I procrastinate too much.

Blarghagh

Haha! Well, I can't say for sure I have enough money to justify being a game that many times (and I expect it will be many).

It is something I can try in a different way. I could make images of my games and bring the physical copies to somewhere else (say, my ladyfriend's house) and just delete the images. But there are more factors that distract me. And I'm not about to smash my guitars. Plus, even with no distractions sometimes I just can't bring myself to work.

Maybe you should find different work. It sounds to me that the main reason why you are so distracted and cannot fouc on work is because you don't particularly like it.

Also, a caring friend with a taser would help to.

Here's the thing. I LOVE my work. But with work I also mean my own projects. Art projects, writing projects, animation projects, mod projects, music projects etc. I enjoy these things immensely yet I cannot bring myself to work on them.

Caring friend with a whip, boss, they honestly don't really help.

Also, bad move on my boss' part. I now have internet connection at work. I shouldn't be posting this! In fact, I am shutting down my LAN right now just in case.

FAIL. DAMMIT.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I've been doing some research on ADHD and I'm noticing that all the information I find on the Innatentive type applies to me. I'm going to make a doctor's appointment as soon as I can, which will be tomorrow. I even wrote it down on my hand so I'll remember.

Thanks everyone.

Bah. Now I'm procrastinating work by doing research about why I'm procrastinating.

Do what you like to do.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Here's the thing. I LOVE my work. But with work I also mean my own projects. Art projects, writing projects, animation projects, mod projects, music projects etc. I enjoy these things immensely yet I cannot bring myself to work on them.

Caring friend with a whip, boss, they honestly don't really help.

What about a diary? If it doesn't work you can always turn it into a book about procrastination.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

To clarify, yeah, do what you really want to do. Something that keeps your mind occupied, something that fuels your creative energies. Art, music, politics, philosophy architecture, whatever comes in your mind.

Call me sceptical about these letter-diseases. I mean just look at the symptoms:

In childhood:

Forgetful during daily activities

Easily distracted by extraneous stimuli

Losing important items (e.g. pencils, homework, toys, etc.)

Not listening and not responding to name being called out

Unable to focus on tasks at hand, cannot sustain attention in activities

Avoids or dislikes tasks requiring sustained mental effort

Makes careless mistakes by failing to pay attention to details

Difficulty organizing tasks and activities

Fails to follow-through on complex instructions and tasks (e.g. homework, chores, etc.)

In adults, these evolve into:

Procrastination

Indecision, difficulty recalling and organizing details required for a task

Poor time management, losing track of time

Avoiding tasks or jobs that require sustained attention

Difficulty initiating tasks

Difficulty completing and following through on tasks

Difficulty multitasking

Difficulty shifting attention from one task to another

Anyone calling themselves a human being has had, or is currently having one or several of these symptoms. And the treatment? The active ingridient is "Methylphenidate", derived from amphetamine. Drugs, really.

The last generation used illegal drugs for broadening their horizons, achieving enlightment and for a social revolution. The current generation takes subscribed drugs to cope with their everyday boring lifestyles/work.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Call me sceptical about these letter-diseases.

How about I call you silly instead for presuming any disorder with an acronym is fake? Suppose we called it 'Hypodopaminism' instead, would that be all fine and dandy with you?

I mean just look at the symptoms:

In childhood:

Forgetful during daily activities

Easily distracted by extraneous stimuli

Losing important items (e.g. pencils, homework, toys, etc.)

Not listening and not responding to name being called out

Unable to focus on tasks at hand, cannot sustain attention in activities

Avoids or dislikes tasks requiring sustained mental effort

Makes careless mistakes by failing to pay attention to details

Difficulty organizing tasks and activities

Fails to follow-through on complex instructions and tasks (e.g. homework, chores, etc.)

In adults, these evolve into:

Procrastination

Indecision, difficulty recalling and organizing details required for a task

Poor time management, losing track of time

Avoiding tasks or jobs that require sustained attention

Difficulty initiating tasks

Difficulty completing and following through on tasks

Difficulty multitasking

Difficulty shifting attention from one task to another

Anyone calling themselves a human being has had, or is currently having one or several of these symptoms.

Anyone can distil a description of a disorder into something so general it applies to many things if they really try (go ahead, try it with Asperger's syndrome - there's only one or two diagnostic criteria different to ADHD). You've certainly done that here by referring to a less than one page summary of ADHD traits to reach your conclusion. Unfortunately, I think some doctors do the same, only lending further to the problem.

And the treatment? The active ingridient is "Methylphenidate", derived from amphetamine. Drugs, really.

Anybody who prescribes solely a drug as treatment for ADHD should have their medical license revoked. You need at least 2 components: behavioural change (effort by the person), chemical change (methylphenidate, atmoxetine, amphetamines, etc). Drugs will do nothing if the person isn't also actively trying to make the best of their situation.

Would you like to know why amphetamine class drugs are prescribed for ADHD? It's actually not because they chose some random illicit drug and decided "let's prescribe this". Indeed, if they were going to do that they'd probably chose some sort of depressant rather than a stimulant. Still, lucky they prescribe a stimulant, because it quite neatly cuts to the core of the matter: normal people become hyperactive on speed (I'm pretty sure you won't argue with me here), people with ADHD slow down.

