2D Isometric Graphics (Warning: Large Pictures)

graffix  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see graphics like this in Project Eternity?

Hi there,

I pledged early to this Kickstarter, and was very excited about the part in the video presentation about the Infinity Engine, the fixed viewpoint isometric graphics in particular. This thread isn't about the roleplaying or combat mechanics or the story of the game, but purely the graphical look. What I think made the Infinity Engine games and others like Fallout 1/2 and Arcanum look so good, was the pre-rendered graphics, they looked so "realistic", like a work of art. So it got me thinking, I'm sure Obsidian isn't going to make a game that looks exactly like the Infinity Engine games except in higher resolution (although I wouldn't even complain about this), but the Infinity Engine games were made in the late 90's and the year 2000. What kind of 2D graphics could be acheived, within budget and time limitations, with modern technology?

I've been following the development of an indie adventure game called STASIS for a while now, the guy making it is apparently a professional CG artist, and in addition to that game he's also posted "tech demo" screens for other ideas he's had. So as they say a picture says a thousand words, so I'll post some...

feb2012-2.jpg

feb2012-3.jpg

feb2012-1.jpg

feb2012-10.jpgThere's also videos of these in action.

Now I'm not trying to parrot this guys stuff, but it got me thinking, one (obviously very talented) independent developer is able to put together stuff on a limited budget that looks that good, imagine what Obsidian could accomplish with up to 3 million dollars or more, experienced developers etc.

Also, there's a bit of a preconception among younger gamers that 2D graphics always look retro/pixelated, which I think this proves they don't.

There's also some screens of "tech demos" he did for a post-apocalypic setting, and a noir science-fiction one, which I'll post in a second due to image limit.

Edited by mote
  • Like 7

I thik Mote's pictures are quite stunning. The art direction for Jefferson is certainly more appropriate, but Jefferson was a while back and I think they can take the art direction and do more with the graphics. I, for one, would be happy with the beautifully crafted CG work of mote's examples with the understanding that it will be used for more genre appropriate settings. Of course, for all we know, there might be a place or two in PE that looks just like the area in mote's pics. You never know.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Whether or not the game is truly isometric (fixed perspective, equal angles/sides, etc.) doesn't matter to me that much. I think an overhead 3D camera similar to Wasteland 2 would be entirely okay. But then again I'd be okay if the game was just third-person, which I know many here most emphatically would not be okay with.

So I really could go either way.

"Understanding is a three-edged blade."

"Vivis sperandum: Where there is life, there is hope."

I'm glad no one is advocating a return of tile-based backgrounds... Loaded up Arcanum last night and it hasn't aged well, yet BG2 is beautiful, as are most of these screens.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm glad no one is advocating a return of tile-based backgrounds... Loaded up Arcanum last night and it hasn't aged well, yet BG2 is beautiful, as are most of these screens.

Nor Fallout 1/2 especially when used with a high resolution mod :yucky:

Tile-based backgrounds make me think of NWN, which I always thought looked ugly, from the very first day. Of course, they were held captive to a tool-set, which made me resent tool-sets for a long time. I don't mind 3D, but I don't think it's the end all be all. The one thing I can say about it is that it is nice to be able to rotate the camera, but if the new area you see isn't any better looking than the area you were already viewing, why should that matter? I dunno, but beauty seems to trump the rotate feature as long as you can see every relevant thing and there's nothing to be missed.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

BG2's graphics have aged quite well. Granted, the sprites are less than beautiful, but the towns and the landscapes look much better to me now than many older games with 3D graphics. I think the "painted" look may end up being a little more durable than attempts at photorealism.

A better question, "Why wouldn't I want to see graphics like that?" mote's first four contribution to the thread being amongst my favorites.

Edited by Umberlin

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

The "post-apocalyptic" setting:

Parking-Lot-1.jpg

These look great, but here's the problem: they look like pictures, and animations would be a pain to blend with this I think. Still, I've seen the videos and the PC is well integrated. If animations could be properly added I think we would have a marvel here. This should have been Fallout 3.

Edited by descalabro

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

BG2's graphics have aged quite well. Granted, the sprites are less than beautiful, but the towns and the landscapes look much better to me now than many older games with 3D graphics. I think the "painted" look may end up being a little more durable than attempts at photorealism.

Honestly, I feel like the IE games hold up better than games from two years ago. 2D art simply never becomes obsolete. I'd prefer it if this game went more in the direction of the original IE games than a lot of what I'm seeing suggested / expected. Flat, simple pictures of fantasy realms are more than good enough for me.

Hi there,

I pledged early to this Kickstarter, and was very excited about the part in the video presentation about the Infinity Engine, the fixed viewpoint isometric graphics in particular. This thread isn't about the roleplaying or combat mechanics or the story of the game, but purely the graphical look. What I think made the Infinity Engine games and others like Fallout 1/2 and Arcanum look so good, was the pre-rendered graphics, they looked so "realistic", like a work of art. So it got me thinking, I'm sure Obsidian isn't going to make a game that looks exactly like the Infinity Engine games except in higher resolution (although I wouldn't even complain about this), but the Infinity Engine games were made in the late 90's and the year 2000. What kind of 2D graphics could be acheived, within budget and time limitations, with modern technology?

I've been following the development of an indie adventure game called STASIS for a while now, the guy making it is apparently a professional CG artist, and in addition to that game he's also posted "tech demo" screens for other ideas he's had. So as they say a picture says a thousand words, so I'll post some...

feb2012-1.jpg

There's also videos of these in action.

Now I'm not trying to parrot this guys stuff, but it got me thinking, one (obviously very talented) independent developer is able to put together stuff on a limited budget that looks that good, imagine what Obsidian could accomplish with up to 3 million dollars or more, experienced developers etc.

Also, there's a bit of a preconception among younger gamers that 2D graphics always look retro/pixelated, which I think this proves they don't.

There's also some screens of "tech demos" he did for a post-apocalypic setting, and a noir science-fiction one, which I'll post in a second due to image limit.

Damn! These are awesome...

It has always been my belief that there is still a lot to explore with isometric graphics, and I've mentioned in a post somewhere that post-modern/futuristic settings have an even greater potential mainly because they allow for interaction with gadgets, motors, mechanisms, computers implemented in the game scenario (Fallout 1 & 2 come to mind) and they relate easier with mature themes. Graphics like these with animated elements make my day, and I wonder if there's a reason why this quality of isometrics is most often applied to adventure/puzzle games rather RPGs.

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

Honestly, I would be fine with pretty much any art style that looks pretty enough. Hyper-realistic, over-stylized, cartoony, gothic... I don't mind the art style too much as far as it's well executed. of course I have my personal preferences, but nothing is a deal breaker.

And while I don't care for fancy visual tech, I surely am not ashamed to say that I'm hoping for this game to look as nice and pretty as possible.

Which leads me to the the main point I want to make: I'm not really concerned about the backgrounds of Project Eternity.

If they are actually going to use 2D scenery, I'm very confident they can make these look beautiful with very little effort.

What I'm far more concerned about -especially considering Obsidian's track record (sorry guys! :p)- is how well they are going to nail characters's models, creatures and all their animations.

Animations for me are a big deal in the visual appeal of a game. I would probably pick a wireframe game with excellent, smooth animations over fancy graphics with clumsy ones.

in fact, I'm tremendously fond of games with over-stylized graphics like Another Wolrd and Darklands:

AW_arrivee_1280.jpg

dark5.gif