Relic developing Warhammer 40k action RPG

Thread pruned a bit. If anybody has a problem with not using 'gay' as a perjorative (sp?), feel free to drop me (or one of the other moderators) a PM :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Nothing wrong with a Warhammer 40k FPS (I'd play it) ~Well... except...

Except that it runs a good risk for killing off the Dawn of War RTS franchise if it succeeds. -_-

Edited by Gizmo

I'm almost certainly going to buy this. If you like bleak, you really have no business comparing Warhammer to Warcraft. Even when it tries to be over the top despairing, Warcraft doesn't even come minutely close to Warhammer. Even fantasy battle is grim as hell. 40K, in my opinion, is worse. I actually have a lot of the table top game books, but I just can't dedicate the time to it these days. Too bad, 'cause getting an army together is really cool. I also liked Mordheim. That was a bit easier because of the smaller scale.

Aren't the Space Marines actually chemically castrated?

There's no offical word on the matter.

I'm almost certainly going to buy this. If you like bleak, you really have no business comparing Warhammer to Warcraft. Even when it tries to be over the top despairing, Warcraft doesn't even come minutely close to Warhammer. Even fantasy battle is grim as hell. 40K, in my opinion, is worse. I actually have a lot of the table top game books, but I just can't dedicate the time to it these days. Too bad, 'cause getting an army together is really cool. I also liked Mordheim. That was a bit easier because of the smaller scale.

Warcraft is campy and cartoony on purpose. Warhammer is so ultra badass, grim, and hyperviolent, it’s like

, which is campy and cartoony. Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I think they're usually too busy shouting and firing boltguns. Wankers.

Guard all the way.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"Space Marine"? If they had gone any more generic, it would have been called "Game".

Where is my Homeworld 3?

The homeworld universe recently got returned from Vivendi last year (I think) so any game from there will probably be another year into the future.

As to Warcraft v Warhammer: Originally Warcraft was a Warhammer licensed product, but the deal went bad and thus they name was changed. But the Orcs and Humans game still bares A LOT of similarities to Warhammer (as does Warcraft 2, but then they start to diverge into their own world)

I'm both eager and apprehensive for this. Eager because it can be an AWESOME game, apprehensive because it could so easily go totally wrong.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Speaking of space, has anyone played the adons to Sins of a Solar empire. I still have the game, although I thought it was a bit simplistic and streamlined for the multiplayer experience to begin with. Space RTS, fine, Empire building multiplayer... ehh whats the use. This game is trying to be both and succeeding at neither.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

What we need is *this* as a crpg (those are the good guys btw)... :)

wh40roleplay.jpg

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They are all still inescapably designed around a tiny lead figure having to look distinct and impressive from across the table. Sometimes they look cool up close anyway, but when taken out of their original element the result is usually poor.

Ohh and don't forget about the Orcs, they are almost lame enough to drag the whole franchise down with them.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It features the Inquisitors, who aren't the good guys.

Heresy!

If Nathaniel Garro heard you say that... :)

The Tau or the modern Eldars are the closest I've seen to good guys.

That said, which warrior group shows more single-minded dedication and devotion: Space Marines or Warrior Path Eldar?

Since I

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

That said, which warrior group shows more single-minded dedication and devotion: Space Marines or Warrior Path Eldar?

Space Marines of course. Eldar are alien scum and should be purged with extreme predjudice :)

Besides, Space Marine is a life time of devotion. As Commissar Gaunt puts it "only in death does duty end". Warrior Path Eldar eventually finds other paths*

*unless they manage to get themselves blown up, get eaten by Slaanesh or get stuck on their path and become Exarchs, but the latter tend to be a minority.

The Tau or the modern Eldars are the closest I've seen to good guys.

Since I

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...

Gorth, you managed to get me to pick up the Dark Heresy core book. It's good stuff so far.

I'd prefer to play a female Space Marine though.

Edited by Maria Caliban

:)

I haven't had a chance to go through it properly yet (I mostly know the old "Inquisitor" table top rpg).

For what it is worth, WH40K has some kickass females. Female Inquisitor Lords, Death Cult assassins, The Adeptus Sororitas (which makes the Astartes Marines seem tame by comparison when it comes to uncompromising hostility), Adeptus Arbites judges and executioners etc.

Equal opportunity genocide!

Hmm, why isn't there a game about a female dictator? That could be interesting...

It's called Jagged Alliance 2 ;)

Equal opportunity genocide!

Hmm, why isn't there a game about a female dictator? That could be interesting...

It's called Jagged Alliance 2 ;)

I totally forgot about that, good old Deidranna. But what about a female Hitler/Stalin-esque dictator?