Can't access external drive

I just discovered that I can't access my Story USB external hard drive. I need to shuffle some music around, but guess what? No dice.

What in the name of artificially sweetened star spangled f*** is going on? It's my hard drive. It's plugged in. I am using win7 professional, but I'm an administrator. Seriously.

EDIT: I can play music from it. I've also tried checking/unchecking the read only option.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Moved to the appropriate forum.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Disk could be dying, could be you installed some new security software that is meddling with your permissions. Obvious thing to try is simply rebooting with the drive in, next is disabling system file protection, don't leave it off though it's there for a reason.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I assume that you checked the connection, does the system recognize the drive?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sorry about delay in replying. thanks everyone for trying to grapple with this.

- Yes the drive is recognised. I can access it and play music.

- I _believe_ I used to be able to move files around on it.

- I have tried disabling what I _think_ is file protection. 'Nothing' happens.

- Error message reads: well, there isn't one. deleting, copying, moving are all disabled. Don't even show up in the right click list.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Back up everything and format the thing i guess, assuming you have the space. If it doesn't work after that, I would toss it, not worth the risk.

Friend of mine had trouble moving stuff from his external HDDs and decided to run a defrag, half way through the program froze and the disks died. Lost everything on them.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

I've also tried checking/unchecking the read only option.

Still sounds like this is the problem, like maybe the whole drive has been made R/O, or it's being regarded as a CD.

Also, if this is the Story Station... just a thought, but as a backup device its contents may not be freely accessible by any other program but the backup software, for security/safety purposes. In otherwords, a glitch (feature!) in that software or driver (have you recently updated it?)? I've seen this happen way back when using floppies for backup with the old DOS PCTools (I think)--once the media was written to, all you could do with it was re-format. Perhaps check whether program access is exclusive?

Regardless, it may not be a Win7 problem per se. Even XP occasionally blocks full access to files copied from a CD or other source ... you will likely need a program like File Unlocker to deal with that.

Worth a shot anyway.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know: File Locking (Wiki)

Edited by kalimeeri

Sorry about delay in replying. thanks everyone for trying to grapple with this.

- Yes the drive is recognised. I can access it and play music.

- I _believe_ I used to be able to move files around on it.

- I have tried disabling what I _think_ is file protection. 'Nothing' happens.

- Error message reads: well, there isn't one. deleting, copying, moving are all disabled. Don't even show up in the right click list.

Idea 1 -

a) Right Click on the Drive and select 'Properties'

b) Find and select the 'Security' tab

c) Make sure that that your user name or group has the 'Full control' permission checked

Idea 2 - Although it's not very common some external drives have a physical switch that will set them into read only mode.

Idea 3 - I'm stumped >_<

No time to check at the minute, your solutions.

Noticed that the problem is specific to the 'unknown artist' folder. Some sort of WMP 7 bull****?

-Elwood Blues

Ohh, well then it's definitely file protection. It's probably still marked as 'in use' or reserved by a process. Or still also possible, a hardware error.

Reboot in safe mode, change current user account settings to 'never notify', type in services.msc in your search field, go to administrative tools > services > protected storage. Turn it off.

While you are doing this stay off the web, you are running windows with its immune system off.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

That sounds pretty drastic. I'm tempted to just write off those particular files.

-Elwood Blues