Cars, CARS, cars, CARS!

Calax

I need a car that'll handle horrible weather (going to Iowa, gonna drive it there) and is fairly reliable. I've currently got a '96 camery with 190k miles on it and some surface damage if you're wondering (front right light and fender is busted, antenna no longer works/is mostly missing, and the undercarrige cover hangs about an inch and a half below the engine than it's supposed to).

Anyway, Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Subaru. Not quite as reliable as Toyota/Honda but still pretty decent in that area.

Basically, something with all wheel drive. It's not full-time 4x4 but it does make a difference in bad weather, as long as you're not trying to chug up a sloppy mud hill (that's what 4x4 is for, haha)

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Price range?

I'd second the Subaru suggestion. I have a Honda CR-V that is also nice with all wheel drive. If you can spend a bit more, I'd suggest a Jeep, as they are also babe magnets.

I think around 3-4k for a used vehicle.

That will limit you some. In fact you might want to stick with what you have until it dies, and try and save up a bit more. You can buy a used car at that price, but it won't be much better than what you have. If you can get to about 8-10k, you can pick up a decent used jeep or small truck that will be good in the weather and won't have 100,000 plus miles.

I'd really look at the different types of jeeps, Cherokees, Wranglers, even the Liberty. Subarus are a bit pricier, at least used.

What is your commute? Hobbies? How much bad weather driving are you anticipating?

Don't want to hijack your thread calax but I need some recommendations for a car as well. Price range is like 20-22K. I don't have any real requirements becuase I mainly only drive downtown for school and hopefully soon a job as well but obviously something with good mileage, reliability, and looks pretty decent.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Don't want to hijack your thread calax but I need some recommendations for a car as well. Price range is like 20-22K. I don't have any real requirements becuase I mainly only drive downtown for school and hopefully soon a job as well but obviously something with good mileage, reliability, and looks pretty decent.

Honda Accord, yo. It's the best car on the market at 20k. It's the most reliable, cheapest to maintain, mileage is as good as you can get without going hybrid (which has other issues), it's more spacious than most comparable sedans, and I think it looks fantastic.

That will limit you some. In fact you might want to stick with what you have until it dies, and try and save up a bit more. You can buy a used car at that price, but it won't be much better than what you have. If you can get to about 8-10k, you can pick up a decent used jeep or small truck that will be good in the weather and won't have 100,000 plus miles.

I'd really look at the different types of jeeps, Cherokees, Wranglers, even the Liberty. Subarus are a bit pricier, at least used.

What is your commute? Hobbies? How much bad weather driving are you anticipating?

Probably won't be driving much, but basically 6 months of the year you're stuck in snow (this is Iowa). We saw an accord for about 4 grand. The big thing about mine is that the underside is hanging down and it sucks.

I think you should watch some of the show Top Gear. i doubt it will find you a car but it's certainly entertaining.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't know about America, but...

In the UK the rule of thumb is that Japanese cars a good - reliable, lots of features, value for money but lack residuals. 'Residuals' is car salesman talk for a vehicle that holds value. Japanese cars don't. My friend in the sheep-skin coat who flogs used cars tells me the car with highest residuals he's seen recently is the BMW reincarnation of the Mini.

For Calax, I think he needs a reliable heap that will keep him going for a bit before he consigns it to the great junk-yard in the sky. So go Japanese, I would agree with the previous poster's suggestions.

For Theslug, I say go German. The Germans make the best cars in the world. I drive older German cars (currently a 10 yr old Beemer) and always get a decent return on my outlay when I sell them or trade them in. And I use cars as tools - A - B with kids and a dog and shopping... not because I'm a car afficianado. So buy yourself a five - seven year old BMW 5-series estate and just keep it running and you won't be disappointed (this is also far more environmentally friendly than buying a Toyota Pious). I'm also a big fan of VW if you want to spend less - VWs are Audis without the price tag.

Obviously, I want an Aston Martin DB5 or a Hanomag flak halftrak, but life's not like that.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Very very very important: don't buy an Audi. It is unclear whether buying an audi turns you into an arsehole or arseholes buy audis, but they go hand in hand.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Very very very important: don't buy an Audi. It is unclear whether buying an audi turns you into an arsehole or arseholes buy audis, but they go hand in hand.

The same applies tenfold for BMW's a.k.a "the ****mobile"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

^ I cry foul!

Yeah, the businessman in the 'M' series or rod-hog in an X5 I agree. My ageing 5 series is basically a Volvo but with better engineering. My BMW is covered in mud, full of dents and is true to the spirit of the marque.

BMW make awesomely engineered cars. If people buy them as status symbols that's their lookout.

As for Audi - knobheads started buying them circa 2005 when the new radiator grille design came in. Check out the 2002-2004 Allroad Estate for performance and price - an arse wouldn't buy or drive one but it's an excellent gran tourer in the old Audi style>

sonsofgygax.JPG

I object to this sweeping generalization. It is true that many great examples of douchebaggery drive Audis, but its far from a universal rule.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

^ I cry foul!

Yeah, the businessman in the 'M' series or rod-hog in an X5 I agree. My ageing 5 series is basically a Volvo but with better engineering. My BMW is covered in mud, full of dents and is true to the spirit of the marque.

BMW make awesomely engineered cars. If people buy them as status symbols that's their lookout.

As for Audi - knobheads started buying them circa 2005 when the new radiator grille design came in. Check out the 2002-2004 Allroad Estate for performance and price - an arse wouldn't buy or drive one but it's an excellent gran tourer in the old Audi style>

From what I've heard about Beemers tho is that after some mileage they become maintenance hogs.

^ Not if you service them regularly, but yah a BMW isn't the cheapest car to service and maintain. However, I used to run a Volvo that on aggregate cost more because it wasn't as relaible and spent more time in the shop.

Mercedes are killers for maintenance too.

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ Not if you service them regularly, but yah a BMW isn't the cheapest car to service and maintain. However, I used to run a Volvo that on aggregate cost more because it wasn't as relaible and spent more time in the shop.

Mercedes are killers for maintenance too.

I suppose I could run with a BMW. One of my friends in Iowa works as a mechanic so it'd probably be cheaper to maintain.

Just looked at a 323 from a pair of "flippers" I like the body style and engine, but it was to small for me and the guys who were "flipping" weren't exactly all that honest.

One of my dads' co-workers races BMW's and we're probably going to ask him to find me a 3 series that we can look at. Unfortunately my parents are going to Iceland this week so urgh.

Yep, the three series is a bit narrow inside but a station wagon (sorry, we call them estates here) has a good cargo area. The five series is perfect, but it has good residuals and might be a bit too pricey for what you have in mind at the moment.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yep, the three series is a bit narrow inside but a station wagon (sorry, we call them estates here) has a good cargo area. The five series is perfect, but it has good residuals and might be a bit too pricey for what you have in mind at the moment.

I didn't mean narrow o:) I meant short, my head is almost bumping into the roof.

I didn't mean narrow :ermm: I meant short, my head is almost bumping into the roof.

That's a problem a lot of tall people get into with cars; there are some we just physically can't get behind (as is its a bit of a chore getting into my car although I basically fit).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I didn't mean narrow ;) I meant short, my head is almost bumping into the roof.

That's a problem a lot of tall people get into with cars; there are some we just physically can't get behind (as is its a bit of a chore getting into my car although I basically fit).

yep, I'll never get a vette or anything because of how low it is. The BMW was small, but I still fit (barely) and thus a slightly newer larger model would work.

Just thinking outside the box, but have you considered riding everywhere on the back of a large baboon?

-Elwood Blues