recommended schools for programming

pants_happy

I live in Stoke-On-Trent. It's in the West Midlands.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

I live in Stoke-On-Trent. It's in the West Midlands.

Lets see...

University of Aberty, Dundee, up in Scotland.

University of Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

University of Teeside, Middlesbrough Area

Lincon University, Linconshire.

I'm sure there are other places, but these places all do games based courses, in programming and design. I could have gone to any, but I opted for Huddersfield, sometimes i regret that choice, othertimes I don't.

I personally feel that computer games programming is harder than computer science, I know that i personally have a much heavier work load than the computer science students, from my experience the course I am doing is basically 2 parts computer science, 1 part games.

There is a hell of alot of maths involved, it's also alot of hard work, and I mean alot of it.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

How much maths, also what level of maths is it you need? I've got GCSE maths but dropped it at A-Level would I still be able to do it with that?

Thanks.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

How much maths, also what level of maths is it you need? I've got GCSE maths but dropped it at A-Level would I still be able to do it with that?

Thanks.

Depends how smart you are I guess... Maths isn't exactly a prerequist, wasn't for me anyways.

I've had to teach myself the math, ontop of the general workload...

Trigonometry, Matricies, Vectors, Algebra, Calculas & Physics knowledge is the basics of what you need.

There is more, but that should atleast get you thinking.

As for how much of it is maths heh... All of it is at some level, programming for the most part is just maths.

If you don't like or enjoy maths - find something else.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Thanks for the info. All that maths is stuff is pretty easy, learnt most of it in yr 9.

Going to definitely look into studying programming at uni.

Thanks again.

Degree level maths is a universe away from what you learnt in year 9.

True.

But as I've done some before I know the methods of working out, rules and suchlike it shouldn't be too bad.

Maths is simple anyway, as long as you can remember the methods for working everything out.

I didn't just do it in yr 9 either I did the stuff up to yr 11 and still learn new stuff about it because almost all of my mates do A-Level and do hwk while I'm with them so I am learning new stuff anyway, just not off teachers.

EDIT: Also does anyone know of any decent basic tutorials for learnining C/C++ just eough for me to get the jist of it so I can get a basic knowledge.

Thanks.

Edited by sucky

Degree level maths is a universe away from what you learnt in year 9.

True.

But as I've done some before I know the methods of working out, rules and suchlike it shouldn't be too bad.

Maths is simple anyway, as long as you can remember the methods for working everything out.

I didn't just do it in yr 9 either I did the stuff up to yr 11 and still learn new stuff about it because almost all of my mates do A-Level and do hwk while I'm with them so I am learning new stuff anyway, just not off teachers.

EDIT: Also does anyone know of any decent basic tutorials for learnining C/C++ just eough for me to get the jist of it so I can get a basic knowledge.

Thanks.

I use books mostly, take a look on gamedev.net they have some good advice for beginners.

As for the math, yeah it's easy in a maths context but it's not always clear on what is best to use for a problem in a program, especially in games... sometimes you have to do WRONG math, to get an answer quickly, so you don't always answer the question in a correct math context.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

That is one of the reasons I liked physics.  It too, was very theoretical, and completely academic with no real world applications.  However, what it did teach you was how to deal with very complicated problems analytically. 

:devil:

Maybe you felt that way, but in the design work that I have been doing those 2nd year physics classes are still pretty valuable.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys, you know of anything in Louisiana by chance? I know L.S.U. has a class for video game design over the summer for ages like 15 and up but I dont know if they have a degree. :lol:

If money is the root of all evil.....why is the world not destroyed?

• 6 months later...

Just curious to know if anyone at OE (or any other forum goers for that matter) have heard any good things about the University I'm attending: University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. It's a strong engineering university and I know their CS degree is togher than most in the nation. They've recently added a minor in Game Design and Development and most likely they'll be adding a Bachelor's degree for GD&D in 2007. I'll be one of the first people graduating with the minor in addition to my BSCS at the end of this semester. I'm hoping the degree and my design work on my (NWVault hall of fame awarded) NWN module (and soon the NWN2 sequal) will land me a position in the games industry. But I'm looking for anything else I can do to get a leg up on the competition.

I guess I sometimes just ask myself whether the extra work getting the degree from UCCS vs just about any other University in the western US is worth it or not compared to other things I could be doing with my time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Raymond Holmes

Didn't read through the whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet.

I was pretty happy with some of the people I hired from Guildhall when I was at Terminal Reality in Dallas. I'm impressed with the program they have setup. It will give you a good glimpse into the "real" development environment.

• 3 weeks later...

A few questions. .

I've been looking into DePaul University in Illinois and Collins College in Arizona. Anyone have any input on these schools or know anyone who graduated from them?

Also, I have a bachelor's degree in Film and Theatre, with an emphasis on directing, but I did take some comp sci (mostly Java) courses for program design before graduating. Does anyone have any recommendations for master's degree programs that offer a "catch up" phase for those who ave BA's that don't directly apply?

I know DePaul offers them for their master's degrees, but their master's programs don't include game design, just game art. Some of the others just offer general MS in comp sci.

As far as outside of the classroom learning goes, is there any language anyone recommends? I can only focus on one at a time, and the choices I'm looking at starting with are C, C++, C#, and SQL and XML for database integration. With Vista on the horizon is C/C++ being shoved to the left for C# or does C++ still dominate?

Having the degree helps, because it shows you understand the fundamentals.  But a degree alone won't get you a job in this industry.

My thoughts as well. If your primary motivation for attending university is to acquire employable job skills, I'd say save yourself the cost of tuition and acquire said skills on your own. Any reasonably intelligent person is capable of teaching him or herself how to program. Just teach yourself and get involved in mod projects, as that is far more likely to get you into the industry than merely possessing a Bachelors in CS.

American higher education has acquired an increasing vocational focus over the last 60 years or so. As such, most High School students looking at colleges are thinking only in terms of career preparation, which misses the point of a university education entirely. What a university education has to offer is the intellectual development and the wisdom to live a more humane, thoughtful, and fulfilling life. That may be something you are interested in, and if so look for a University with both a CS major and a solid core curriculum that has a historical and humanistic focus balanced out by mathematics and the natural sciences.

edit: just realized this thread is nearly three years old, and as such the original poster is probably well into his college career if he chose to go that route.

Edited by ScottishMartialArts

C# is used as the main programming language for the XNA platform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_XNA

XNA is great so long as you realise whatever you develop will need PS 2.0+ just to entertain working, I believe this also applies for simple 2D sprite games aswell.

While XNA is a great little tool for fast development of small scale titles it's not without issues, of which are too numerious to name here.

I've mostly written code in C++ and DX 9.0c, XNA while easy enough to use doesn't work in exactly the same manner, there are difference which make sence on one level (Scrapping the fixed function pipeline) and others that don't (no model space so to speak so everything is rotated as if fixed to the world axis, oh and general difficulties in regards to boned animations which aren't currently officially supported) , despite it basically being a wrapper around Managed DX 9.0c.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

• 3 months later...

I am teaching two game courses at Southern New Hampshire University (www.snhu.edu). The school is located in Manchester, New Hampshire. We have a BS degree program in Computer Games. I have also posted a web site for teaching C++ using the NWN2 environment (www.nwn2scripting.com). I hope folks find this information useful. Also our New Hampshire Technical Institute (located in Concord, NH) offers a two year degree program in Computer Games. They are at: www.nhti.edu. One of our goals is to attract the computer games industry to our area. We think that NH is a great place to live and to have a business. If I our staff can be of further help in this forum, please let me know.

Tom Adamson

Professor Information Technology

Southern New Hampshire University

• 1 year later...