Will there be Next-Gen consoles at all?

Morgoth

I have been making my living with selling PCs few years ago, and after 1st week at my work i rather stopped to count people which answered to the question "What will be the primary use of your PC?" with "All I want is something simple, i do not need anything powerful, it's just for games." And after i told them that gaming is one of the most demanding applications for PCs, and recommended them gaming rig for 500EUR instead of they dream rig for 300EUR with Celeron, intel IGP, 256MB RAM and 40GB HDD, they just looked at me with the "Another clown who wants to steal 200EUR from us" look...

When you ask random PC owner what is the difference between ATI and Nvidia, they end up with same look as I end up everytime, when I go shopping with my girlfriend and she ask me "what you think is better for me, that Margaret Astor mascara or that Rimmel one over there?"

I hope you now understand, that all that random buyers at BestBuy who want to play games, when they see Xbox 360 for 200USD, PS3 for 400USD and PC for 500USD go home with the Xbox 360 and dont give a damn about that PCs for 500USD can play all current PC games on maxed out settings...

I think you need to do some research on current computer technology, bro, and stop relying on what existed when you first started selling computers.

I have been making my living with selling PCs few years ago, and after 1st week at my work i rather stopped to count people which answered to the question "What will be the primary use of your PC?" with "All I want is something simple, i do not need anything powerful, it's just for games." And after i told them that gaming is one of the most demanding applications for PCs, and recommended them gaming rig for 500EUR instead of they dream rig for 300EUR with Celeron, intel IGP, 256MB RAM and 40GB HDD, they just looked at me with the "Another clown who wants to steal 200EUR from us" look...

When you ask random PC owner what is the difference between ATI and Nvidia, they end up with same look as I end up everytime, when I go shopping with my girlfriend and she ask me "what you think is better for me, that Margaret Astor mascara or that Rimmel one over there?"

I hope you now understand, that all that random buyers at BestBuy who want to play games, when they see Xbox 360 for 200USD, PS3 for 400USD and PC for 500USD go home with the Xbox 360 and dont give a damn about that PCs for 500USD can play all current PC games on maxed out settings...

I think you need to do some research on current computer technology, bro, and stop relying on what existed when you first started selling computers.

The same thing apply to current PC customers aswell... You would be surprised how many PC owners, if you offered them GPU for free and let them chose from Asus Nvidia EN7950GT/HTDP/512M and Asus ATI EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, without access to any outside help, will choose the nvidia card just because "it has bigger number, it must be better" reason. EDIT: (Or because they heard from someone that Nvidia is always the best choice for graphics). /EDIT

It's realy crazy, that so many PC savvy poeple cannot look through the eyes of common person who do understand PC computing as much as quantum physics (i am not affraid to say that about 75-85% of all people look at computers that way)

And i am not your bro...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The same thing apply to current PC customers aswell... You would be surprised how many PC owners, if you offered them GPU for free and let them chose from Asus Nvidia EN7950GT/HTDP/512M and Asus ATI EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, without access to any outside help, will choose the nvidia card just because "it has bigger number, it must be better" reason. EDIT: (Or because they heard from someone that Nvidia is always the best choice for graphics). /EDIT

It's realy crazy, that so many PC savvy poeple cannot look through the eyes of common person who do understand PC computing as much as quantum physics (i am not affraid to say that about 75-85% of all people look at computers that way)

Yeah but you continue this delusion that any of that matters. It doesn't. It doesn't matter whether somebody gets the **** PC or the megabucks superawesome PC since they are both now more powerful than consoles and certainly standardised well enough now (the days of having 6 different graphics card makers are long gone).

I concede right now there might be a transition happening w.r.t. to that last lot of people with old generation PCs who have yet to buy a new one that is by default better than any console (like myself, for instance), but that's not a large number, relatively, and crucially it gets smaller every day.

And i am not your bro...

Yeah you are bro.

And i am not your bro...

Yeah you are bro.

OK sis, i will be your bro then.

It doesn't matter whether somebody gets the **** PC or the megabucks superawesome PC since they are both now more powerful than consoles and certainly standardised well enough now (the days of having 6 different graphics card makers are long gone).

