Creating a Nation

Raithe

Okay, for the slightly bizarre pondering..

The random thought struck me on whether it's actually possible to create a new "nation" as it were in this day and age.

I'm not talking about the natural evolution of countries to grow, split, change politics and wotnot.

I mean more in the lines of.. if you got a few hundred folk together and settled on some uninhabited island that isn't under any countries control, could you declare it an independent nation? Creating an artificial "culture" or general differences to other societies?

What would it take to do so and be recognised as such? Established infrastructure and government? Legal issues in ownership? Having some folks say "yes, we've created a new nation, now the UN must recognise us." ?

Would the people there still be viewed as whatever "nationality" they'd originally been?

But still, throwing the floor open to general thoughts on the subject...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You would need enough guns and sufficient overseas backers with money and influence. It helps if it's in a strategically important region and you kind find a powerful patron country to back your claim. The worst thing that could happen is if your patron(s) abandon you or are the weaker of two contestants in the region, particularly if your country also has resources.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I recently watched a documentary called "How to start your own country" (

). Basically anyone can declare something their own country. Getting recognition is the tricky part. Hell, in Seborga's case, its been a country for almost 1000 years, but I believe is only recognized by Vatican City.
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It depends entirely on what your citizens <sic> want, and (as has been said) what your international stakeholders want. If you can do all those things then you can bet people will call you a country.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.