Got bored and have no new games at the moment...

Arkan

...so I decided to finally play IWD with all the add-ons.

My only question: Is there any way to restore the original avatar animations (Ala BG1?) that were changed to the crappy BG2 avatars? I thought the reason for "upgrading" them was to make use of dual-wielding, but I see no option to dual-wield. I would much rather have the classic BG avatars.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

The BG2 plate mail armored human looks like he ate too many marshmellows.

The BG1/IWD plate mail lhuman looked much better.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Ohh wait, he means avatar animations, I gotta learn to read. Yes there is, download this there is an option to chose your appearance if it works like the previous ones, you could even play the game as Irenicus or Bhodi, although that gets old pretty fast. One problem with it is that it makes it a little too easy to cheat when that sword you like is only a mouse click away. You gotta show some discipline or you will wind up making the game too easy. Heh.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Ohh wait, he means avatar animations, I gotta learn to read. Yes there is, download this there is an option to chose your appearance if it works like the previous ones, you could even play the game as Irenicus or Bhodi, although that gets old pretty fast. One problem with it is that it makes it a little too easy to cheat when that sword you like is only a mouse click away. You gotta show some discipline or you will wind up making the game too easy. Heh.

How do I use Dalekeeper (which I got to essentially eliminate race/class restrictions only) to help use old avatar animations?

I tried changing Appearance (under Characteristics tab) to male fighter low (low res?) But that didn't do anything.

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

My only question: Is there any way to restore the original avatar animations (Ala BG1?) that were changed to the crappy BG2 avatars? I thought the reason for "upgrading" them was to make use of dual-wielding, but I see no option to dual-wield. I would much rather have the classic BG avatars.

I agree - I much prefer the old avatars. Seems like the only way is to not install HoW. You could maybe replace the bifs in your override directory but I'm not sure if that'd make the game crash or not (probably not, since there's no dual-wielding?)

Must... resist... urge... to... play... Baldur's Gate... again!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Gorgon, what are you talking about bucklers? They do not change the fact that BG2's animations are only one-sided. Could you tell us where that can be changed in Dalekeeper?

Krezack: That would be unfortunate :lol:

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I agree - I much prefer the old avatars. Seems like the only way is to not install HoW. You could maybe replace the bifs in your override directory but I'm not sure if that'd make the game crash or not (probably not, since there's no dual-wielding?)

Do you know which files those would be? I could try by installing vanilla IWD to a different directory and copying them over. Worth a shot, since it would make the game much more enjoyable. Hell, if i worked for IWD, it could probably work for BG2, but then you have the dual-wielding problem.

Do you know which files those would be? I could try by installing vanilla IWD to a different directory and copying them over. Worth a shot, since it would make the game much more enjoyable. Hell, if i worked for IWD, it could probably work for BG2, but then you have the dual-wielding problem.

Hmm. I don't have IWD1 installed, sorry. But I think they'd be easy to find because I recall they had intuitive filenames. What's the TeamBG programme that unpacks the chitin.key file and lets you extract the spell/avatar/weapon/etc bif/bam files (animation files)? Let me check...

OK, it's called WinBIFF, download it here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IEmodding/index.php

Edit: download Bamworkshop on the same page to view the animations to confirm they are what you want.

Edit 2: I just checked and I do have IWD1 installed. I can see the bams for Arundel and bats and stuff but character avatars aren't immediately obvious...

Edit 3: OK, found them. They're under data\CHRAnim.bif in the chitin.key file. I guess you'd just extract that entire part of the chitin.key file to your override directory once you've installed HoW? No guarentees. There could be hard-coded animation frame count differences between IWD1 and HoW.

Edit 3: Supposing you get bored and want to make your own spells or items, the IEEP tool on that page is a gem for that. DaleKeeper can detect any items/spell you make and add to the Override directory, too, if you can't be bothered using the console in game (I couldn't!).

Edited by Krezack

Hmm. I don't have IWD1 installed, sorry. But I think they'd be easy to find because I recall they had intuitive filenames. What's the TeamBG programme that unpacks the chitin.key file and lets you extract the spell/avatar/weapon/etc bif/bam files (animation files)? Let me check...

OK, it's called WinBIFF, download it here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IEmodding/index.php

Edit: download Bamworkshop on the same page to view the animations to confirm they are what you want.

Edit 2: I just checked and I do have IWD1 installed. I can see the bams for Arundel and bats and stuff but character avatars aren't immediately obvious...

Edit 3: OK, found them. They're under data\CHRAnim.bif in the chitin.key file. I guess you'd just extract that entire part of the chitin.key file to your override directory once you've installed HoW? No guarentees. There could be hard-coded animation frame count differences between IWD1 and HoW.

Edit 3: Supposing you get bored and want to make your own spells or items, the IEEP tool on that page is a gem for that. DaleKeeper can detect any items/spell you make and add to the Override directory, too, if you can't be bothered using the console in game (I couldn't!).

Thanks Krez!

I'll give it a try after uninstalling IWD+HOW+TotL and report back.

Edit 1: Ok, I extracted ALL the files from CHRAnim.bif into the override directory. I didn't really want to fuss with searching for each individual one because there are so damn many. Here goes nothing.

Edit 2: Well, that didn't work. I didn't get any error messages or anything, just that nothing was changed :o

Edited by Arkan

Thanks Krez!

Edit 1: Ok, I extracted ALL the files from CHRAnim.bif into the override directory. I didn't really want to fuss with searching for each individual one because there are so damn many. Here goes nothing.

Edit 2: Well, that didn't work. I didn't get any error messages or anything, just that nothing was changed :shifty:

WTF. That's exactly what's NOT meant to happen. Try this: delete that entire directory from the chitin.key file using WinBiff (also delete those override files you extracted( and see if anything changes (hopefully it should crash because there's no animation files - if not, we've got the wrong suspect).

Report back here with what your findings, soldier!

Thanks Krez!

Edit 2: Well, that didn't work. I didn't get any error messages or anything, just that nothing was changed :(

WTF. That's exactly what's NOT meant to happen. Try this: delete that entire directory from the chitin.key file using WinBiff (also delete those override files you extracted( and see if anything changes (hopefully it should crash because there's no animation files - if not, we've got the wrong suspect).

What do you mean when you say "delete that entire directory from the chitin.key file"? Do you mean delete all of the .bams or just delete the CHRAnim.bif?

Edited by Arkan

Thanks Krez!

Edit 2: Well, that didn't work. I didn't get any error messages or anything, just that nothing was changed :)

What do you mean when you say "delete that entire directory from the chitin.key file"? Do you mean delete all of the .bams or just delete the CHRAnim.bif?

Just CHRAnim.bif I think (so all the character avatars, hopefully). The whole idea is to (hopefully) break your IWD install so we know for sure that those are the correct files to edit. So do a backup, if you don't want to reinstall from scratch.

I might reinstall IWD1 sometimes soon myself and play a solo or duo squad, as I haven't done that before. I recall it being frustrating at first when I last tried, but I imagine I'll become overpowered eventually from all the extra XP.

Just CHRAnim.bif I think (so all the character avatars, hopefully). The whole idea is to (hopefully) break your IWD install so we know for sure that those are the correct files to edit. So do a backup, if you don't want to reinstall from scratch.

I might reinstall IWD1 sometimes soon myself and play a solo or duo squad, as I haven't done that before. I recall it being frustrating at first when I last tried, but I imagine I'll become overpowered eventually from all the extra XP.

Ok, just removed CHRAnim.bif from chitin.key using WinBiff. I supposed I also could have just deleted the bif from the data directory? Anyway, I went to load my game and it just booted me to desktop saying the program has encountered an error, but nothing specific.

Now I have a new problem. The stealth button for my fighter/thief is wonky. I will click it, and it become highlighted in red, but nothing happens. If I click it again, it says I'm leaving the shadows. The only way I can get it to stop doing this is to quicksave+quickload. Even then, I can only use stealth once before I have to quickload again, which is getting pretty tiresome.

Now I have a new problem. The stealth button for my fighter/thief is wonky. I will click it, and it become highlighted in red, but nothing happens. If I click it again, it says I'm leaving the shadows. The only way I can get it to stop doing this is to quicksave+quickload. Even then, I can only use stealth once before I have to quickload again, which is getting pretty tiresome.

Wasn't stealth a little bugged in IWD? Haven't played it in a long time, but I seem to remember that.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Wasn't stealth a little bugged in IWD? Haven't played it in a long time, but I seem to remember that.

Well that sucks. There goes my fighter thief character.

Well that sucks. There goes my fighter thief character.

I finished IWD not that long ago with a team that included a Fighter/Thief. He did a great job of scouting ahead and being an advanced observer for the fireball flinging mage. I never really used him for the backstabbing part though. There was indeed something about him occasionally being stuck with the hide button unselectable. Small nuisance, but didn't make the game "unplayable" (I wondered if it was a Vista/DirectX thing).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

KREZACK:

A funny thing happened while I was playing around with the animations. I redid the override trick like you mentioned, and while the character avatars were the updated BG2 avatars, the animations were that of the original BG/IWD; spellcasting and attack animations, that is. The idle and walking animations were the ones from BG2. What wasn't changed was the weapon animations, therefore the weapons had the updated animations, and the avatars had the classic animations which, of course, looked extremely awkward together. So, in a sense, I'm halfway there, haha!

Edited by Arkan