Lonesome Road - Dr Soylent

Walsingham

Something's been bugging me for days about the nuclear missiles in the new DLC Lonesome Road. I just worked out what it was.

We all know that in the Fallout universe they never developed integrated circuits. However, you need integrated circuits to make guided missiles work properly. In fact it was arguably guided missiles which drove the serious development OF integrated circuits.

The problem is: if those nukes aren't being controlled by integrated circuits (don't exist) and they aren't being controlled by valve tubes etc (too big), then what the hell is guiding them?

The answer, horrifyingly enough, must be brains. Probably human brains as in the Robobrain series of security robots.

Spoilers:

Presumably the peace protesters one hears about in game would be good candidates for inclusion in the old nose cones. Although what sense madness or combat drugs you'd need to make them hurtle down on inhabited cities... *shudder*

Further, every time you set one of the nukes off it must incinerating some poor deranged soul inside.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

While your explanation is fascinating I think you're looking too hard into it, especially considering the Fallout setting hasn't been consistent with the reinforcement of "only vacuum tubes" during the years and that much of the technology that supposedly runs on vacuum tubes really shouldn't be able to (and in many cases, shouldn't exist at all).

EDIT: Also, uh, why a new topic and in this section?

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Why? WHY?!

Because, that's why. ;)

~~

Other examples?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I approve, we should petition Bethesda to add it to the lore in FO4

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

You've also got the K9000 robogun. That uses a brain.

Maybe the nukes have raptor brains inside them. Glinting yellow-eyed eagle souls screaming for ash and blood.

OK. I really need to check my temperature. I think this fever's getting to me. :sorcerer:

-Elwood Blues

Where was it that hippies put flowers in the gun barrels of the national guard? That could be the project name.

EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_power

Apparently it would be either GINSBERG or BERKELEY

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

IF raptors in missiles, why not insects in micromissiles? Have a gun which fires little plasma packets guided by a mosquito intelligence. 'Glowworm'

-Elwood Blues

Supplemental:

Did you know that the Royal Navy slang for Nuclear weapons is "buckets of sunshine"?

Rather apposite, I thought.

-Elwood Blues

something sounds wrong with walsh history. first true integrated circuit were a private innovation from some guy at texas instruments, right? the first silicon chip were developed independent o' the texas instruments circuit by the folks at fairchild semiconductor... and the only reason we know any o' this is 'cause o' some research we did regarding william shockley. in any event, the early atlas icbms were developed and and operational before the first integrated circuit, and am honest not certain what were needed for guidance of early icbms... an analog computer and a couple gyroscopes such as the old v-2's used?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

German inventor Werner Jacobi first patented an integrated circuit in 1949. It might have been plausible to expand on his 5 transistor circuit over the next decade to become usable in a Fallout setting.

Early history

Edit to add: Come to think of it, just remembering that the game is full of hackable computers. Must have some kind of logic circuitry in there.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

something sounds wrong with walsh history. first true integrated circuit were a private innovation from some guy at texas instruments, right? the first silicon chip were developed independent o' the texas instruments circuit by the folks at fairchild semiconductor... and the only reason we know any o' this is 'cause o' some research we did regarding william shockley. in any event, the early atlas icbms were developed and and operational before the first integrated circuit, and am honest not certain what were needed for guidance of early icbms... an analog computer and a couple gyroscopes such as the old v-2's used?

HA! Good Fun!

Fair point. The main source I'm relying on is the book The Nearly Men, by Mike Green. A quick wikiblast reveals that the original ATLAS rockets were radio guided from a ground station. The MINUTEMAN series were onboard guided, and they were in the 1970s.

EDIT: Gorth, you fool, they're clearly valve computers. You can SEE the bloody valves when they get broken. Plus they're very simple.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues