Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

kingofsquid

RB vs GH  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better and why? Vote!!

• Rock Band
    • Guitar Hero
    • Alanschu playing the guitar

I prefer GH because it allows you to make your own character(world tour) and HAS characters including the " super character" that are harder to get or more expensive than the others: Lou, Rock God, and Grim Ripper (who was discontinued after II). Also, World Tour has real guys such as Ted Nungent, Sting, Zakk Wylde, and (my hero) Ozzy Osbourne. And better songs.

... Rock band does have extra characters, they just want the players to feel like it's THEM in the game rather than some dink who's already been there and done that. WT has some better mechanics for the actual instruments, but RB2 has better multiplayer options (IMO).

Also the track list comes down to personal preference rather than anything else. But Harmonix generally has a better record of picking a mixture of classics and new stuff that'll keep things interesting.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Alan is our geetar hero, baby.

Hey, who is the one who has FCed La Grange, Slow Ride, What I've Done, Assassin, an Mississippi Queen all on Hard or Expert in less than one year of xp. :p

I voted Alan playing guitar though.

Obsidian geetar hero can be a shared title. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah I don't think this is the kind of forum for either of these games. Many of the regulars are against them on principle until they bring back turn-based solos, or whatever. The majority are not active enough to be standing up for a minimum 2 minutes of gameplay.

Yeah I don't think this is the kind of forum for either of these games. Many of the regulars are against them on principle until they bring back turn-based solos, or whatever. The majority are not active enough to be standing up for a minimum 2 minutes of gameplay.

Don't forget the 2D isometric set design and striking in-game consequences for your choice to use a tri-tone substitution and play the B dimished scale over that G7!

For myself, I have only played Guitar Hero (I think it was #3) for about a half-hour.

I don't think that "many" people are against them. They are more of a way of handing out with friends and having fun than serious games.

My earlier comment was more about the increasing number of plastic instruments that every game comes with. It's dying down a bit now, but still.

Edited by Purkake

GH is fun when you're playing by yourself, although I'm not quite as good as the guys playing it. RB is a blast with a group. For some reason I always get stuck with the vocals. It's embarrassing alone, but fun with another vocalist.

Edited by Gina

In all seriousness, even though I don't play either game very often I'd go with Rock Band, because by and large when I like the core concept of a game I tend to credit the designers. The people who created both Rock Band and the first two Guitar Heros make up Harmonix. Activision has been churning out samey sequels featuring big names in middle-of-the-road rock / metal (or aping Harmonix via World Tour) while Harmonix looks to be making a cogent effort to diversify their song portfolio and what's more, their office culture promotes, from a PR standpoint at least, real passion for music, and is Silicon Valley-esque in its employee friendliness (though to be fair, I'm sure Harmonix employs far fewer **** than your average Valley firm)