and I can take the time off in the summer when motorcycles will be more fun to drive :)

Sleeping in and probably playing EVE.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's my favorite time of the year!

Personally this has actually been a bit of an odd Christmas, since I've had some troubles with my parents and sisters, and I won't be seeing them this year as a result. But I've been doing my best to focus on all my friends and family that I do have around. I've already bought most of my presents and have them hidden away for the kids and my wife. I also had some extra money for presents this year, so I took part in a gift exchange, which felt good to do.

I am hosting Christmas lunch/dinner for my in-laws, but I haven't decided what I will cook. I've done tri-tip in year's past, but this year with my wife on a restricted diet I'll probably do something a bit more creative.

It's my favorite time of the year!

Personally this has actually been a bit of an odd Christmas, since I've had some troubles with my parents and sisters, and I won't be seeing them this year as a result. But I've been doing my best to focus on all my friends and family that I do have around. I've already bought most of my presents and have them hidden away for the kids and my wife. I also had some extra money for presents this year, so I took part in a gift exchange, which felt good to do.

I am hosting Christmas lunch/dinner for my in-laws, but I haven't decided what I will cook. I've done tri-tip in year's past, but this year with my wife on a restricted diet I'll probably do something a bit more creative.

Sounds fun, I also love Xmas. I find that everyone is generally in a festive mood but its more the time to spend with friends and family. I had never heard of tri-tip, so I checked it out. It looks like a good recipe and something applicable to cook for a group.

John Milton 

Tri-tip can be awesome, depending how it's done. Those slo-cooked BBQ rub ones are divine.

Not a tri-tip, but making a beef roast right now, in fact. Any time is the right time for beef. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

From what I heard, you have to choose between a brisket cut and a tri-tip cut when carving the cow. Apparently brisket is more common, but tri-tip is more popular in California.

I've been having a blast getting presents for the kids this year. My daughter was a bit tricky, she asked for an easy-bake oven and a slurpee machine. I read up on them and apparently they both are garbage. So I used my powers of persuasion and convinced her that a cupcake griddle would be cooler, and I got her a little sno-cone machine that looks very awesome.

I got my wife some overly expensive earrings also, but our 10 year anniversary is coming up and I'm hoping they will work towards that as well :p

Guest The Architect

We're going for a roast duck instead of turkey this time. My family will celebrate Christmas like we usually do. Food, booze, volleyball in the pool and maybe a film or two at night. Our tradition is that we watch National Lampoons Christmas vacation on Christmas eve with a good supply of egg nog mixed with Jack Daniels. And it never gets old.

We're going for a roast duck instead of turkey this time. My family will celebrate Christmas like we usually do. Food, booze, volleyball in the pool and maybe a film or two at night. Our tradition is that we watch National Lampoons Christmas vacation on Christmas eve with a good supply of egg nog mixed with Jack Daniels. And it never gets old.

Its funny you mention watching a certain movie, but we do exactly the same thing but on Xmas Eve. We watch Jingle All The Way with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Its a classic, I recommend it to all :)

John Milton 

Christmas means my semi-annual trip back to Melbourne to see family. Not so much for the occasion itself, but because unlike me, they don't tend to have flexible holidays that we can sync up any other time of the year. Typically a shopping trip on the 27th to get belated (and frequently silly) Christmas presents - we're all the type to avoid crowds - and besides that, not much due to the typical 35-45C degree days around this time of year. Some classic movies, multiplayer console games, that kind of thing mostly.

No specific foods we associate with Christmas - except maybe some stollen - I'm guessing it'll be probably something like a regular BBQ for dinner on Christmas day.

Oh, parents will probably go to the church service in the morning while I sleep in - they're mildly devout Christians, I'm not religious, and my siblings are somewhere in between. It's never something that gets in the way in any situation, fortunately.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G