Teleportation

I'm not sure if it's been said before, but, if that's the case, I'll say it again.

Update#7 made several mentions of the ability to teleport, which I'm not sure I like. I can understand the appeal of it as a gameplay mechanic, not having to take thirty minutes just to get to the opposite side of the map (a la the Witcher), but I have always found teleportation to bring a lot of narrative problems to the worlds they involve. For example, I think one of the developers mentioned newfound continents in the world of PE people had difficulty reaching because of dangerous sea creatures. Well, why not just teleport there? Or, if your character finds himself in a tight spot, why not just teleport away? Or why doesn't the villain teleport away just before you finish the final blow?

That's my take on it at least. What do you think?

You can easily make up and specify limitations of teleportation (You can only teleport a certain distance away, you can only teleport to a structure of some sort etc.) Dimension Door in BG was a teleportation spell and it fit the lore just fine. All in all, it's not something I'm worried about, because problems of the mentioned sort are *very* easy to rectify.

Edited by True_Spike

You can easily make up and specify limitations of teleportation. It's not something I'm worried about, because problems of the mentioned sort are *very* easy to rectify.

Quite so.

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order; for the pen is mightier than the sword!

It's quite easy to make teleportation usable only when your character is out of combat. And, of course, to specify the distance. Or some binding points like it was, for example, in Hordes of the Underdark.

Edited by Pangur
obsidian-shield.jpg

I love the fact that we may be getting some teleportation (spells wise hopefully) in the game. I lvoe that stuff. There are many ways to limit teleportation - only teleport to places you've been, a certain range, material components, areas which can't be teleported into or out of, etc., etc.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.