And no one is saying the PC is not more powerful than a console, I am for example saying that it is not an option for average gamer customer because it is still 200USD more expensive than Xbox 360... try to read whole my posts not only few paragraphs...

Edited by Mamoulian War

And i am not your bro...

Yeah you are bro.

It doesn't matter whether somebody gets the **** PC or the megabucks superawesome PC since they are both now more powerful than consoles and certainly standardised well enough now (the days of having 6 different graphics card makers are long gone).

And no one is saying the PC is not more powerful than a console, I am for example saying that it is not an option for average gamer customer because it is still 200USD more expensive than Xbox 360... try to read whole my posts not only few paragraphs...

Who doesn't already own a PC these days? Upgrading an office PC to run games should be cheaper than buying an Xbox 360.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

And i am not your bro...

Yeah you are bro.

Who doesn't already own a PC these days? Upgrading an office PC to run games should be cheaper than buying an Xbox 360.

It highly depends on how much is the customer educated into computers... From my praxis i can tell you that common people are more likely to buy new PC than upgrade it. It might be just a perk in a area where i live though, so i would not asume that this is a standard customer behaviour everywhere in the world...

Upgrading can be a tricky proposition even for someone who is comfortable with a PC. Sure, adding a stick of RAM isn't too hard, but there are a lot of questions you have to answer just buying the right stick of RAM, and then you might have complications with the OS reading it right.

Nevermind adding a new chipset or mobo! The computer industry has made this stuff extremely complicated If I want to get a new videocard, I have to do a ton of research ahead of time to make sure I get the best bang for my buck, and the entire market changes every few months!

So yeah, upgrading is not for everyone.

Upgrading can be a tricky proposition even for someone who is comfortable with a PC. Sure, adding a stick of RAM isn't too hard, but there are a lot of questions you have to answer just buying the right stick of RAM, and then you might have complications with the OS reading it right.

Nevermind adding a new chipset or mobo! The computer industry has made this stuff extremely complicated If I want to get a new videocard, I have to do a ton of research ahead of time to make sure I get the best bang for my buck, and the entire market changes every few months!

So yeah, upgrading is not for everyone.

Or you can ask someone who already knows. Through the Internet, even! :)

Anyway, all you have to do to upgrade a computer is check which motherboard you own, go to the mobo's company site, check which kind of processors, graphics cards and RAM it supports, and get the required components. And if you are not sure you can ask someone. Really, computer hardware savvy aren't exactly in short supply these days. Someone may not know much about the subject, but I'm sure everyone knows one or two people who do have the necessary knowledge.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

We might need PC/console hybrids. And by that I mean a fixed platform of hardware to run any game released for it, but with all the other uses of a PC.

It would make buying a computer simpler, and this would in turn bring in more sales. Or not. I can't say.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

If they drilled a hole in the PS3 where I could fit in as much RAM as I wanted, I'd buy one. I mean, the thing already supports both keyboards and secondary OS's to be installed. But who in their right mind would try to do anything like that on 256 MB of RAM?!

Oh, and my cousin has a PS3. Everything you do on it takes time. Watch a Blu-ray? Wait 30 seconds for the console to do.. something. Then it starts. Want to try Home? Download 300 MB of.. something, then wait for 20 minutes while the console does.. something. Try a demo? Wait 20 minutes while the consoled downloads stuff (and you CAN NOT watch a Blu-ray meanwhile, we tried!) and then wait 20 minutes while the console installs the demo. Everything, and I mean everything felt laggy and slow and not especially "next gen". I haven't done much other than play games on the Xbox 360, but it sure feels quicker and more responsive. And louder.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If they drilled a hole in the PS3 where I could fit in as much RAM as I wanted, I'd buy one. I mean, the thing already supports both keyboards and secondary OS's to be installed. But who in their right mind would try to do anything like that on 256 MB of RAM?!

