In the early 2000s, as most RPGs and RTSs transitioned from 2D to 3D, one of the things that really bugged me was how the camera in the 3D games was allowed to zoom in and out, rotate, and change the angle. In 2D isometric games, backgrounds were just images, so the camera was entirely fixed in terms of zoom distance, angle, and rotation (with some rare exceptions). As 3D games became popular, I'm sure the developers were excited about the chance to show off their three dimensional worlds from different angles, and at first, this sounds like a good idea, giving this flexibility to the player. But what I found in practice is that this camera freedom was actually extremely detrimental to the gameplay experience. Since these games were designed with the free roaming camera in mind, different camera angles were optimal (or even required) at different times. Sometimes you would want to zoom in to check out your new weapon graphics (badly visible from distance), other times you would need to zoom out to see the entire battlefield. Sometimes, you would need to tilt the camera up to see inside buildings, toher times down to see where you are going. Rotation also became a necessity to see around obstacles. In the end, I found myself spending half the time fighting against the camera, as opposed to actually enjoying the game, and missing those days of 2D games when camera was transparent, and not something you had to think about. So because of that, I am really hoping that with Project Eternity, Obsidian will go back to the fixed cameras of older games. What do the rest of you think?

• Like 1

Yup...

So yay for 2D!

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I am really hoping that with Project Eternity, Obsidian will go back to the fixed cameras of older games.
You'll be happy to know there'll be no such thing as camera angles. Possibly limited zooming (for a better strategical overview of a battlefield), but that's it.
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

:( I still want to zoom in behind my character..... but that is just personal preference.

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

I am really hoping that with Project Eternity, Obsidian will go back to the fixed cameras of older games.
You'll be happy to know there'll be no such thing as camera angles. Possibly limited zooming (for a better strategical overview of a battlefield), but that's it.

Actually, from my experience across different game genres, zooming OUT is always favorable for a tactical view of the field. Zooming in is only useful for either precise aiming or LOS. And ego shots. :p

(Of course, I'm assuming that the default PE camera view is fully zoomed out with the option to zoom in a bit. That's not confirmed, though.)

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

:( I still want to zoom in behind my character..... but that is just personal preference.

Well lucky for you there are a million and one other games where you can do just that.

I know.... I'm not complaining. I'm extreamly happy with how PE is going etc, But I am allowed to have a small little wish that I could.... :( Even if I could have a close up shot in the inventory/character screen I would be giddy.

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

I loved the rotating camera with mouse-wheel zoom in DA:O.

I realize that we won't get a rotating camera in PE because of the 2D isometric graphics, but I very much want mouse-wheel zoom.

If the character models are going to be 3D as previously indicated, I'd like a rotatable close-up view in the inventory/character screen.

And I'd prefer PE do without the classic black "fog of war" (or at least have a console command to clear it as in BG2). Walking around every single bit of the map just to get a good look at the beautiful background art is annoying.

Edited by ddillon

Limited zoom has already been mentioned, it'll all depend on at what resolution they end up exporting the final game graphics at. The higher the resolution, the longer the generation of the environments will take... if they have enough time to generate it at extreme resolutions, I'm positive we'll get the ability to zoom in (assuming PEs default camera view is fully "zoomed out").

Actually, from my experience across different game genres, zooming OUT is always favorable for a tactical view of the field. Zooming in is only useful for either precise aiming or LOS. And ego shots. :p

(Of course, I'm assuming that the default PE camera view is fully zoomed out with the option to zoom in a bit. That's not confirmed, though.)

This, is what I wanted my post to say. Feel like I left OUT the word OUT. ;) Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"