Sims Medieval

Anyone else pick up this game?

It's like someone sawed the arms and legs of the Sims and stapled on RPG elements. I like it far more than the regular Sims games as there's a sense of progression for both your Hero Sims and the Kingdom. I'm not sure when you win.

After about twenty hours, there are still a ton of elements I don't understand. How does my Merchant set sail for another kingdom and buy wood? I get that I need to stick items in the cargo hold and how to set sail, but not how to make him bring back wood. How does my Knight give that mysterious metal and the Curse Doomsword book to my Blacksmith? How come my Physician can cure a Sim of disease with leeches sometimes while others it tells me I've only partially cured them? Bleeding them more just kills them.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Guest Slinky

Is the gameplay still 95% going to the bathroom, eating, cleaning, taking baths, working and sleeping while the rest 5% is the stuff you actually want to do?

I've in a rather morbidly curious way have been wondering how this title is as well. Also I believe there are a huge number of bugs in the game currently, and that could be part of why some things don't seem to work (from reading a few posts on various other forums).

Is the gameplay still 95% going to the bathroom, eating, cleaning, taking baths, working and sleeping while the rest 5% is the stuff you actually want to do?

No. There are two bars: Energy and health.

You don't ever have to go to the bathroom, bathe, or clean save for some quests where you need to look presentable. Only sleeping and eating is necessary. Taking a bath gives you a small buff though so I tend to do it.

You do have to work. At 9 am each day, your hero gets two duties related to their role. So a Spy might have to pick pockets and rough up someone for information. A Monarch might have to vote in a law and listen to petitions. A Blacksmith might have to mine ore, make a sword, and deliver it to the guards. A Merchant might have to find out what the deals are for the day and convince people to by his stuff.

All Hero homes come equipped with the necessities for living and their profession. For example, a Knight starts with: bed, clothing chest, book case, chairs, table, cooking fire, training dummies, and tactical map. A Physician starts with: bed, cooking pot, table and chairs, operating table, craft table, research table, waiting room with book case and benches, and a garden with six random ingredient bushes.

Most people who want it to be just like the Sims only medieval! are going to be very disappointed. I'd say what I consider usual Sim stuff is about 10% of the game. I've looked at the tons of stuff you can buy for your Heroes but it's mostly superfluous. For all my heroes, I've bought a nicer bed, a bath, and a larder to store food.

Most of the time, you're doing your duties or questing. If you want, I can detail one of the longer, more complex quests.

I don't think they had bathrooms back in the middle ages.

The Monarch has a bathroom but that's it. You can buy a pot for your Hero to piss into and stick it into your bedchamber.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

See that just breaks the immersion for me since I know for a fact that medieval people didn't bathe. Hell I don't think the bathtub was even invented until the 1600's

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

See that just breaks the immersion for me since I know for a fact that medieval people didn't bathe. Hell I don't think the bathtub was even invented until the 1600's

King Arthur had a hot-tub, so did the Romans.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Guest Slinky
Most of the time, you're doing your duties or questing. If you want, I can detail one of the longer, more complex quests.

Please do, the game sounds more interesting to me than the earlier sims games. Except this is bound to have a truck load of expansions too.

Is the player still the universal puppet master who can directly control other NPC's in addition of your own character? I hope not, it always bugged me in sims 2. I'd like it much more if you could influence NPC's only through your own character by asking/ordering/threatening them.

And more importantly, can you summon a maid to your home and harass the hell out of her?

King Arthur had a hot-tub, so did the Romans.

Romans had bath houses in which they got together to ogle young men and King Arthur wasn't real. Also when have you ever seen a clean peasant or a bathtub in a king's bedroom, Hollywood doesn't count.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You don't ever have to go to the bathroom, bathe, or clean save for some quests where you need to look presentable. Only sleeping and eating is necessary. Taking a bath gives you a small buff though so I tend to do it.

Oh? I've seen quite a few screenies of the game recently, and I did like the look of it, but wasn't sure how un-Sims like it actually was. This perks my interest a bit more.

Do you still build things if you want, or is it all there already (sounds like you buy pre-made things)? Any strategy-building sim feel or just work+quests?

Edit: NVM, finally made myself read some reviews. Sounds like a cross between pared down Sims+Majesty (w/out the RTS part). Less construction too. Think I'll pass.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts