--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have high hopes for anything from Obsidian since they crafted the only modern RPG I consider worthy of the label

Failing Fallout:

The tale of an average Joe making his way in the Mojave: Failing Fallout New Vegas

The tale of an average Joe forced out into the Capital Wasteland: Failing Fallout 3

Thanks for the review. I like to read gamer reviews ... even when I don't agree with them. Seems like the single player experience is quite solid, that's cool.

Too Human is more awesome than this game though.

Sacred 2 controls, while I guess kind of similar, are lightyears ahead of this game. Also sacred 2 has a good camera, and every player gets their own camera online. The fact that you can go anywhere in Sacred 2 does NOT promote chaos. It allows for freedom. There is only chaos in your MP game if that's how people want to play. If people are working together, then they are working together. It also means one character can head to a town and afk for a couple minutes if they need to and the other players can keep playing without kicking them out of the game.

To be honest I'd rate the game 60 right off the bat just for having gimped MP. It doesn't mean I wouldn't have fun with the single player but it deserves severe reductions for gimped MP and limited feature list alone. People review games way to highly anyway. Too Human is one of my favorite ARPG's and I'd score it 65 - 70 for instance. It had a lot of negatives but I still love the game. I'd give sacred 2 an 80 and that is hands down my favorite ARPG.

Thanks for the review, I read the whole thing, and enjoyed it, am looking forward to start playing tomorrow.

a few things though..

first off I`m a PC user.

second off, I pre-ordered this game because I loved DS1 and DS2.

why did I love them?

1. Pause.

lets you play all the characters in your party at once. lets you play on hard without dying in two hits. lets you think, lets you look, is -definitive- of the series, and what separates DS 1 and 2 from other games (also what makes ID and BG great games)

2. Open development.

based on skill usage. based on choices. based on spell/items usage. open.

what is DS3 missing?

1. Pause.

2. Open development.

3. Totally built for Xbox making the menus/camera ugly and hard to navigate [compared to any other game on the PC] =[

maybe great for Xbox/PS3 users, but not what is expected on a real system (a computer).

I mean, if we want to call this Dungeon Crawl 1. or Dungeon Adventure 1. or something like that I would have NO complaints, I just plain wouldn`t have bought the game... but it`s called Dungeon Siege 3, and has NONE of the defining aspect of 1 nor 2. I don`t think this game deserves anything over a 75/100. But I`ve only played demo, so it`s hard to take me serious...

Just a big dissapointment after looking forward to this game for the past couple years.

Doesn't change that the other issues malkere pointed out are true. Whether or not those issues hold weight with you is a different matter, but for him they take away from the experience.

Admittedly, DS3 is definitely a console game. I might have been disappointed if I had this on PC. As it happens, this kind of game is pretty new to Xbox, so I guess Im still appreciative to get a decent old-school RPG on console.

why did I love them?

1. Pause.

lets you play all the characters in your party at once. lets you play on hard without dying in two hits. lets you think, lets you look, is -definitive- of the series, and what separates DS 1 and 2 from other games (also what makes ID and BG great games)

2. Open development.

based on skill usage. based on choices. based on spell/items usage. open.

I mean, if we want to call this Dungeon Crawl 1. or Dungeon Adventure 1. or something like that I would have NO complaints, I just plain wouldn`t have bought the game... but it`s called Dungeon Siege 3, and has NONE of the defining aspect of 1 nor 2. I don`t think this game deserves anything over a 75/100. But I`ve only played demo, so it`s hard to take me serious...

I think it's harsh to say the game has none of the defining elements of DS1 and 2, because I think the biggest defining element of those games is the art direction. DS3 does an excellent job in that department.

I've always been a big PC gamer (never owned a non-handheld console until 2 years ago), so my biggest problem with the game is that it was clearly designed for consoles first and PC second, but that doesn't really impact my enjoyment of the game. I enjoyed DS1 but had some major issues with it. The character development system was boring, mainly due to it being an 'open development' system IMO. I thought DS2 was considerably better, and I consider myself a fan of the series.

DS3 is clearly quite different from the first 2 games in the series, but I honestly think Chris Taylor wanted to take the series in this direction anyway. He's on record as saying that he wanted future games in the DS series to focus on a single character for the player to control. He tried to do this with Space Siege, but failed pretty miserably. Obsidian went a different route from Space Siege while still focusing on a single character, and IMO, they did a pretty good job. They made the single-character combat intense and interesting, while giving the player a decent amount of control over character development (I'd have preferred more control, but I can live with it).

I enjoyed Too Human - and once it all clicked it was pretty good... but I can't believe you'd say it was better then DSIII.

The classes are less diverse, the loot is no better and it only has a handful of areas.

Failing Fallout:

The tale of an average Joe making his way in the Mojave: Failing Fallout New Vegas

The tale of an average Joe forced out into the Capital Wasteland: Failing Fallout 3