Books

Monte Carlo

Just bought Sharpe's Tiger which is the earliest in his career. I was torn between giving this one a go or trying the Master and Commander series by Patrick O'brien but I know Cornwell has the goods and I've heard mixed reviews about O'briens series (that is was highly improbable historically speaking).

Still working on Whiskey Rebels though and enjoying it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I agree that the battles in Sharpe do look a bit daft. But the acting is surprisingly heavyweight. Shot at a time when British actors just didn't get to the States, I think.

Having a throughly moody evening. I know all I need to do is tog up and head out to a club and I'll feel right as ninepence, but I'm sitting here chewing my lip and listening to old playlists.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Now reading Sharpe's Tiger and That Used to be Us by Thomas Friedman.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ciaphas Cain: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

Very funny 40k book. I'd been meaning to pick it up for a while, playing Space Marine and Dawn of War 2 finally gave me the motivation to do it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Heat Rises - the latest "Richard Castle" book. A fun semi-pulpy detective story. A part of me is still amused at the way they've actually created the books that the character writes in the tv series. And that they're written in a way that matches the style of the show.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Cain books are pretty funny, think a new one is due out soon. Got Old Man's War and the following three books, so that'll tide me over for a month maybe. Should also finish off the Mars trilogy, but after Green Mars it's getting tiresome.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Cain books are pretty funny, think a new one is due out soon. Got Old Man's War and the following three books, so that'll tide me over for a month maybe. Should also finish off the Mars trilogy, but after Green Mars it's getting tiresome.

Stop reading the Old Mans War series after "The Last Colony", that fourth book definitely jumped the shark.

Thomas Sowell

Well that was $10 wasted potentially then, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not useless at all. Thank you, Malcador. I'll be looking through the recommendations and maybe updating my Amazon wishlist.

I'm instantly suspicious.

I'd be happier if they were recommending outsiders on the outside. I don't need a book company to tell me to read bestsellers. ;)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

As a result of that going around the office, coworker says Dune was boring and overly descriptive. ;)

As a result of that going around the office, coworker says Dune was boring and overly descriptive. :p

Dune....boring.....who-is-this-person! Give us his name!

Actually Dune is one of my favorites of all time right up to like the fourth book, then it jumped the shark and became absurd.

Thomas Sowell

No reading Hemingway's Boat: Everything He Loved in Life, and Lost by Paul Hendrickson. If you are a fan of Papa you would enjoy it. Also reading The Art of Fielding. Everyone is raving how good this book is, I don't see it. It's ok I guess but sort of...meh.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Hm, Michelle Sagara's latest "Cast in Ruins" came out a couple of week backs.. but for some reason it's not available in the UK. Had to order it over from the states and get told that potentially it won't arrive till the 20th October..

So having one of those spots of anticipation driving me for reading it, I thought I'd grab the ebook as well to satisfy that craving. Only to find out that all the places that sell the ebook won't let someone from the UK download it. :lol:

Fans in Oslo have copies of the book. Why the hell can't folks in the UK get it? The publishing industry is tres bizarre at times...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've read a couple of Hemingway. I can see how when they came out they were very important. But now... I can get the same 'hit' from Fleming, but with racier plots and more nudity! :lol:

-Elwood Blues

As a result of that going around the office, coworker says Dune was boring and overly descriptive. :lol:

Dune....boring.....who-is-this-person! Give us his name!

Actually Dune is one of my favorites of all time right up to like the fourth book, then it jumped the shark and became absurd.

read any of Brian Herbert's Dune stuff?

i remember checking out the Butlerian Jihad stuff and it seemed really forced

hey look, here's how the Bene Gesserit started, and the Guild Navigators, and the Fremen, and the Suk Doctors, and the Swordmasters of Ginaz, and Mentats, etc etc :lol:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

See, Brian Herbert felt his dad loved Dune more than him, so the new Dune books are his attempt at revenge.

See, Brian Herbert felt his dad loved Dune more than him, so the new Dune books are his attempt at revenge.

:lol:

Thomas Sowell

Well finished Last Colony. That was...so so I suppose, nice happy ending - although kind of wanted the CU to win out in the end. Am left with trepidation about reading Zoe's Tale though, heh, an entire book from that character's POV doesn't seem appealing after the third book.

We now interrupt our regularly Scheduled Ciaphas Cain

HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

, to bring you Dungeons & Dragons: Shadowplague. A comic book, actually. Quite humorous.

Adric: My Lord, Khal, Varis, and I arrived in this tow together. Tisha aided us against the gnolls last month. I vouch for their character.

The Lord Warden: And the halfling?

Adric: I can vouch she is indeed a Halfling.

Well finished Last Colony. That was...so so I suppose, nice happy ending - although kind of wanted the CU to win out in the end. Am left with trepidation about reading Zoe's Tale though, heh, an entire book from that character's POV doesn't seem appealing after the third book.

Especially since it the entire third book re-hashed. It was obvious Scalzi signed a four book deal but only had enough ideas to write three.

Thomas Sowell

Now reading Off the Grid: Inside the Movement for More Space, Less Government, and True Independence in Modern America about people forming sulf sufficient communities with no outside electricity, utilities, government etc. It might be a better book if the author (Nick Rosen) was not such a self-rightous, pretentions, condescending, jerk.

Thomas Sowell

I finished the SW: The Old Republic book "Deceived" and thought it was pretty decent. After watching the trailers for the game, the book did a nice job of fleshing out the events.

Now I'm reading a murder mystery novel set in Medieval England called The Abbot's Gibbet. So far it is a fun read.