That mere observation alone should be enough to put to rest your doubts that ADHD exists, or that medications work, but I have a feeling you'll continue to scoff and see ADHD as an 'excuse' and call people with it lazy.

The last generation used illegal drugs for broadening their horizons, achieving enlightment and for a social revolution.

ADHD as a disorder has existed in medical literature for something like 80 years, and was certainly prescribed during the period you speak of.

The current generation takes subscribed drugs to cope with their everyday boring lifestyles/work.

What a claim! Are you now going to claim clinical depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder are mere shams, too? I guess you know more than every psychiatrist alive (and many dead), after all.

I used to be skeptical as well, in fact at some point I felt ADHD was just a way for doctor's to avoid saying "your kid's a jerk" to stressed out parents who will get angry if you blame their way of raising their kid. But skepticism doesn't help me, and right now any solution seems plausible to me. Because I have all of those symptoms in a way that hinders me from doing anything productive at any time.

As for doing what you want, nearly everything fuels my creative energies but it always comes down to me passionately starting a project and never getting past the initial stage. For example, I have been trying to start a webcomic on and off for seven years now. Seven years, and nothing.

At this rate, I'm never going to get anywhere. I find even when I'm motivated I find it hard to actually do anything. I need to do SOMETHING to help me focus. My attempts to do this for myself always end in my forgetting or procrastinating and eventually stopping.

That said, that I'm going to see a doctor doesn't mean I actually have ADHD Innatentive, or let someone give me medication without me thoroughly researching what it actually is. And maybe I am just lazy and set in a learned pattern? Who knows. I just know that I need to explore every possible means of getting myself to actually start doing what I want to do.

What about a diary? If it doesn't work you can always turn it into a book about procrastination.

I tried this as well. I have many little books hidden in my closet that never got past page four, many failed blogs that have three entries and have subsequently been deleted.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Guest PoziomyPion

Well, I don't have ADHD myself, but what I can say you seem to find excuse for everything and don't let the ADHD be one of them. Let's say if you don't really have it, but doctor will diagnose it(it happens all the time, believe it or not, it's not really easy to diagnose and many doctors say they patients have ADHD just to have less work etc.). Kaftan gave you some great tips and what I can say is that whenever you get distracted or something MAKE yourself to do the task. Doesn't matter if it goes slowly or whatever JUST DO IT(copyright by NIKE). Start with smaller things.

Excersising is good, 'cause you have to do straightforward tasks (eg do 10 pushups and repeat that 5 times, it's all about routine really. Push yourself to the limits).

Hope that helps.

Excercising is something I try to keep doing regularely but it often comes down to periods of me doing it and then a period of not doing it until I'm like "****, I need to excercise!". It again comes down to me eventually starting to procrastinate, even if I give myself a routine.

I'm trying to get some more structure, like Kaftan said. Working fulltime is a big help in this I think.

I understand where you're coming from, reading through my posts it does seem like I'm making excuses but I try not to. I feel this tendency to make excuses or seem like I'm making excuses is probably from a long time of not getting stuff done (on time) which make me make up excuses. And again, this sounds like an excuse.

Anyway, if I do have it I doubt I'll use it as an excuse. I have never used other problems I have (asthma) as an excuse and I don't intend to do it for if I have ADHD. If anything, confirmation that it is a known problem with documentation might be enough to make me better at dealing with it. I am honestly not sure how to deal with just being lazy to the point I can't stop myself.

At least I am trying to keep a healthy attitude about it. >_

EDIT: Maybe I should just get a "There's nothing to it but to do it" tattoo on my arm that I can look at all the time. :p

Edited by TrueNeutral

It does have to be said that I often get mental knotted and exercise NEVER fails to make me feel better. I liken it to rinsing out the dead leaves from the mental gutters.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How about I call you silly instead for presuming any disorder with an acronym is fake? Suppose we called it 'Hypodopaminism' instead, would that be all fine and dandy with you?

Feisty today, aren't we? The silliness doesn't come from its name.

Anyone can distil a description of a disorder into something so general it applies to many things if they really try (go ahead, try it with Asperger's syndrome - there's only one or two diagnostic criteria different to ADHD). You've certainly done that here by referring to a less than one page summary of ADHD traits to reach your conclusion. Unfortunately, I think some doctors do the same, only lending further to the problem.

Now you're getting closer to my point. Today, there isn't one class where there isn't atleast some kid have some sort of letter-disorder. Or maybe it just in the towns where i have lived, or maybe it is in the water. Point being, doctors have been veeeery lax with identifying these disorders and veeeery keen on giving the kids some drugs for issues that seem to be more of characteristic trait if anything. Of course there are people who should get treatment for these disorders, but not in this magnitude, not by far.

Anybody who prescribes solely a drug as treatment for ADHD should have their medical license revoked. You need at least 2 components: behavioural change (effort by the person), chemical change (methylphenidate, atmoxetine, amphetamines, etc). Drugs will do nothing if the person isn't also actively trying to make the best of their situation.

