Just curious if any knows if there is another difficulty setting after beating the game on hardcore. Been playing through as Lucas and not had much trouble aside from Dapper Old Gent.

Edited by Skretch0

After a couple of playthroughs I'm definitely thinking hardcore isn't that hard once you get into it - unpacking .oaf files suggest that we might be able to mod in tougher difficulty, but probably only in terms of, say, higher HP/damage/etc for enemies, which isn't great as it can distort gameplay mechanics (i.e. rollfest). It might be interesting to increase the move rate of enemies very slightly, give them more focus, and increase their attack speed very slightly - even that would make a huge difference, I'd think. Imagine being level 2 and having those Lescanzi archers/gunmen fire faster, right now they fire like they have 16th century muskets.

After a couple of playthroughs I'm definitely thinking hardcore isn't that hard once you get into it - unpacking .oaf files suggest that we might be able to mod in tougher difficulty, but probably only in terms of, say, higher HP/damage/etc for enemies, which isn't great as it can distort gameplay mechanics (i.e. rollfest). It might be interesting to increase the move rate of enemies very slightly, give them more focus, and increase their attack speed very slightly - even that would make a huge difference, I'd think. Imagine being level 2 and having those Lescanzi archers/gunmen fire faster, right now they fire like they have 16th century muskets.

I agree after getting into the Hardcore rhythm it's pretty easy. I can get one shot by most big enemies, but they have such a delay on their attacks it's almost impossible to get hit by anything you can see on the screen. Although I've died miserably to ranged enemies off screen. I think some tweaks to attack timings and increase move speed would make the game a lot harder. Not sure if I can mod my PS3 version though. :(

Playing alone hardcore is not so hard. The problem is when you play co-op online or local because your chars sometimes get stuck for the shared camera .

Edited by Alpha

Familiarity breeds contempt. :p

But yeah, except for some of the boss fights (depending on your chr/build/gear), Hardcore isn't terribly hard. It still takes me a long time sometimes tho, w/Anjali at least, because I find it difficult to teleport madly around while also attacking often enough to kill fast. There's this odd delay between ceasing to teleport (coming to a standstill) to when the abilities can be triggered which messes with my timing a lot. eg I take my thumb off the spacebar and mash an ability button but nothing happens for a second as a boss closes in...I panic and start teleporting again. Frustrating. :sorcerer:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The other way is to avoid killing any "extra" enemies when possible, perhaps, so you're lower level longer. I finished my first game at level 28 & I wasn't trying to avoid exp at all. But the way the game is designed, seems like it'd be hard to purposely avoid enough to slow leveling very much. You'd have to skip most side quests and such & just rush to the main plot points or something. On the flip side, I think you could reach max level long before the endgame, which does/would make everything up to that point a whole lot easier even on HC.

And yeah, I thought the healing when you save was kind of strange. Not usually a huge advantage, but still odd.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, but then it's not as fun. The loot system's pretty bland as it is.
Okay, what about playing as pacifist, skipping all the monsters you possibly can by kiting them and only kill monsters that you can't pass ?

And yeah, I thought the healing when you save was kind of strange. Not usually a huge advantage, but still odd.
Even stranger is that if you save again after being healed, and reload, you're not at full health. Edited by trulez

Even stranger is that if you save again after being healed, and reload, you're not at full health.

Some things are good for you in small quantities, but turn into poison in large amounts. :)

Even stranger is that if you save again after being healed, and reload, you're not at full health.

I hate that. I can understand being a penalty for die, but not makes sense saving a game to continue playing the next day to load without full health. That without mention the old style save system.

Edited by Alpha