Mass Effect 2 Discussion

Well that kinda sucks. :(

How many DLC weapons are there? Because frankly, it'd be a bit too complicated for me to go get said DLC.

I probably should have said pre-order rather than DLC. At the moment it looks like 3 extra weapons. A sniper rifle, the CE AR and Gamestop heavy weapon. I think that's it.

The Zaeed DLC contains a flamethrower heavy weapon as well.

Really? I didn't do his mission the first time around. Is it any good? I ended up sticking with the rocket launcher for most of the game.

Edited by Deraldin

It's very effective but only useful at close range, a little too close for many of the minibosses you'd use it on, heavy mechs, etc. I don't know if it does more damage than other heavy weapons, I stuck with the Collector Beam when I got it.

So who's all beaten the game? I ran into something in the end sequence and wanted to know if it was just me / a weird glitch.

I could've sworn it wasn't just me, but at the point right before they reveal the Human Reaper (which in itself was kind of goofy, but might offer some insight down the road as to how the synthetic race of the Reaper came about) there's a shot of the ceiling of the chamber and I swear to God there's like a crack in the ceiling that's a TV screen and you can actually see the Illusive Man for a brief instance through it. When I saw that I thought "he's behind it all" and so I ****ed him over. Did anybody else see that or was it some bizarre glitch?

Edited by Pop

It's very effective but only useful at close range, a little too close for many of the minibosses you'd use it on, heavy mechs, etc. I don't know if it does more damage than other heavy weapons, I stuck with the Collector Beam when I got it.

So who's all beaten the game? I ran into something in the end sequence and wanted to know if it was just me / a weird glitch.

I could've sworn it wasn't just me, but at the point right before they reveal the Human Reaper (which in itself was kind of goofy, but might offer some insight down the road as to how the synthetic race of the Reaper came about) there's a shot of the ceiling of the chamber and I swear to God there's like a crack in the ceiling that's a TV screen and you can actually see the Illusive Man for a brief instance through it. When I saw that I thought "he's behind it all" and so I ****ed him over. Did anybody else see that or was it some bizarre glitch?

I didn't see it myself, but I have heard that other people did see that. I'll have to keep an eye out for it this time. Do you have a shot of where it was?

I've been playing since Friday and I'm at the

derilict Reaper

So far I really like it, certainly an improvement over the first game. Even though the combat plays exactly the same, they have added some little nuance into each of the quests, so that combat never feels boring or tedious. The voice acting is great and most of the characters are more interesting than the bunch in ME1. Speaking of characters I guess Jacob is the Carth/Kaiden in this game? His loyalty mission was really weird as well. I think the best ones are Miranda, Mordin and good old Garrus.

As for negative stuff, the limited number of weapons and the total lack of any kind of statistics for the few we get is very disappointing. Most of the heavy weapons suck, I'm pretty much always using the particle beam. The rocket launcher might just as well be shooting folded up paper balls for all it's effectiveness.

@GreasyDogMeat: Thane is voiced by Keythe Farley.

Edited by Purkake

Anyone know the voice actor for the Thane assassin character is? He almost sounds like Lance Henrikson. IMDB doesn't list him unfortunately. Its driving me nuts because I know I just played/watched something with this actor in it...
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0267660/

Totally unconfirmed AFAIK. Others think http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0089141/ .

Edited by Oner

Anyone know the voice actor for the Thane assassin character is? He almost sounds like Lance Henrikson. IMDB doesn't list him unfortunately. Its driving me nuts because I know I just played/watched something with this actor in it...
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0267660/

Is that really the voice actor? Or is that the placeholder that was replaced? I don't recognize any previous work yet his voice sounds so damn familiar.

Maybe its just that it sounds like Henrikson and it makes me think I know the voice from somewhere... :wacko:

It was literally for a split second.

It was when you first come upon the Human Reaper, in that chamber. The camera jumps to a shot of the chamber and the Illusive Man's up in the crack. It was weird.

I just played that section, but didn't see it again. Either it's not there, or I'm just not looking in the right spot. :wacko:

As for negative stuff, the limited number of weapons and the total lack of any kind of statistics for the few we get is very disappointing. Most of the heavy weapons suck, I'm pretty much always using the particle beam. The rocket launcher might just as well be shooting folded up paper balls for all it's effectiveness.

At least there are more distinct weapons than in the original game. I'll have to disagree about the rocket launcher though. It'll one shot most non mini-boss/boss enemies and it doesn't require line of sight to use which is really helpful.

Edited by Deraldin

I didn't manage to hit anyone behind cover with the rocket launcher.

Shockwave works better for that - it basically ignores cover.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I didn't manage to hit anyone behind cover with the rocket launcher.

It only sometimes works against enemies behind cover because you can't manually designate a target. Anything in the open gets slaughtered as you stand behind your own cover and shoot around corners.

Edited by Deraldin

Was good fun, but intensive to the point of being exhausting. Lots of good stuff, love the interrupts, the cinematics are mind-blowing (I was REALLY leery of them based on the trailers) and the final mission is crafted really well - those are the initial impressions. I'll have to let it sink in a bit (clocked in quite a few hours over the past 2,5 days), but the game kind of felt a bit TOO tight, as opposed to "everybody blathers their whole life's story if you just look at their general direction"

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Was good fun, but intensive to the point of being exhausting. Lots of good stuff, love the interrupts, the cinematics are mind-blowing (I was REALLY leery of them based on the trailers) and the final mission is crafted really well - those are the initial impressions. I'll have to let it sink in a bit (clocked in quite a few hours over the past 2,5 days), but the game kind of felt a bit TOO tight, as opposed to "everybody blathers their whole life's story if you just look at their general direction"
Edited by Deraldin

Damnit, Purkake, spoilers!

Also biotic powers are now mostly useless since any sort of amor blocks them. I'm pretty much only using warp with the occasional shockwave.

EDIT: Mmk, kinda misread.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Another of the many things I love about this game is the pacing. I'm approaching 40 hours of gameplay and it has almost all been spent either in dialogue or doing missions. ME1 took up a lot of time driving around or riding in elevators. ME2 does have the time suck of planet scanning, but I haven't spent that long on scanning either.