Yahtzee reviews

Pidesco

It does not hurt.

ugh :) I never tried to hurt you, if that's what you're implying. I'm just stating an opinion: The Witcher is a game made for the hardcore crowd, but aimed at a slightly broader audience, to try and sell to a bunch of a bit simpler gamers. it seems our understanding of the phenomenon "hardcore rpg fan" - yours and mine - differs greatly

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Psst (to everyone else) are those two mating? :)

They are just trying a new approach to a philosophical questions: What makes a crpg? We all know that The Witcher 2 was aimed at the Diablo crowd :)

Nice revisiting the thread though, I hadn't seen the Hunted video, gave me a good laugh.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Gizmo for reminding me of this thread...

Dead Island

I was tempted by this game, but the DRM on gamersgate listed '3rd part account and downloads required'. Anybody knows what that is?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thanks to Gizmo for reminding me of this thread...

Dead Island

I was tempted by this game, but the DRM on gamersgate listed '3rd part account and downloads required'. Anybody knows what that is?

Steam.

Thanks. The lesser of many evils I suppose :shifty:

ugh >_< I never tried to hurt you, if that's what you're implying.

I have completely misunderstood the "it was made with you in mind" part. Sorry.

I'm just stating an opinion: The Witcher is a game made for the hardcore crowd, but aimed at a slightly broader audience, to try and sell to a bunch of a bit simpler gamers. it seems our understanding of the phenomenon "hardcore rpg fan" - yours and mine - differs greatly

I respect your opinion but I think that the opposite is true. The game was developed with the consolle crowd in mind (infact, it plays better with a controller) and have just conserved the minimal tropes in terms of story to be taken in consideration by the niche old school rpg market. I mean, in term of combat and mechanic TW2 is pretty actiony and mainstream. The story is more complex but not that much if you analize it well (at the end, even if the plot has two branches, it's a very linear and heavy handed experience with lots of cinematics). Imho, the hardcore fame of TW2 has more to do with good communication (and PC player willingness to believe CDRed marketing) than actual game design.