How about a mysterious old pub?

I had a notion: instead of letting the player just buy a house, how about allowing them to acquire a mysterious old Pub? That would not only give them a place to stay, but also provide an opportunity to interact with visitors if they so choose. Maybe it can start off as a run-down dive that attracts a criminal element, then, depending on how the player spends money on upkeep and improvements, it could gradually turn it into a warm and cozy place that attracts merchants and travelers. Or by spending a lot, it could turn it into an elegant establishment that draws in the spoiled upper crust.

Depending on the state of the place, different types of customers can lead to unique side quests. The player could even start a family there and have their spouse run the place in their absence. (But beware of staying away for too long...)The player could shop for beverages and find the right staff as they travel the realms. The pub could also have a long, complicated history with mysterious secrets and hidden rooms.

What do you think? :w00t:

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think a dilapidated old pub that needs quests to renovate sounds like a good idea. I don't care much for the family element but it could a good camp to leave your equipment and swop members of the party?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm not sure it'd be worth the time and effort for Obsidian given the scope of the game, but I actually think it would be a neat feature.

Owning a pub could be an extra source of income for the player, but the player would also have to hire staff to both tend the bar, wait tables, and of course, act as bouncers for the rowdy mobs. Perhaps there are dozens of different folks you can recruit from for each of those positions, with the better ones costing the player more money (but potentially earning the PC more money in monthly income).

It could also act as a place where the player makes deals with folks (ie. where they come to see the PC about taking on their quest).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I am sure we will have a lot of mysterious things so why not a pub? Maybe some of the quests could be funny ones for a change of pace from the regular lash and bash dungeon crawls. I find a little humour makes a nice change. It should be a surprise though. You go expecting something horrible but fine some thing fun. I love surprises.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I think a pub would be great, Inn more like, with an upstairs living quarter for your MC, as long as its relevant to the story, say your become knighted and given land in the story of the game, and get some land with a fort on it, or somehow acquire said pub, just make it mean something, not just like, heres a house have fun.

Meh, a castle or fort would be preferable.

Or something like BG2, each class has its own stronghold.

Magi getting a tower while rangers groove and fighters getting some sort of gauntlet/training ground.

I know i sound too cliche ^_^

Edited by cyberarmy
  • Like 1

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100