Funky Warriors of the 1500s: the look of PE?

to me functional = protecting vital areas, not looking like some fool who armors his torso yet leaves his legs in nothing more than pantyhose and slippers.

I've never been one for heavy armor as I think its ridiculous and impractical for adventuring... seriously, swamps and mountains anyone?

To me a simple hard leather jerkin with ring or chainmail layering + forearm and shin guards + a good sword lends itself to mobility, endurance and speed and is far superior to some fool who wears full plate but runs out of breath 30 seconds into battle leaving him vulnerable to anyone with a decent can opener.

I'm reminded of the Bronn vs that Knight guy packing full plate and kite shield in season 1 of Game of Thrones...he died with honor alright.

Edited by NerdBoner

NerdBoner, first off removing the leg armour was actually commonly done and was the first piece of armour removed in the move to less armour. Second, plate armour was easier to wear due to weight distribution than chain mail and had a high degree of mobility that did not leave the user out of breath, heat was the real problem and that occured with full suits (hence why they took off the leg armour).

Personally I wouldn't wear leather jerkin in the situation you describe, it was pretty rubbish armour and a padded jack was cheaper and more effective. I would wear either a plate breastplate or brigandine and a bascinet or kettle hat, they would give both better protection and mobility and they would also make less noise than a leather armour would give (leather squeeks!).

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I'd like to point out that using funky pants and feathered hats from this period has already been done in a very popular fantasy IP - Warhammer. So, it's not as far out as some may think and it CAN be done in a very cool way.

• Like 1

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

As you push out towards the end of the 15thC you start heading into the reign of the Tudors.

They had quite a look for their plate armour........

2Tower_of_London-Henry_VIII%27s_codpiece.jpg

This should be a mandatory look for the the higher class paladins of PE; after all this one was good enough for a future King of England!

Edited by Theobeau

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

I hope PE has better and more feasible European style armor than any upcoming computer role-playing game from any source!

• Like 1

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."