Can torrent sites be prosecuted.

Hiro Protagonist

yeah but DRM definetly gives people more of a reason to illegally download stuff.

that's what we're talking about here, right?

I don't think the personal justification for piracy matters. Increasing awareness and accessibility are probably the main driving forces behind piracy. The point is that it is gaining ever more momentum and there hasn't really been a way to stop it yet. The market has to adapt to the change or slowly die out.

Trying to stop piracy at this point is like trying to plug holes in a dam that is going to break very soon. At this point it is all or nothing, small victories aren't going to do anything.

yeah but DRM definetly gives people more of a reason to illegally download stuff.

I've known people who only pirated a game due to its DRM, although I think that should ahve just bought a copy and then used a crack (that's what I did with my boxed copy of Mass Effect).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I've known people who only pirated a game due to its DRM, although I think that should ahve just bought a copy and then used a crack (that's what I did with my boxed copy of Mass Effect).

Those people are lying to themselves to feel better about pirating. They would find another excuse if DRM didn't exist. You don't NEED to play any game, it isn't oxygen.

But you have to start out small before going big.

My point is that it's way too late. If they had been on this from day one and got the laws changed then it might have turned out differently(not better for the customers, though). This is just a half-assed last ditch attempt to do *something*.

Piracy never threatened the bottom line before the proliferation of broad band connections. Now the means of sharing anything are so prevalent it's no wonder copyright holders are going ape****.

Yes, faster internet helps pirate stuff faster. It also helps you watch stuff from Hulu, Youtube, download game demos, patches and other digital content. You can't stop technology growth because some people are unhappy and don't want to change their business model.

Edited by Purkake

I think Wil Wright once said that back in the day piracy was rampant to the point where he guessed that 1 in 3 copies of a game was actually a pirated version. Mainly because most of the games were on cheap easy to replicate CDroms and 3 1/2" floppies.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think Wil Wright once said that back in the day piracy was rampant to the point where he guessed that 1 in 3 copies of a game was actually a pirated version. Mainly because most of the games were on cheap easy to replicate CDroms and 3 1/2" floppies.

A "guess" is less than anecdotal evidence.

What's your point?

What's your point?

Well his point was that back in the day developers just had to learn to deal with the fact that their games were being pirated. Probably one of the most successful anti-piracy tools I've ever seen was the Starcraft multiplayer Spawn that you could put on any computer and then have that computer play with the main game. Well that and steam, mainly because they don't limit you to putting it on one computer or what have you.

What's your point?

Well his point was that back in the day developers just had to learn to deal with the fact that their games were being pirated. Probably one of the most successful anti-piracy tools I've ever seen was the Starcraft multiplayer Spawn that you could put on any computer and then have that computer play with the main game. Well that and steam, mainly because they don't limit you to putting it on one computer or what have you.

I can see that. Most of the server and cd-key based stuff isn't really crackable anyway. It's pretty much a common notion that if you want to play multiplayer over the internet(not lan) you need a legit copy. Blizzard has done pretty well with this.

Most of the server and cd-key based stuff isn't really crackable anyway.

I'm going to beg to differ, or, rather, my personal experience LANing with NWN* (a game that checks the CD/DVD keys even if you want to LAN) has proved otherwise. >_<

*I have two legit versions and had three players, thus I had to re-use one set of keys on that PC (it was still my PC). :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Most of the server and cd-key based stuff isn't really crackable anyway.

I'm going to beg to differ, or, rather, my personal experience LANing with NWN* (a game that checks the CD/DVD keys even if you want to LAN) has proved otherwise. >_<

*I have two legit versions and had three players, thus I had to re-use one set of keys on that PC (it was still my PC). :)

I meant stuff that uses the company's server to register your CD-Key. I specifically said

It's pretty much a common notion that if you want to play multiplayer over the internet(not lan) you need a legit copy.

It uses the same system, as I said in my post, as it does with a true on-line game. You are essentially creating a local on-line game that is password protected.

EDIT:

a game that checks the CD/DVD keys even if you want to LAN
Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

-Hurlshot

CD-key's are set up so that only one person with the CD-Key would be able to get online at a time. So if somebody else has your CD key it's probably going to end up with you unable to get online at peak hours.

What's your point?

I don't know if the spawn copy is really the great anti-piracy measure.

The big anti-piracy measure for Starcraft, IMO, is the good ol' CD game since it's main draw was playing on Battle.net

It uses the same system, as I said in my post, as it does with a true on-line game. You are essentially creating a local on-line game that is password protected.

EDIT: Except your local game doesn't require you to validate your CD-Key on a central server.

Edited by alanschu

Those people are lying to themselves to feel better about pirating. They would find another excuse if DRM didn't exist.

That is your belief and in this case we will have to agree to disagree. >_<

-Hurlshot

EDIT: Except your local game doesn't require you to validate your CD-Key on a central server.

No, it does. It goes through the same server as every other Neverwinter Nights multiplayer game. I'm not sure how much clearer I can be but for some reason this is not getting through to you - A "LAN" game of Neverwinter Nights has to go through the exact same process as a "regular" multiplayer game of Neverwinter Nights, key check and all. >_<

-Hurlshot

This Pirate Bay prosecution is fantastic, hopefully they get a nice bit of jail time and we'll see a bit of a curtailing of the folks who think they have some God given right to rip off other people's hard work.

If you ask a friend to record a TV show for you for a couple of weeks from the TV while you go on holidays, is it stealing?

This Pirate Bay prosecution is fantastic, hopefully they get a nice bit of jail time and we'll see a bit of a curtailing of the folks who think they have some God given right to rip off other people's hard work.

If you ask a friend to record a TV show for you for a couple of weeks from the TV while you go on holidays, is it stealing?

Ah, so piracy is okay then. It's the same as recording TV shows.