So I got to thinking about games communities, Intellectual Property....

Nightshape

I wonder how people would react to taking the Jagged Alliance franchise, and porting it over to consoles. Dare I say potentially ditching TB mechanics as well.

^ That is the sort of thing I'm on about.

You are so gonna burn! ;)

"Am I? but I believe my JA reboot would make more money, I have the market data to back it up. I don't need the all the old fan's, it's a total win!"

JA is a game very close to alot of peoples hearts... But I genuinely think a company could take the IP, screw with it, and make a more widely appealing game.

That's the kind of thing I'm on about, I believe they would have to do that to truly be successful. Ala FO, OFP, DX etc...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I wonder how people would react to taking the Jagged Alliance franchise, and porting it over to consoles. Dare I say potentially ditching TB mechanics as well.

"Am I? but I believe my JA reboot would make more money, I have the market data to back it up. I don't need the all the old fan's, it's a total win!"

JA is a game very close to alot of peoples hearts... But I genuinely think a company could take the IP, screw with it, and make a more widely appealing game.

That's the kind of thing I'm on about, I believe they would have to do that to truly be successful. Ala FO, OFP, DX etc...

Are JA fans any more hardcore than FO fans? 'Cause I didn't think it got more rabid than FO fans. Also, I don't think Invisible War was as successful as Deus Ex, though the upcoming DE3 may do better.

...Yeah, but a new Jagged Alliance style game would need a decent budget...

Not realy, all they need to do is not to make it on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, and release it only for DS and PSP...

Was the JA DS port a big seller? Because I'd imagine that would be the litmus test whether anyone thought a new DS game would be worth it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not realy, all they need to do is not to make it on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, and release it only for DS and PSP...

Was the JA DS port a big seller? Because I'd imagine that would be the litmus test whether anyone thought a new DS game would be worth it.

the fun about DS and PSP ports is, that it does not need to became big seller to make ****loads of profit... budget for DS/PSP games is usualy 10-100x lower, so you need to sell only a fraction of copies to be financialy successful... The biggest money maker this year was without doubts Dragon Quest IX, made only for DS... it sold 2.3 million copies in first two days, and over 4 million on 26.09.2009 and the most funny thing about it is that compared to GTAIV or Fallout 3 the budget used for development was laughable... Square Enix is now bathing in money...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Are JA fans any more hardcore than FO fans? 'Cause I didn't think it got more rabid than FO fans. Also, I don't think Invisible War was as successful as Deus Ex, though the upcoming DE3 may do better.

I couldn't comment on IW success because I don't know, it's fairly obvious that it won't always make the transition and be successful but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

It's shocking how rabbid the old gaurd fanbase's can get.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I don't think it sold all that well. It was fairly clunky, they didn't do much to make it play well on the DS. I bought it and enjoyed it, but I may be the only one. There was also no advertising at all. So I'm not holding my breath for it to re-invigorate the series.

There are already quite a few mercenary with attitude FPS games, so yeah, I'm not sure why you would need JA to do one of them. I guess an FPS with AIM and a few other JA nods could be interesting. I think you would need really good AI to make it decent, so you could really tell the difference between a good merc and a bad merc.

I don't see the point of a non-turn-based JA. If the IP is worth anything, it's the tactical combat aspect.

Also, it's totally doable on consoles, especially as a turn-based game.

I wouldn't reject a RT Jag 2 out of hand, A RT with pause would probably work OK, but there is a lot more to making a JAg 2 game than TB vs RTwP.

Start cutting out sectors, militia, mines, dynamic campaigns etc and so forth and I'm not interested. Not becuase the game isn't not like Jag 2, butr becuase its not a game I am interested in anymore. Linear, mission based squad level games are pretty boring. What makes Jag 2 and XCOM so awesome is that they are not that.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I love JA2, it's in my top three all time games.

If they made a console game out of it I wouldn't have thrombosis. OK, I'd be unlikely to play it but so what?

Thing is, and as others have hinted, what is Jagged Alliance without the strategy map and the tactics? It's any number of generic merc games with a cheesy 80's action movie theme. Fallout is different - it's such a fully fleshed-out world with a unique style. Although I'm hardly of the Fallout taleban, I can see why people want to protect it. Imagine MT:W2 without the strategy map. It just ain't right, is it? It's like taking the burger out of a Big Mac and insisting that it's still a Big Mac.

As for RTwP... I've never seen a real-time game plausibly capture the tactical level use of firearms in a squad level game. Hey, I'd love to see a developer try and succeed, I'm sure there is a way.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Thing is, and as others have hinted, what is Jagged Alliance without the strategy map and the tactics?

Lets be fair now, the best tactic in JA2 was waiting around the corner (or better yet in a building) to interrupt shot the guy in head :lol:

Thing is, and as others have hinted, what is Jagged Alliance without the strategy map and the tactics?

Lets be fair now, the best tactic in JA2 was waiting around the corner (or better yet in a building) to interrupt shot the guy in head :lol:

Well, it makes sense. Ambushing has always been a successful tactic.

Just calling it how it is.

I know that games like it and XCOM are typically referred to as "tactical" games but I often don't find a whole lot of tactics actually being required. I consider them tactical in the sense that they are small scale/low level battles.

The 1.13 HAM mods are great for adding suppression and whatnot, but at the same time, they also tweaked sniping and made it exceptionally powerful.

The problem, as with pretty much all games, is that the AI isn't up to the task to prevent gamey solutions.

I know it's difficult, and I'm as guilty as the next guy with a Barratt Light Fifty and a high marksmanship score, but you don't have to use cheese tactics.

As for the mooks lining up to be shot - well it is a homage to cheesy 80's action movies :lol:

sonsofgygax.JPG

I know that games like it and XCOM are typically referred to as "tactical" games but I often don't find a whole lot of tactics actually being required. I consider them tactical in the sense that they are small scale/low level battles.

Which wil always be a limitation of AI's. But again, the scenario is preetty unrealsitic anyway. If 6 mercs tried to take on a small army that acted the way it was supposed to, the 6 mercs wouldn't last very long. Ultimately it IS a game, so at times it will fill gamey.

but Jag 2 has more tactics to it then other games.

Additonally, calling XCOM and Jag 2 tactical games is undervaluing them. They are both tactical ganes with a strong degree of strategic planning and control. For both games, a great deal of the gameplay ocurs outside of the tactical map. XCOM even more so then Jag 2. Remove that combo of strategy and tactics and both games lose a lot of what I like about them.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This is because turn based tactical games stopped progressing 10 years ago. I remember heated arguments what should be improved in JA2 and Xcom but none of us expected that genre would just die. Turn based AI with modern computers could do some really advanced moves (as well as removing ultra stupid hex movements with better systems).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

turn based tactical games stopped progressing 10 years ago.

Interesting point. I had never really considered that.