Bioshock 2 in next PC Gamer

funcroc

Hopefully it will be a bit more interesting this time around.

Fixed.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Fixed.

Bioshock was interesting. Story was pretty good, I never saw the twist coming. Also, finding the voice recordings and figuring out what went down in Rapture was pretty fun too.

Fixed.

Bioshock was interesting. Story was pretty good, I never saw the twist coming. Also, finding the voice recordings and figuring out what went down in Rapture was pretty fun too.

The story felt like some crazy stuff that got cut from an episode of LOST. The evil plan depended on you randomly having a plane crash straight into the Lighthouse/Rapture. The

"would you kindly"

twist was interesting, but they hit you over the head with it at every possible moment.

Also, Levine's awesome metaphor of not really having a choice in video games would have been great, had it been subtle, but he pretty much threw it around at every opertunity. The Atlas/Fontaine twist was lifted straight out of System Shock 2 and thus predictable and pathetic

All that combined with boring and repetitive gameplay left me with no desire to finish the game.

Edited by Purkake

Fixed.

The story felt like some crazy stuff that got cut from an episode of LOST. The evil plan depended on you randomly having a plane crash straight into the Lighthouse/Rapture.

Well if you didn't know, they explain why the plane crashed where it did. Sorry if you knew that but I couldn't tell

Fixed.

The story felt like some crazy stuff that got cut from an episode of LOST. The evil plan depended on you randomly having a plane crash straight into the Lighthouse/Rapture.

Well if you didn't know, they explain why the plane crashed where it did. Sorry if you knew that but I couldn't tell

I didn't catch that. How did Fontaine engineer the plane crash?

Fixed.

I'm not going to knock Bioshock's story. It was as good as story gets in action video games these days, so I can't complain.

For me the bigger problems were in the gameplay itself.

Did you ever play System Shock 2? If you haven't, you need to understand that Bioshock is almost an exact copy of System SHock 2, even including large parts of the story, so for people like myself who played a lot of SS2, much of Bioshock feels somewhat like a rehash.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Let's hope that Bioshock 2 actually puts up a fight (isn't retardedly easy), isn't completely linear and has more than five different enemy types. I hope they dare to copy System Shock 2 this time around instead of just "dumbing down" the game even more (which seems to be the trend). Dumbing down is a blunt and pretty offensive expression, but I think you get my point.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I just hope its not a spider splicer reskin.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Hells no. The Big Sister acts just like the spider slicer while the Little Sister on her back fires bolts of blue energy at you. Like those chimps in that one game.

Oh!, Bold New World what has such monsters in it.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

It is also really stupid to make the diving suit look all slim and sexy. The idea was that it was heavy enough to let you walk on the bottom and strong enough to let you withstand the pressure. Making it slim shows how much the team knows/respects the first game...

And weren't they going to do like 4 sequels to Bioshock? :sorcerer:

Edit: Make that FIVE sequels

Bioshock 6: Revenge of the Half-Robot Half-Fiend Big Cousins From Atlantis

Edited by Purkake

Fixed.

I didn't catch that. How did Fontaine engineer the plane crash?

I'm assuming you've played through Bioshock to the point at which you find out that you're "programmed"? Fontaine made you such that once you reached a certain age you would board a plane carrying a gun and force a crash once it approached the coordinates of the lighthouse.

Fixed.

You like F3 as a shooter. you have no right to "fix" me ;(

lol. I like FO3 as a GAME. As a shooter, its right on Bioshock's level. WHich is to say. Not so good.

Besides which, I don't like FO3 that much. Its OK at what it does. But I would hardly wave it about as an all time classic.

Fixed.

You like F3 as a shooter. you have no right to "fix" me ;(

lol. I like FO3 as a GAME. As a shooter, its right on Bioshock's level. WHich is to say. Not so good.

Besides which, I don't like FO3 that much. Its OK at what it does. But I would hardly wave it about as an all time classic.

Bioshock > FO3

Bioshock > FO3

I don't agree, but I don't feel strongly enough to make a big deal of it.

For me, the gameplay of FO3 is more fun than the gameplay of Bioshock, but neither is really all that memorable.

I'd put the gameplay of FO3 waaaay ahead of Bioshock. There was never a point where I really enjoyed a fight in Bioshock, it was just a means to the end of furthering the story. I had some pretty sweet combat moments in Fallout 3.

But really we are comparing a corridor shooter to an open exploration RPG/FPS hybrid.

Thank you Pop. :brows:

I consider Fallout 3 a better game than BioShock, and a better RPG than many would like to admit.

BioShock has better visuals (by which I mean aesthetic, not polygons), a stronger story, better voice acting, and the characters have more personality. I found myself more emotionally involved in the lives of Rapture

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

As a shooter I'd actually put Bioshock ahead. The dice-rolliness of the combat in FO3 left me wanting.

Yeah, that's very reasonable. I think it comes down to me just not being a fan of FPS games. As I said at the end, they are very different games, and there really isn't much reason to compare them.

BioShock has better visuals (by which I mean aesthetic, not polygons), a stronger story, better voice acting, and the characters have more personality. I found myself more emotionally involved in the lives of Rapture’s citizens then that of anyone in the wasteland.

Same. Let's be best friends!

I found combat without VATS pretty dull, and then after a while the constant slow motion and head popping became tedious. Hmm, is there a mod that gets rid of the slow motion kills> That would be fab.

Edited by Hell Kitty