Let's Play: Jagged Alliance 2

My initial thoughts on the available roster:

Possible medics: MD, Fox, Dr.Q, Danny, Thor, Sidney

Possble mechanics: Barry, Steroid, WOlf, Static, Trevor

Possible explosives: Barry, Trevor,

Possible trainers: Buns, Stephen, Raider, Len

Good combat mercs: Wolf, Ice, Stephen, Raven, Raider, Len, Lynx, Ivan, Shadow, Reaper, Scully.

Good budget mercs: Igor, Grunty, Steroid, Dr. Q,

ANy mercs can be trained to do anything reallly, with a few exceptions. But it takes a while and starting skills make a big difference initially.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Ira is free and a decent teacher (can teach the grunts some basic medics). Dimitri is also free and a fair mechanic.

Utilizing the native population will definitely be a big help. But I think we should make sure we bring enough of our own people to do the job until we have enough confidence in the local recruits.

I agree that Wolf is a great all-arounder. Plus he has training AND night ops, which is a plus since I imagine we will be forced to conduct much of our combat under cover of darkness, at least initially.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Dr. Q is my favorite MD... and Trevor is my favorite everything. With Trev, you've got the best mechanic AND one of the best explosive guys. Plus he's got a cool accent. :) Pity he is so pricy...

I like Steroid for the lulz factor, and for his bulging bicepts. Got to have a couple of strong guys to carry the heavy stuff. Plus Steroid is a pretty danged good shot.

I always leave Ira behind to do the training. Her skill increases fast, and it's the only thing she's good at!

Edited by ~Di

Dr. Q is my favorite MD... and Trevor is my favorite everything. With Trev, you've got the best mechanic AND one of the best explosive guys. Plus he's got a cool accent. :) Pity he is so pricy...

I like Steroid for the lulz factor, and for his bulging bicepts. Got to have a couple of strong guys to carry the heavy stuff. Plus Steroid is a pretty danged good shot.

Hi Di!

Great to see you. Hope you will stick around and play in our thread. Your JAg 2 awesomness would be great to have on our side.

You can lose the main merc and continue. You don't even need to do the test. At least if I remember correctly. I think we should just hire all the MERC people, they are cheap and can fill slots, particularly militia training. But we can wait until we take a town and a mine.

Ok, I'll rank my recommendations:

1. Wolf - solid all around

2. Trevor - Good lockpick and repair, decent soldier

3. Thor - Good backup medic and solid soldier

4. Sydney - need a sniper, and he reminds me of Walsingham!

5. Barry - good explosives, backup repair, can be a good soldier if he doesn't blow up

6. Some doctor, Spider or MD I guess. MD can get pretty decent if given a lot of training

7. Ice - Chill

8. Hitman - Hitman once killed 18 enemies on a single map for me...in JA1.

Forgot we need an ox - Grizzly causes less problems then Steroid. If we get Danny, no Steroid.

Edited by Hurlshot

You can lose the main merc and continue. You don't even need to do the test. At least if I remember correctly. I think we should just hire all the MERC people, they are cheap and can fill slots, particularly militia training. But we can wait until we take a town and a mine.

Losing the main merc thing is just a house rule. I think it adds to the tension.

ANd defintely when the MERC mercs come on line we will snatch them up. They are good for the lulz and some are awesome. Plus we are going to need landmine detectors and door openers. They usually don't last long in a no relaoad game.

It looks like Wolfie and Trevor are already getting a lot of support.

Trevor is going to break our bank once he levels a few times.

4. Sydney - need a sniper, and he reminds me of Walsingham!

I think you are up against stiff competition from Scope (in case you hadn't noticed Crashgirls avatar) for the sniper role :)

A few agreements and lots of diversity in the suggestions. Since we can't hire everybody, how do we go about it? Sort them in categories and vote (similar to what Hurlshot suggested), or just start out with the consensus ones first and see if we can hammer out the details? Or do we leave it to the gamemaster to do fair arbitration? :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hi Di!

Great to see you. Hope you will stick around and play in our thread. Your JAg 2 awesomness would be great to have on our side.

I'm not online enough to be a real help, but I'm looking forward to checking your progress daily! Personally I've never started a JA2 game without my BFF Raven or that sexy-voiced Shadow. Then again, I usually, ah, use the local ATM for the cash to cover my... extra expenses. :)

More votes for Dr. Q, Hitman and Sydney.

Ice is like WOlf, another solid all arounder.

Steroid is just well steroid. Totally awesome!

We've got enough money to hire some of the high end mercs as well. And we're going to need them. Shadow especially, should get some consideration. And Raven and Raider make a greta trainer/shooter team.

But Raider and Hitman won't work together.

ALso Hitmna is fat and doesn't travel well. But he's a good garrison merc for sectors that are under threat of counter attack.

