Bioware/Bethesda appreciation thread

I must be misreading or misinterpreting something.

Daggerfall was not top of the line graphics. It was considered ugly as sin on the day of its release. That and its bugs were the 2 big knocks against it.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I remember reading one online review at the time of release which said Daggerfall had awesome graphics. And it wasn't even that positive about the game. It was weird.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Bethesda games really mess with game reviewer minds.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Daggerfall was not top of the line graphics. It was considered ugly as sin on the day of its release. That and its bugs were the 2 big knocks against it.

Morrowind was the big one I was referring to. The big deal with Morrowind was that FPS games were king at the time, and Morrowind was really the only non-shooter that was competing with the FPS games on a graphical level.

NWN came out at the same time, which had it's charms graphically, but it wasn't going to be confused with any FPS games.

Morrowind was the big one I was referring to. The big deal with Morrowind was that FPS games were king at the time, and Morrowind was really the only non-shooter that was competing with the FPS games on a graphical level.

OK that makes a lot more sense. MW definitely raised the bar on crpg graphics. To this day, some of the best looking water in a rainstorm I've ever seen in a game. But while it had pretty great enviormental graphisc the character models and hair and faces were terrible. Plus the environmental graphics were so static that it was almost like running round in a painting.

I would say it was really with Oblivion than Bethsoft and crpgs and top notch graphics become so connected.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I remember reading one online review at the time of release which said Daggerfall had awesome graphics. And it wasn't even that positive about the game. It was weird.

Daggerfall came out when the crpg was at a pretty low point. A year or two later would give us Might and Magic 6, Fallout, and Baldur's Gate.

NWN came out at the same time, which had it's charms graphically

It... did? Like what?

Seriously, Infinity Engine games may be in 2D, but they look a hell of a lot better than NWN1.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

It... did? Like what?

Seriously, Infinity Engine games may be in 2D, but they look a hell of a lot better than NWN1.

People were able to do some pretty amazing things with the NWN toolset graphically. I found many mods to be fairly stunning.

You guys really are not very good at appreciation threads.
:lol:

Bioware - When I found out that I was an evil sith lord in KotOR, I was taken completely by surprise. Bravo! I look forward to Dragon Age, I am sure I will devour it like every other Bioware title. Bioware is one of the only companies that consistently lets me avoid fighting in their games by having a high speech skill, and that rocks.
:(

Bethesda - Daggerfall was one of the first games that really made me feel like I was living in a virtual world. It was my first really satisfying sandbox game. There was a time when RPG's and top of the line graphics only met in Bethesda titles, and I would say they forced other developers to rise to the challenge. Fallout 3 was a blast!
Its great except that its kind of like making a photo realistic, havoc enabled Tetris; The result is undeniably beautiful, and focuses most on what's least important.

FO3 is the best of TES4 with a new coat of pixel paint, minor derived gameplay changes, & copious digital gore. I just don't see anything that I liked of the original games in it. Though the landscape is phenomenal!

Edited by Gizmo

It... did? Like what?

But it made great strides in the bouncy cleavage™ technology.

Edited by Purkake

BIO is the best RPG developer ever.

As for Bethesda goes, I have nothing good to say, sorry.

Um...... Bioware killed KOTOR. I despise them.

I wouldn't bother arguing with Volourn.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Whoever designed the Sunri murder trial in K1 should get an award. That was the best quest in that game, and is definitely a good example of a more morally ambiguous quest.

Other than that, they made KotOR, which Obsidian improved tenfold with K2. Same goes for NWN2 (Particularly MotB), BG2, and PS:T.

Yes.

HAHHAHA! And for those who do not have an MMO-capable computer? Besides, Kotor 1 sucked in comparison to even an unrestored, unmodded, TSL.

~Or those that refuse to play MMO's.

Me, I refuse any game that lacks a decent single player campaign and/or won't work on my current hardware.

*Or one that requires an internet connection for anything except optional multiplayer.

A non MMO-capable computer is pretty much a non-capable computer.
Actually there are quite a few places in the US where you can get a really good computer, but cannot get really good internet connectivity. Quite a lot of folks are stuck with Dial-up for simply not having the option of DSL or cable. Edited by Gizmo

A non MMO-capable computer is pretty much a non-capable computer.
Actually there are quite a few places in the US where you can get a really good computer, but cannot get really good internet connectivity. Quite a lot of folks are stuck with Dial-up for simply not having the option of DSL or cable.

Check out the World of Warcraft thread, it's not a good computer.