How do RPG designers write quest plans?

bhlaab

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
For example, do they use flow charts or Excel or what?

MS WERD + occasional flowcharts usually. Sometimes with a little photoshop/illustrator work over screenshots or drawings.

l33t skillz of da designer!

No Excel spread sheet? But you guys are like producers and have special Excel powers!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

MS WERD + occasional flowcharts usually. Sometimes with a little photoshop/illustrator work over screenshots or drawings.

l33t skillz of da designer!

No Excel spread sheet? But you guys are like producers and have special Excel powers!

Excel can be a dangerous tool in the hands of the wrong people... Wasn't there something about Icewind Dale 2 and missing Armours in the released version of the game?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ohya Excel too, though that's usually reserved for system designers and producers. Actually, I learned my Excel skills as a producer and they do come in handy for system design...

I actually just finished a pretty nutty DPS spreadsheet for SEKRAT PROJEKT that would make WoW theorycrafters proud.

You mean just write out the scenario and all actions as prose? That seems like it would be a huge pain for anything but the most linear of quests.

You mean just write out the scenario and all actions as prose? That seems like it would be a huge pain for anything but the most linear of quests.

OTOH, but if you were dealing with something with a fair amount of backdrop to it, or where the consequences could get quite involved, you might want more information than you could fit into a small box.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Ohya Excel too, though that's usually reserved for system designers and producers. Actually, I learned my Excel skills as a producer and they do come in handy for system design...

I actually just finished a pretty nutty DPS spreadsheet for SEKRAT PROJEKT that would make WoW theorycrafters proud.

Further reiterating the importance of my observation of designers. They're almost producers *ahem* :ermm: .

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

• 1 month later...

Someone should write a graphical quest designer program that can be dropped into a game engine and will run perfectly first time. It wouldn't surprise me if this has already been done by the larger game studios, because it would be very inefficient to script RPGs the old fashioned way.

I do see what you mean. You'd think it would be a big eater of time and effort.

The only danger I can see, as they say, is that you could get straightjacketed by the quest designer.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I do see what you mean. You'd think it would be a big eater of time and effort.

The only danger I can see, as they say, is that you could get straightjacketed by the quest designer.

My idea is a cross between a state diagram and scripts. What you'd do is draw out the diagram (for everything that goes on in the game) with descriptions for the states and transitions in text, as well as a link to a script or to a lower sub-state diagram. If you pre built some unit scripts beforehand, with basic quest tasks/operations that are known to work correctly, you could lay out a correct RPG pretty quickly. Once that is done you would go in and add the detail, by adding to your unit scripts in an object oriented inheritance kind of way.

Edited by Davaris