[ Then again, I usually, ah, use the local ATM for the cash to cover my... extra expenses. :)

We're not just taking the ATM, Di. We took the whole dang bank. :)

If we get Trevor for two weeks, that gives us a lot of time to raise funds, I'd think.

We have a cool mill starting cash. :)

Enrico was generous.

Just noticed you're considering Grizzly... a personal fave!... but don't forget that he hates Dr. Q. Won't make a harmonious relationship there, so you might have to rethink your medical needs.

Also, I always train my main merc in explosives. Takes about 20 minutes with a landmine, and I'm good to go. Cheap explosives expertise if you want to save the big bucks Trevor wants. Me, I like to have one explosives and one lockpicker in each of my squads.

I love Wolf, a great all-rounder, but he'll never be good enough for the tough locks, and his marksmanship never really rises to the occasion, so I always had him on my B team.

A few agreements and lots of diversity in the suggestions. Since we can't hire everybody, how do we go about it? Sort them in categories and vote (similar to what Hurlshot suggested), or just start out with the consensus ones first and see if we can hammer out the details? Or do we leave it to the gamemaster to do fair arbitration? :)

I'll pretty much leave it up to you guys to decide and pick those who seem to get the most votes. Over the course of the game I'm sure we wil have a chance to get most all of them into the action!

We'll probably need all of them, too.

My suggestions

1) Vicky

2) Buzz

3) Fidel

4) Ice

5) Fox

Note: I have no idea what this game is, why I'm picking these merc, or who they are. I don't know what sectors are, why I need to defend them, or why I'm creating a team.

Edit: I've moved on from the first post and am now scanning the thing Gorth posted. Interesting.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Note: I have no idea what this game is, why I'm picking these merc, or who they are. I don't know what sectors are, why I need to defend them, or why I'm creating a team.

You've only missed out on the greatest squad based, tactical combat game ever (and thats coming from an x-com lover) :)

Short background:

The president of a small island nation has been ousted by the self proclaimed "Queen" (the villain). The now ex-president has gone overseas and spent his savings on hiring mercenaries to liberate his country from the unelected, dictatorial queen.

The goal of the game is to kill the queen. To do this, you start by creating the protagonist and hire mercenaries to help you do the fighting. Since the country is full of hostile troops, patrols and garrisons, you need to fight your way from your starting point to the queens palace. No idea what the speed record is, but I think most players do it by occupying territory, capturing mines (generates daily income to pay your mercs) and by solving mini quests (bounty hunting), selling trophies from endangered species and sometimes by just selling loot to merchants. Your protagonist and mercs level up and become better along the way.

Unlike Oblivion, this game has a working "increase skill by using" system. Crack the whip over your mercs and make them sweat for their pay. Running around with heavy load increases strength, practising knife throwing increases dexterity, training local militia gives better leadership etc. In many ways, it plays like a crpg with a very large party (up to 3 squads with 6 members each + 20 militias against hordes of regular army troppers in some situations). It features destructible landscape, mustard gas grenades, heavy weapons, rocks, crafting system that makes a mockery of anything I've seen since, best tactical combat anywhere etc. In short, one awesome, regrettably way overlooked and underrated game :)

Edit: Not to mention some of the most fun, hilarious, morbid, curious and facepalming npcs you can imagine (and more than 60 of them). Some of them get along, some don't. You need to manage your parties.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My suggestions

1) Vicky

2) Buzz

3) Fidel

4) Ice

5) Fox

Edit: I've moved on from the first post and am now scanning the thing Gorth posted. Interesting.

heya, MC. Welcome!

Awesome to have you. Feel free to play along as you see fit. No experience required or expected. :)

That's a good list of merc, btw.

Trevor Colby has been hired on a two week contract.

post-378-1244290799_thumb.png

Peter "Wolf" Sanderson has been hired on a 2 week contract.

post-378-1244290921_thumb.png

Louisa "Buzz" Garneau has been hired on a two week contract

post-378-1244291075_thumb.png

That gives us a solid mechanical and explosives skills on the squad. Plus a highly skilled (and angry) markswoman.

Still need a medic or two, some good trainers, some more grunts.

I'm figuring we should take about 10 mercs to start with.

Medic Candidates... I only consider 70+ "proper" medics :)

Depending on how you are going to deploy and use them. When playing myself, I usually don't expect my medics in assault roles, more like hanging back taking care of the wounded and in a pinch provide short range cover fire for the wounded and dying. Which agan means, as a preference, medics that can hit the side of a barn, but not necessarily the stamina and speed of frontline soldier.

Numbers in brackets are their marksman skills, not medic skills. All are good medics.

Dr.Q (60) - Night Ops

Spider (90) - Night Ops

Thor (74) - Stealth

MD (66) - Teaching

Fox (70) - Teaching

Danny (61) - ?

Cliff (84) - ?