I say potato, you say Malvinas

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13803111

Argentina's flagging president is calling the UK arrogant for refusing to negotiate over the Falkland islands. There's a whole bunch of arguments why we shouldn't negotiate, but the one which should be universal is that the islanders themselves VOTE REPEATEDLY TO BE BRITISH. Only one islander has ever transferred citizenship in its entire history.

Argentina is trying desperately to revive the argument that this is the UK behaving as a colonialist power, but Argentina's claim dates back to the Spanish Empire, and in theory includes stretches of Brazil, Paraguay etc.

I am putting this before the forum in an attempt to muster support for the islanders right to self-determination. No more Argentine and British lives should be lost over this issue. But neither should Britain be obliged to compromise her territory for the sake of a fantasy.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If something kicks off, so be it, then Cameron will look like the grade A tard he is.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

And the fact that Washington is using "The Malvinas" to refer to the islands could be a touch worrisome..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I am putting this before the forum in an attempt to muster support for the islanders right to self-determination. No more Argentine and British lives should be lost over this issue. But neither should Britain be obliged to compromise her territory for the sake of a fantasy.

Somehow I think you chose the wrong audience.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And the fact that Washington is using "The Malvinas" to refer to the islands could be a touch worrisome..

Do you ever get the feeling that the current American administration might be just a tad hostile to British interests?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I am putting this before the forum in an attempt to muster support for the islanders right to self-determination.

You may, I think, be slightly overestimating the power of the Obsidian Forums Community.

Perhaps Freedom Fighter could start posting about UK military hardware on some Argentine boards, should put the fear of god into them. Unfortunately, judging by his avatar he might be batting for the other team and we may get propaganda about Exocets, Super Etendards and Main Battle Llamas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13803111

Argentina's flagging president is calling the UK arrogant for refusing to negotiate over the Falkland islands. There's a whole bunch of arguments why we shouldn't negotiate, but the one which should be universal is that the islanders themselves VOTE REPEATEDLY TO BE BRITISH. Only one islander has ever transferred citizenship in its entire history.

Argentina is trying desperately to revive the argument that this is the UK behaving as a colonialist power, but Argentina's claim dates back to the Spanish Empire, and in theory includes stretches of Brazil, Paraguay etc.

If the islanders vote to be British then case closed.

If the islanders vote to be British then case closed.

That should be the end of it really.

I don't give two ****s about the colonial ambitions of the old British establishment, it doesn't make me swell with British pride to know that we possess a scrap of land on the other side of the world but if the islanders want to be British then nothing should obstruct that, they've lived there long enough, squatter's rights etc :thumbsup:

And in the history of the UK being on the islands.. one person has wanted to become an Argentine citizen. And that was about a week ago.. and The Argentine President handed him the citizenship papers in person.. at a big rally commemorating the 29th anniversary of the Falklands War.

A nicely calculated political move that.

And then she promptly calls the UK "colonialist" for not wanting to negotiate away the islands even when the rest of them want to stay with the UK.

The joys of politics.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Argentinians are an ungrateful bunch. Thanks to our intervention in 1982 the military junta, y'know, a dictatorial abduct-folks-in-the-middle-of-the-night style bunch of tyrants, was toppled.

Every tinpot Argie populist since, who ironically owes their job to Margaret Thatcher, bangs on about it.

My advice to Frau Kirchner is to **** or get off the pot. The Falklands garrison is small but reasonably well-resourced. The Argentinians would be squandering mucho blood and treasure taking it militarily. Of course, that the islands sit on an oilfield doesn't really help.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Given the steadily declining share price of the companies drilling near the Falklands I don't hold much faith in oil being found. I think this is far more about a lousy Argentine administration attempting to shore up a failed economic platform with blood.

So no repeating history there. :thumbsup:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.