Oh, and my cousin has a PS3. Everything you do on it takes time. Watch a Blu-ray? Wait 30 seconds for the console to do.. something. Then it starts. Want to try Home? Download 300 MB of.. something, then wait for 20 minutes while the console does.. something. Try a demo? Wait 20 minutes while the consoled downloads stuff (and you CAN NOT watch a Blu-ray meanwhile, we tried!) and then wait 20 minutes while the console installs the demo. Everything, and I mean everything felt laggy and slow and not especially "next gen". I haven't done much other than play games on the Xbox 360, but it sure feels quicker and more responsive. And louder.

HA!

DSC_0204.jpg

^ Imagine working with one of those! URGH! Huge, and heavy, it's even got old skool switches on it... Very next gen dude...

xbox360_dev_kit_1.jpg

The PS3 is a hunk of junk.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Good that not everyone is thinking that way >_<

And here is link i found few days ago, it made me smile, because it is very similar to lot of articles which emerged with the realease of PS3 :D

http://archive.salon.com/tech/log/2000/10/...rant/index.html

Find a new computer shop. You're being ripped off.

My upgrade last year costed me I think 630€. That was a Q6600, 8800GT, new Mobo, 4 Gb memory, new PSU, Arctic CPU Cooler. Later I bought a 500 gb HDD for cheap 50€, and my X-Fi serves me since 2007 (50€ as well I think).

What's that crap with $1500 PC's anyway? Buying in Uganda? Besides, console games are usually 20€ more expensive. You safe money there too.

Edited by Morgoth

My upgrade last year costed me I think 630€. That was a Q6600, 8800GT, new Mobo, 4 Gb memory, new PSU, Arctic CPU Cooler. Later I bought a 500 gb HDD for cheap 50€, and my X-Fi serves me since 2007 (50€ as well I think).

What's that crap with $1500 PC's anyway? Buying in Uganda? Besides, console games are usually 20€ more expensive. You safe money there too.

If you enthusiast you can easily craft home PC even for 30000 EUR :p

I for example never bought anything that costs less than 1500EUR (my current PC with all the upgrades i made last year is atm worth around 2000-2250 EUR), my most expensive PC was more than 2500EUR, but that was long time ago...

If you want best experience, has a good job and are single, you can afford that easily, now that i have long term relationship, and thinking about children and marriage, i would be fool to invest more than 300EUR into gaming (even at that money is my gf looking bad at me, because she thinks that gaming sucks :))... At least i do have my own apartment already, but for 2000EUR wich i had saved for my new rig of awesomness, i rather buy some furniture...

I was always buying stuff on saying "I am not rich enough, to buy me cheap things"... i have no clue if that is used or even correct in english aswell, but it's a direct translation from slovak.

Now i have to compare the prices aswell :p

Edited by Mamoulian War

Every 12-18 months I do a cpu, mobo, ram and video card upgrade. While I never buy the latest bleeding edge (I buy about one generation behind the newest, most cost effective price vs performance) the upgrades certainly cost much less then a new ps3 and easily last me over a year. If I wanted to my current AMD X2 5200+ 2gigs ram and 8800GT 512meg prob could last me until 2010 if I desired with very acceptable gameplay still.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Every 12-18 months I do a cpu, mobo, ram and video card upgrade. While I never buy the latest bleeding edge (I buy about one generation behind the newest, most cost effective price vs performance) the upgrades certainly cost much less then a new ps3 and easily last me over a year. If I wanted to my current AMD X2 5200+ 2gigs ram and 8800GT 512meg prob could last me until 2010 if I desired with very acceptable gameplay still.

Just to add fuel into the heat :) According to Sony, PS3 will last you 7 more years :p

http://games.techwhack.com/557-playstation...o-last-a-decade

Just to add fuel into the heat :p According to Sony, PS3 will last you 7 more years ;)

Yes, in the same way the PSOne and PS2 have lasted for ten years. The last five as budget alternatives to the newer shinier console.

Looks like few hundred thousend No one cares about it, PS2 still sells like hot cakes, and even big houses like Square Enix are still doing some games for PS2 :)

I am very happy with my PS2, and would not sell it, because the games i have are not to get on anything else, and most of them has better gameplay than most of the "next-gen" stuff released for it's competitors or PCs... not even for 500EUR...