How important are mod tools to you?

Mod Tools  

173 members have voted

1. 1. How do feel about the prospect of modification tools for Project Eternity?

• I would prefer if development time were spent on other aspects of the game.
    • I support spending development time on creation and support of mod tools.
  2. 2. Which statement do you agree with most concerning mod tools?

• Mod tools should be very user friendly to ensure more people can use them effectively.
    • Mod tools should be very functional to ensure more can be done with them.
  3. 3. What types of mods do you typically download/enjoy most?

• Modifying underlying game rules (difficulty, rebalance, etc)
    • Creating/modifying npcs (joinable and not)
    • Creating/modifying items/shopkeepers/etc
    • Creating new areas/dungeons
    • Creating new campaigns.
    • Modifying/creating classes and races
    • Creating/modifying quests
    • Creating/modifying sounds or graphics
    • Modifying the UI
    • Other (explain)

Modding tools typically allow the player to create new content.

However the question is, how will this content even look half interesting when you have the best writers and designers working on the game?

For me the interest would mainly be in implementing a full TB mode. But I'm pretty sure that won't be possible.

But if this would be possible, as well with changing the game rules (races, spells, etc)... oh boy! Then I would all be up for it.

It would make possible for fans to re-create some old D&D games, like Darksun.

I've used mod packs in the past, but mainly because the developers stopped supporting the game.

Example: ToEE Co8 modpack because the original game was plagued with bugs. And some of the new content was also very nice (this worked for me because the combat was possibly the best in all cRPGs).

And I'm hoping for this PE to be the start of a very long term relationship.

Edited by hideo kuze

If there is the possibility of a modding community similar to what was there for Baldur's Gate II and the other Infinity Engine games, then the modding tools should be powerful. This would help keep modders around, and help perpetuate interest in sequels that use the Eternity Engine. Besides the fans that modders may attract and retain for Eternity Engine games, I think that a modding scene would help Obsidian spot modders who have a future in videogames, and to have a more likely chance of recruiting them to the studio. After all, one of the reasons why Project Eternity exists is because of the people who are part of Obsidian Etertainment - without them, it is likely that the project wouldn't have broke $1,000.

Adding infinity engine NPCs would I believe be breaking copyright laws. Also I am not sure it is that easy to boot something from one engine to another. The problem might be in taking items from one game into another game and that would not need a toolkit devised for the game. Skyrim had that being done long before the Creation Kit was released.

There is nothing stopping anyone from picking up their self created npc mod for BG2 and porting it manually to PE, if PE was moddable from the start. This is what I meant. An npc is 90% dialogue and sounds and 10% coding to get that into the game. There is absolutely nothing imcompatible about BG2 npcs with PE in this regard, text on a page is text on a page. You only need the tools to get that into PE and the time to do it.

This would be a bad thing but I can see people doing it simply because a lot of the work is done already. Interactions between npc and pc, done, interactions with merchants, with other npcs. Only slight modification to dialogue coding and you have it done.

Copyright laws have never stopped any modder making changes to existing BG npc's, adding them from BG1 to BG2, writing dialogue for them and adding items and quest content. Why would it stop them adding it to PE? A mod is a player created non-commercial, purely optional addition.

Of course I am not saying I want any of this, I am just saying that if PE gives tools to allow this level of modification then it is definitely possible.

Rabain:

The possibility of copyright infringement by modders is always a danger in any title. When it happens, it is up to the aggrieved company to notify modders to take down offending materials or face legal action. Obsidian can cover their butt here quite handily just by having players agree to a EULA that states they will not use said tools to infringe on copyright. These two things should halt copyright issues.

For example, there are some mods which combine BG1 and BG2. Others attempt to transfer IWD1 to the BG2 engine. In both cases, the original discs are required for the mod to work. Therefore, no copyrighted material in included in the mod itself. Similarly, most IE modding sites are pretty good about removing mods containing copyrighted material.

hideo:

Most of the best mods may be challenge or rules mods. These could add spells, change/add tough encounters, modify how some classes work, add new classes or racial subtypes etc.

If they release mod tools and do so early, then maybe after a while we can start seeing some NPC, then quest and finally maybe some campaign mods.

At least that is how it worked with the IE games.

Actually quite a well made poll.

If Obsidian were to work on anything that is not actual game content, then I would like to see mod tools. They extend the shelf life of a game between sequels and always create great and passionate communities.

I think it foolish for Obsidian to not at least include this as a stretch goal.

I would like to see mod tools as a stretch goal before multiplayer. Even though I rarely use mods they are fun to read about and toy with.

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

Without mods, we wouldn't have gotten games like Counter Strike, DOTA/League of Legends, Team Fortress, etc. While I'm sure the game will be moded anyway no matter what, they should make the process as easy as possible when the game. The benefits outweighs the cons (and I'm sure Obsidian has enough money to make a killer single play campaign now).

I don't know how much of their resources would have to go towards a modding tool, but I think it would be great to have one if possible. NWN only survived as more of a footnote in game's history because of its tools. There are a lot of talented people who can put out fantastic mods out there. I would also support if, like others mentioned, if they simply made the game easily open to modification and added extensive documentation and an UI application to simply streamline the programming, if that's cheaper.