Divinity 2

Morgoth

The Larian QA people are really a bunch of nice people. I emailed a dude my savegames today and he helped me directly out (because I got stuck again). That's what I call service!

Finally made it to Aleroth!

That sounds suspiciously like World of Warcraft's world Azeroth...

• 2 weeks later...
The German version contains English text anyways.

Yeh, I heard something about changing language entry in Windows registry which supposedly works... but I can read & understand German fairly well anyway. Looks like I'm going to grab the game from eBay.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Yeah, so, after the intro, you start with the character creation. Choose gender, face style/tatoo...and that's it. Well, that was quick. You get to learn the basics very quickly. Choose between mage, warrior or ranger and test it on some goblins, mind you though once you leave the tutorial area you can freely develop your character. There are no classes in Divinity 2, instead you use skills appropriate for your taste (priest, warrior, mage, ranger, dragonslayer - you can of course also mix, but beware, specialization may be necessary), after each level-up you can choose only one, plus you put stats into Health, Willpower, Strength, Agility and Intelligence.

So, when you get started to fight stuff, first weaknesses occur. The combat is very action-orientaded, plays kinda like God of War, but with more glitches...and don't get me started about the horrid balancing. Because the game can be really a challenge in the first levels. Or how often have I been beaten the crap out of me by 2 small goblins! Crawl down into the cryptic, and you get greeted by three skeletons. Well, you think, no problemo, but as soon as you want starting slashing, you're already dead. Of course do some more quests, get higher levels, and the situation inverts. Kill a Goblin with two slashes can become boring....but as soon as you get used to beat the crap out of them, some new monster emerges and kills you in no time. *sigh* I'm currently only Lvl7, but I have difficulties to get into the tower because the doors are guarded with lvl8 skeletons. It seems almost impossible for me to get past them. But maybe I'm just a bit too lazy.

Some of the technical stuff: Audio is great, no complaints there, but graphics are a bit glitchy. The performance is mostly very good, but sometimes I get some major fps drops, then it vanishes after 30 secs. for no reason. Technically, it's not very cutting-edge anymore, but it shines through lovely and imaginatively created architecture and environments. I haven't found any game-stopping bugs, or crashes, but overall it still feels very rough. Sometimes my summon spells don't initiate, then there are some goofy physics quarrels that almost stopped me completing a quest, the fps slowdowns, and of course the horrid balancing. I heard though Larian is working to get that fixed at least. I also recommend to turn off "Render plants" to save some 50% performance, you won't miss it. Everything else can be maxed out.

So yeah, that's a short summary of Divinity 2. As I said, it's a marvelous game full of lovely details, very good writing and overall motivating story (so far). It's by no way a disaster like Gothic 3, but it still could use a patch or two to get rid off these small annoyances. Overall I can recommend this game. It beats the crap out of Gothic 3 and Oblivion easily.

That sounds exactly like the first one. The first dungeon was the hardest in the game along with the first patch of open ground. From lvl 10 onwards it kept on getting easier and easier, especially with the teleport pyramids. Towards the end of the game monsters and the end boss were a pushover.

Still that's the most enjoyable action RPG I played along with Diablo 1.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

If you're talking about the first Divinity you're wrong. The game becomes easy about halfway through, slaughtering mobs by the dozen becomes a pushover. Sort of like Diablo II difficulty.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

How's the dragon combat in the game? Something like in Drakan: Order of the Flame?

If you're talking about the first Divinity you're wrong. The game becomes easy about halfway through, slaughtering mobs by the dozen becomes a pushover. Sort of like Diablo II difficulty.

I wasn't. :fdevil:

In Drakan, the dragon started with a fire attack but would gain poison, ice, lightning & lava attacks as the game progressed. It was also possible to attack ground enemies - getting off your dragon and luring enemies towards him was a sure & entertaining way to win battles.

Morgoth, i think i have the same problem as you i gave him the zeppelin parts but he asks for more but i cant find them anywhere, you said you need to talk to a person- which one?

You have to take it to the mad monk living underground in the Elven Shrine of Chaos.

Morgoth, i think i have the same problem as you i gave him the zeppelin parts but he asks for more but i cant find them anywhere, you said you need to talk to a person- which one?

I see. The problem lies with 2 - 2 - 1 combination of items. 2 rudders, 2 crystals and one compass lead to blocking this quest. Some other combinations seem to block it as well. So if you want to continue to play, just pick up the missing item so that you have at least a 2-2-2 combination. Petzolt will still say you haven't all items, but that doesn't matter. Talk to Sepp and you can be off to Aleroth.

OK, so the game is ace but I seem to have hit a brick wall... I'm level 6 and when I try to return to the village after leaving a dungeon the game crashes at some point and gives a "-pure virtual function call" C++ error or something in the like... I fear a corrupted save game. Problem is only other save game I have left is one from the start of the game. :)

It seems this started to happen after Vista did a system update... I also can't seem to find where the heck Vista stored the Divinity save games.

Grrr!

Well, I managed to 'fix' the problem and continue playing. Went into the Broken Valley proper at level 7 & cheesed my way into Lovis' Tower... groups of skeleton archers/mages are not funny for a melee-based character - I had to take them all out with the bow.

The quests & especially random encounters in this game are amazing - I found some guy trapped in a hole somewhere who gave me an awesome bow when I did what he wanted. Also the music is fantastic.

yes, i have defeated all the flying fortresses too, and i have been in the broken valley to kill demon ba'al and get the sigil, now i need to get the ship parts to get to Aleroth, i gave him 6 of them maybe 5 i dont remember i think 6, i talked to sepp and he still tells the same that the ship is broken :p maybe i could send the save to you or someone else but i dont know where they are :)