Will there be Next-Gen consoles at all?

Morgoth

Final Fantasy XIII and versus XIII if you are into JRPG, Gran Turismo 5 if you are into racing, Metal Gear Solid 4 if you are into ... well Metal Gear Solid series :*, Little Big Planet if you are into family stuff, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction or Uncharted: Drake's Fortune if you are into action-adventure, Killzone 2 if you are into FPS

Sorry, I miss-wrote PS2 with PS3 (that's why the edit). I once owned a PS3 and played Drake and MGS4, but what stuff do you think is good (and exclusive) on the PS2? No Sqauere-Enix stuff please. I heard Primal, God of War, Ico+Sequel are good for starters.

Edited by Morgoth

Final Fantasy XIII and versus XIII if you are into JRPG, Gran Turismo 5 if you are into racing, Metal Gear Solid 4 if you are into ... well Metal Gear Solid series :*, Little Big Planet if you are into family stuff, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction or Uncharted: Drake's Fortune if you are into action-adventure, Killzone 2 if you are into FPS

Sorry, I miss-wrote PS2 with PS3 (that's why the edit). I once owned a PS3 and played Drake and MGS4, but what stuff do you think is good (and exclusive) on the PS2? No Sqauere-Enix stuff please. I heard Primal, God of War, Ico+Sequel are good for starters.

God of War for sure is a must buy, Grand Turismo 4 is my recommendation, If you can get some stuff from ebay buy Crash Bandicoot 1,2,3 (all ps1 games, but ps2 versions of crash are not so good imo), Metal Gear Solid series, Devil May Cry series, and still i have to reccomend you Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series :p

Oh yeah i forgot Tenchu and Onimusha series...

EDIT: and yeah i recommend you to buy PS3 again after it's price hit bargain bin like the price of PS2 is atm if you are full time PC player :p there will be lots of worth-to-play of exclusives aswell...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Ehm... you forgetting that PS2 is 8 years in sale and still selling...

Actually I did not. Re-read my post.

Also the people who run steam are likely to be part of the so-called hardcore and not a good view of gamers as an actual demographic.

That doesn't really make sense based on the figures or appeal of Steam (nor for example it's mandated use in many mainstream games).

A more interesting focus might be the shift to success of light-weight consoles in recent times. Compare the sales of the DS and Wii vs Xbox and PS3. If that trend continues it flies squarely in the face of MW's earlier claims about performance w.r.t. to consoles and PCs.

Edited by Krezack

That doesn't really make sense based on the figures or appeal of Steam (nor for example it's mandated use in many mainstream games).

Mostly Valve games. :( I could be wrong but last I checked most people still feel that steam is that strange program that they have to use to play counterstrike.

It doesn't matter how richer people are or how many more of them are alive when judging whether consoles peaked in the 90s. You're trying to judge the current consoles against the last generation with sales number only covering what they've sold now, until we are at the end of the generation we can't do that comparison.

Last I saw a graph for current generation system sales it seemed to be relaticely linear and if we presume that it will continue as such then the current generation will aproximately reach something in the range of the last two generations. Or am I completely wrong and missing something obvious?

You are correct in you handheld gaming assumption and I'm personally quite interested in how much the DS will have sold by the start of the next generation.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Huh. Look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-...o_game_consoles

If the console industry is booming, why did it seemingly peak in the 1990's? There are more people alive today, people are richer, and the current consoles are far superior to their earlier brethren. PC's certainly haven't wasted any time in this regard.

Seems like the PR and spin we here in the media may not tell the full story.

I have no idea (nor looking down at your following post) how you can claim it peaked in the 1990s.

You can't argue that the steam survey isn't partial to a specific part of the gaming demographic, Krezzy. I do agree that people should look at it.

Well, yes, there's a bit of a self-selection problem evident in that only the people with computers sufficiently powerful to run Steam games will use Steam. But pretty much any computer around these days can use Steam. This is certainly a sample space problem, but it's minor enough.

I would disagree that it is minor enough.

You're asking gamers what their computer specs are, and assuming it is an accurate enough random sample of all computer games?

Call me skeptical.