Would you like to know why amphetamine class drugs are prescribed for ADHD? It's actually not because they chose some random illicit drug and decided "let's prescribe this". Indeed, if they were going to do that they'd probably chose some sort of depressant rather than a stimulant. Still, lucky they prescribe a stimulant, because it quite neatly cuts to the core of the matter: normal people become hyperactive on speed (I'm pretty sure you won't argue with me here), people with ADHD slow down.

Not my point, we are getting close to it....

That mere observation alone should be enough to put to rest your doubts that ADHD exists, or that medications work, but I have a feeling you'll continue to scoff and see ADHD as an 'excuse' and call people with it lazy.

Lazy? I never said that, stop putting words in my mouth.

ADHD as a disorder has existed in medical literature for something like 80 years, and was certainly prescribed during the period you speak of.

Again, not my point at all....

What a claim! Are you now going to claim clinical depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder are mere shams, too? I guess you know more than every psychiatrist alive (and many dead), after all.

Wow, really personal here? Cool it with real drugs instead, like our forefathers did to rock n' roll.

Point being, we suddenly have a whole generation of kids, millions of them, subscribing to ADD and ADHD-drugs. It has become an manefistation of a social phenomenom: boring consumer society where the reality is too dull for everyone. That is my point, not the disorder itself.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I shall try to keep a stricter excercise schedule. I do bike regularely and take long walks. Does that also count as excercise? Because I do notice that it often helps my motivation and focus, though not for long.

Do you enjoy excercising?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Occasionally, though I find it becomes a chore if I do it too much. Also I am a bit apprehensive about it considering I cannot afford to lose a lot of weight. I am slightly underweight.

Since you already walk/bike much, and your body is already underweight, there aren't any real benefits from doing it IMO. Do you draw/paint? Doing sculptures? Play an instrument? Play games? or do have any other hobby that you would really like to do?

If you do, i would suggest that you don't do any of these until (per day) until you have done any other chore, thus your hobbies becomes an award for doing something. If you have a TV or computer or, turn them off. If you have to work on your computer, turn off your ADSL modem. If you need to work with data from the 'Net, then gather it and that, and then turn of your ADSL modem.

If you haven't found a hobby, do a search. Preferbly choosing one involving meeting real people, like a sport or something.

Good luck!

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I draw, I write, I play guitar, I do 3D and 2D animation as both hobby and work, I play video games occasionally. I don't do a lot of social things though I have plenty of social contact at work and especially with my girlfriend. I am interested in getting other hobbies such as rockclimbing or surfing, but those things are hard to come by in the rural parts of the netherlands and I am slightly poor. I have very little interest in most sports, although I do remember liking squash and tennis in high school gym.

Thanks for wishing me luck.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Well I think we can all relate. >_<

-Elwood Blues

Mes: You'd be feisty too if you had to contend constantly with people claiming ADHD is fake and you're just lazy whenever they find out you have it (Dagon did it in this very thread for example).

I still disagree with you, anyway. ADHD is overprescribed but not to the magnitude you imply. For starters, only 1/5th of patients with ADHD (which is itself about 5% of the population) are actually prescribed drugs. Of that 1% that's on stimulants, it's relatively easy for a doctor to tell if their diagnosis was correct or they got it wrong and something else is at play like semi-deafness or laziness: as I said, when you've got ADHD, drugs generally work - when you don't have it, you won't see a lick of improvement and indeed you'll get worse. Even assuming the doctor is unethical enough to try and continue prescribing a case where it isn't actually ADHD, I doubt the parents have the patience to pay for a drug that makes their kid more hyperactive, impulsive and inattentive because it's not meant for him.

The claims of ADHD being 'overdiagnosed' are greatly exaggerated. Yes, it's millions. With a genetic prevalence rate of 3% to 10% worldwide that's something like 500 million people with ADHD. In somewhere like America that gives you 15 million people with ADHD and 3 million on medication for it. It's unfortunate that so many people have ADHD, but I see little point fretting about the downfall of modern civilisation because the number is in the millions rather than the some other arbitrary magnitude like thousands. Medication of ADHD didn't start because society was 'boring' and capitalistic - it started in the 60's and 70's when researchers made breakthroughs in understanding ADHD, so I don't see how medication is a manifestation of anything more than a sound neurological understanding of the disorder.

Today, there isn't one class where there isn't atleast some kid have some sort of letter-disorder.

My average class size was 20 people. 5% of 20 is 1. I.e. the average class will have a kid with ADHD in it. And then you've got things like clinical depression, sociopathy, autism, deafness, etc. Bemoan the existence of kids with disorders in classes all you want, but they'll exist regardless of whether they're given treatment. At least if they're given treatment their lives can be better.

Let's see...

The second step evaluated the expectation that North America

My average class size was 20 people.

Geez. My average class is 34. 37 is my upper limit. I need to teach where you live!

Wow. Is that high-school or university? Those class sizes make sense for university (in fact they're small!) but certainly not high-school (even 20 is too large to effectively reach and cater to every kid IMHO).