What you did today

Gorth

Hey, I'm an American. Our country was founded by hypocrisy. Just ask those damn Puritans.

good for you if you think it is OK.

theslug: you can have my cat if you want. he won't leave me alone with my wife and son out of town. suddenly he's clingy. ugh.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Right the essay first, find supporting references later. Much easier.
True. I had to read the material beforehand anyway, because I'm not at all an expert on postcolonial discourse, nor of discourse analysis in general, and I'm not one of history or geography either... Desipte this, half of the essay's done now :(

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Glad to hear it. I have literally no idea what the feth post-colonial discourse is. Do tell.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I listed the Ms. Pac Man machine on craigs list. I got a call on it the next day and sold it for $750. Pretty cool!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I listed the Ms. Pac Man machine on craigs list. I got a call on it the next day and sold it for $750. Pretty cool!

i'm gonna get me one of them thar donkey kong machines. oh yeah!

in other news, today my ears are ringing to the point i'm going crazy. it is, of course, partly because i am already crazy (serotonin issues are the likely culprit), but i don't know why today it chose to come back with a vengeance after being mostly a non-issue for several months now. perhaps it is a sign from my brain that caffeine really is a no-no? i've been feeling well enough (no anxiety issues) that i started back on the coffee every morning recently, but alas, perhaps cessation of the black oil was reason for my remission in the first place! oh well... back to zombie-land for taks. no more morning go-go juice. i'll still partake whence camping, but my next trip ain't for a few weeks.

taks

i'm gonna get me one of them thar donkey kong machines. oh yeah!

in other news, today my ears are ringing to the point i'm going crazy. it is, of course, partly because i am already crazy (serotonin issues are the likely culprit), but i don't know why today it chose to come back with a vengeance after being mostly a non-issue for several months now. perhaps it is a sign from my brain that caffeine really is a no-no? i've been feeling well enough (no anxiety issues) that i started back on the coffee every morning recently, but alas, perhaps cessation of the black oil was reason for my remission in the first place! oh well... back to zombie-land for taks. no more morning go-go juice. i'll still partake whence camping, but my next trip ain't for a few weeks.

taks

You should try restoring old video games. It's pretty theraputic. I'm looking for another one now. I also saw an old 1970s jukebox on Craigslist. The kind that played 45's. I had an idea to buy it and try to restore it. This is fun and so far profitable.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Shryke: Take off your cap then :lol:

Walsingham: In the restricted sense that I use it, it's how people write in postcolonial studies. Postcolonial studies encompass social studies on former colonies; studies of their literature; cultural changes; and last but not least on how people talk / write - thus think - about colonialism, imperialism, countries that were involved in it, people that are from africa, asia (s-e-asia is my focus), south america; european, us-american, japanese ... hybris and much more. You could google for postcolonialism, orientalism (Said), subalterns (Spivak), hybridity (Bhaba). It's also interesting that there is still a lot left from the colonial discourses (i.e. legitimation through race, culture, bringing freedom, true belief, etc.) that is still deeply rooted within us, even in anti-colonial writings, in children's books (-> uncle tom's cabin as an example of well-meant perpetuation of prejudices, not to mention the overtly racist stuff that's still around in many a kid's shelf) and songs, in newspapers, even in our geographical ideas! Once you get a little conscious of language, it's pretty horrid actually ;) Conventional metaphors are a good point to start looking, but it's a never ending field.

Ahem. What I'm doing is actually describe the current state of the discourse as found in papers / articles / books on the discourse itself, and in papers / articles / books that are part of the discourse (the former are automatically part of the latter). Spice it up down with a little background on discourse (Foucault), discourse analysis (Fairclough) and colonialism (history books), et voil

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

You should try restoring old video games. It's pretty theraputic. I'm looking for another one now. I also saw an old 1970s jukebox on Craigslist. The kind that played 45's. I had an idea to buy it and try to restore it. This is fun and so far profitable.

xanax is pretty therapeutic, too. :lol:

refurbed DKs run in the $1500-$3000 range for the "official" ones (there were a few different versions - the "official" ones contain the PROM/electronics that are accepted for records).

taks

but it's inside my skull!

that's how i felt sunday. regular league on friday night turned into a hangover saturday just in time for my wife and son to fly out of town for the week. then we had the qualifier tournament saturday (started at 3), which turned into an 8:00 a.m. wake up on a buddy's couch. i'm not sure of anything in between those two times, and i wasn't right till yesterday morning. too old to get drunk more than one day at a time.

taks

well it was... 7 nights in a row...

hmm... maybe thats why i feel like my limbs are clockwork and my brain is swimming in an ocean of cotton wool

none the less - it was fun!

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

oh i am most definitely having a quiet night tonight

body needs time to recover

though there is the burlesque show tonight i got invited to... hmm...

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

it's the drinkin'...

and the drugs...

and the late nights without any sleep...

and the caffeine...

and the food...

and the lack of exercise...

but burlesque is NOT part of the problem, except when you drink, do drugs, stay up late hyped up on caffeine, eat too many high fat foods, and sit around like a potato while attending burlesque shows.

taks

Well, I formatted my mom's desktop and lap-top. She's giving the laptop to my brother, who can put whatever OS he wants on the damned thing. I didn't bother explaining to my mom and dad that he has the equipment and expertise to nab info off the damned thing if he wanted anyhow and I didn't feel like formatting it multiple times. Anyhow, they should have let him have it without the wipe since it's not like he's going to steal their credit card account numbers. My brother is a complete ****, but he's still a loyal member of this family.

The desktop, I reinstalled the OS from the OEM disks I used when I built the system some four years ago. The rig was working fine, but my nephews got a virus on it and, since I think a clean install is good every now and then anyhow, I built it up again. Still no anti-virus yet. Probably use Viper when we put one on. Otherwise, I have the drivers and critical XP updates installed already. I updated Adobe flash and installed shockwave just because those tend to be popular on webpages and keeping them up to date is generally wise. Either that or not letting them load, which is also a pain in the ass.

Since I'm only here for a few days, I also did some painting and moved the furniture for them. Same ol' same ol', really.

burlesque show

Lucky bastard! =]

I'm probably going to sit all day at the computer, making custom furniture pieces for my virtual house. No plans for tonight though... I hope it rains so I can play Thief they way it was meant to be played.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

My bosses have abandoned me again!

I've finished all the work I have. There's still a large amount of work to be done, but my boss has it all at home. Frustrating.

Outside my office window, two birds appear to be engaged in courtship of some sort. The colorful one is dancing around the lawn with his wings spread out. He occationally plucks a worm from the ground and wiggles it in front of the drab looking one's face. She's keeping her distence, but I can tell she's impressed.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

when you get older, and more importantly, married, like me, that distinction no longer matters. think hall sex as the norm, so everything else is exciting by definition.

taks

I love taks. Just sayin'.

Wondering what makes good backyard garden crops. Corn is out, too many crows/birds/squirrels.

Tomatoes, strawberries, jalepenos, blackberries and honeydew this year....but thinking of expanding the 'farm' area for more plantings next year. Problem is we're not that into many vegies, particularly in large quantities. Maybe our own lettuce/cukes? Garlic/other herbs?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts