Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Theme music you can hum

music Justin Bell

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Nothing spells terrible devastation and intestine-flinging like Riverdance.

PB_Popeye

PB_Popeye

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:High Octane 881
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Dear fluffy lord for the love of everything unholy please yes! I would love music that makes me jump up out of my chair and run around the house in boxers swinging an imaginary sword (this never happened when I first loaded Skyrim. Never.) Friggin Hobbit's "Misty Mountain" has been stuck in my head for 3 days now.

Seriously though it's a great touch when dev's manage to create a catchy and powerful theme that *fits* the game well.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8995 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Nothing spells terrible devastation and intestine-flinging like Riverdance.

If anyone could pull it off, it would be you-know-who.

Posted Image

...sorry, had to do it. :devil:
  • GhoulishVisage, SqueakyCat, TMTVL and 3 others like this

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
KOTOR's theme was great, it was something new whilst at the same time feel awesomely Star Wars. The Final Fantasy series has likewise done a good job with its main theme.

So yes, a nice discintive theme would be good for the series - one that isn't too fantasy-esque with the late medieval focus of the game.

SophosTheWise

SophosTheWise

Weird Bard of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Caedryan
  • Xbox Gamertag:Sophos The Wise
What about Legends of Eisenwald? They have some INCREDIBLE music.

https://soundcloud.com/ressium

Dream

Dream

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 607 posts
They should get Deltron 3030 to do the theme.

JOG

JOG

Knave of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Music can do much more for atmosphere than nifty graphics and voice-out, I still catch myself humming the Fellowship Theme from Ultima 7 now and then, just like Engagement and Melee from Ultima 5/6 and of course Stones, let's not forget the ending of Ultima 6, joining the Britannia and Gargoyle theme, a masterpiece in its own right, and a worthy conclusion of your 200+ hours quest to end this war.

For me, when it comes to storytelling and atmosphere, Ultima 5 - 7.2 are still the measuring stick for any other (western) RPG. The BG series is a close followup but still doesn't play in the same league. PS:T almost made it there as well, just missing the music to compliment the storytelling. After these 7 games and their addons there is a large gap where each and every japanese RPG fits in before the rest of the western RPGs catch up.

Heck, for ol' times' sake: Nastassia's theme.

Enough elder-school ranting for now (What? Bleary eyes? No that's just strain from staring at the monitor...)

What I also love in soundtracks is variations, like most Star Wars songs having some elements of the main theme, or the Variations of "Call of Magic" in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

Edited by JOG, 07 January 2013 - 10:54 AM.

DreamingVoid

DreamingVoid

Dwarven Defender of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think the Drakensang series had a pretty decent soundtrack, ranging from merry fantasy to dark and brooding. It's worth a watch.

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

NO FOLK. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO.

I charge into the enemy to butch choral chanting and drums, not some hippie on a lute dammit.

There is a lot of different folk music in the world, it's not really one genre. Sardinian folk music is different from slavic folk, which is a world of difference from American folk.

SophosTheWise

SophosTheWise

Weird Bard of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Caedryan
  • Xbox Gamertag:Sophos The Wise

NO FOLK. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO.

I charge into the enemy to butch choral chanting and drums, not some hippie on a lute dammit.

There is a lot of different folk music in the world, it's not really one genre. Sardinian folk music is different from slavic folk, which is a world of difference from American folk.

Absolutely, just listen to the Legends of Eisenwald soundtrack. It's epic but it's also got a lot of European folk influences, or dare I say renaissance music influences. That's what flutes and lutes are all about. Renaissance, man. Bring on the renaissance. Can't think of a game that has ever done that. All games are all epic drums and strings - can't stand that anymore. It's all the same.
  • JFSOCC likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, Justin Bell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users