Obsidian cheats at research

Walsingham

Have kinda derailed.

Although to try and bridge the gap, how much of one's identity comes from those we romance?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Have kinda derailed.

Although to try and bridge the gap, how much of one's identity comes from those we romance?

How much does our perception of romance and love come from story, myths, tv and trashy novels? :teehee:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Quiet you. It's a serious question.

If my review suggests (and it did) that we derive much of our identity from those who are near us, and whom we rely on and trust... then presumably it's not a great stretch to suggest that those we love shape us.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If my review suggests (and it did) that we derive much of our identity from those who are near us, and whom we rely on and trust... then presumably it's not a great stretch to suggest that those we love shape us.

Well duh. But are you referring to filial love or romantic?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

To the original question, I am getting my Human Development major and can testify that attachment begins very young, and signs indicate there are aspects of attachment that can occur even inside the womb (e.g. Hearing a mother and father's voice and being able to recognize them outside of the womb after birth). There are some macabre studies done before ethical research practices were made into law which indicate that an untouched, unsocialized infant will have serious problems or simply, outright die at a young age as a result of a lack of attachment.

I do not have my books with me now, but when I get home I will post the sources and studies so you can further research them.

As for personal identity, this generally occurs later in infancy, but there are always exceptions. The important thing to remember about human development is that it's all a lot of generalizations based on mass observations, but there are so many exceptions, it is hard to make a broad, all-encompassing rule about how a human develops. In the example I gave earlier, a child who is unsocialized may survive and thrive due to an inherent resiliency that is not present in other children. There are always exceptions.

To the original question, I am getting my Human Development major and can testify that attachment begins very young, and signs indicate there are aspects of attachment that can occur even inside the womb (e.g. Hearing a mother and father's voice and being able to recognize them outside of the womb after birth). There are some macabre studies done before ethical research practices were made into law which indicate that an untouched, unsocialized infant will have serious problems or simply, outright die at a young age as a result of a lack of attachment.

I do not have my books with me now, but when I get home I will post the sources and studies so you can further research them.

As for personal identity, this generally occurs later in infancy, but there are always exceptions. The important thing to remember about human development is that it's all a lot of generalizations based on mass observations, but there are so many exceptions, it is hard to make a broad, all-encompassing rule about how a human develops. In the example I gave earlier, a child who is unsocialized may survive and thrive due to an inherent resiliency that is not present in other children. There are always exceptions.

Could you perhaps elaborate on the experiment I seem to recall it vaguely but don't quite remember it?

I also think that we are undermining the value of genetics here, neurochemistry would have a bearing despite lack of attachment.

Perhaps we are accustomed to calling the baggage we willfully carry through life an identity, but the fact of the matter is that we were before we became self aware. Did we not have an identity then?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Common numbers thrown around in psychology is that a person's adult personality is determined by 50% genes, 40% peer-relationships (starting from childhood), and 10% by parent upbringing. There's no research basis for these exact numbers, but they're used to point out the huge effect of genes, and the much-lower-than-commonly-expected effect of parenting.

Also, in addition to what Blank said, while attachment does begin really early on, humans are very responsive to changes and children will not be extremely traumatized even if their caretaker suddenly changes. I remember doing some course work on this, and reading in some research that poor parent-child attachment only explained 10%-15% of teenage behavioral problems. The general trend seems to be, that while having good early attachment and good parenting is good for the child's development, it's not a huge factors (as compared to poor attachment and not so-good-parenting, NOT compared to completely socially deprived, "locked in the cellar" cases).

(BTW, I'm a psychology major, but developmental psychology is definitely not my main interest.)

Edited by MrBrown

Actually I can totally believe the peer relationship figure. Even if only because they are more self-fulfilling. If you are an arsehat then eventually you will fidn yourself with only arsehat friends. Whereas I've known tonnes of people with perfectly nice parents who are themselves completely awful.

Blank, it'd be great if you could find time to post some of your sources, and maybe dwell a little further on the exceptions. It is, after all, what my friend needs to know - how to leverage the exception factors, if there are any.

EDIT: And I meant romantic love.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues