Planescape's 10 year anniversary...

I wouldn't mind a remake using some of the same concepts and the same world, even the same basic story, but only if some of the text was removed and replaced with more interactive gameplay of some sort.

I know there are some who hold PS:T as sacred, but really a lot of the stuff you have to read (and read and read) is neither good nor interesting.

I mean, 4 pages of small print overblown dialogue about a guys farting problem?

Come on. Every writer needs an editor to tell them when they are out of control.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You might be hating it, but i enjoyed every single line in that game :p

i would kill to see something like that released again... but will not happen again... kids nowadays are to lazy to read, be it books lines in games or even newspaper...

this game helped me a lot with learning english aswell (not native speaker)

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

You might be hating it, but i enjoyed every single line in that game :p

this game helped me a lot with learning english aswell (not native speaker)

Hating it? Hardly. There's a lot of interesting stuff in the game. NPC's are downright awesome. But no, I'm not a fanboy who sees no wrong in it.

ALso the Morridor's Box quest should be destroyed. The worst fedex quest ever put into a crpg. Funny it would show up in a game so famous for its characters and story.

kids nowadays are to lazy to read, be it books lines in games or even newspaper...

I don't want my game to be a book. Books are indeed for reading. I read all the time. Its aweseom. Games however are for playing.

Some, even a large amount of, text and dialogue can help expand a game world wonderfully. Too much just makes a game constipated.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah, the number of times you spend criss-crossing the Hive on a variety of fetch quests is one aspect of the game that hasn't aged particularly well.

Still I haven't played it in ages, so I might give it a shot next time I have a gap in interesting games waiting for my attention.

But no, I'm not a fanboy who sees no wrong in it.

People who disagree with your assessment of a game are not necessarily fanboys... :p

Morridor is very slightly better than your normal CRPG fedex quest. Wouldn't miss it, but no reason to hate on it.

People who disagree with your assessment of a game are not necessarily fanboys... :p

Disagreeing with my assessment doesn't cause me to consider them a fanboy. Lines like "but i enjoyed every single line in that game" cause me to consider them a fanboy. I consider a fanboy to be someone who simply reveres a game without acknowledging its failure and problems.

Every game has failures and problems.

Morridor is very slightly better than your normal CRPG fedex quest. Wouldn't miss it, but no reason to hate on it.

I've never played a fedex quest that forced me to do that much walking between areas and so many pointless NPC interviews at each location. If you have, you certainly have my sympathy for having to suffer it.

Considering that Moridor's Box quest was entirely optional and could be "solved" in five seconds by opening the box, I really don't see the problem.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Lines like "but i enjoyed every single line in that game" cause me to consider them a fanboy.

But what if they did enjoy the vast majority of the lines? I know I did. Some of them weren't as great as the others, but they all contributed to the atmosphere, and none made me groan.

Considering that Moridor's Box quest was entirely optional and could be "solved" in five seconds by opening the box, I really don't see the problem.

IIRC, the whole point to the quest was not to open the box becasue there wasa demon inside. Or something?

Optional? How do I know what is optional or not the first time I play a game? I'm just wandering the streets talking with people. I don't know what is going to lead to more significant events later on. Part of a crpg experience is to immersive in the world and talk with people. ANd for that I was rewarded with a seriously tedious quest. I don't see how that can be considered good game design.

Sure, if I replayed PS:T now I would skip it. But games aren't played first time with the knowledge of hindsight. And a good crpg shouldn't need to be metagamed.

Maybe just acknowledge that while PS:T does a lot of good things; it does some bad things as well? Hmmm?

Lines like "but i enjoyed every single line in that game" cause me to consider them a fanboy.

But what if they did enjoy the vast majority of the lines? I know I did. Some of them weren't as great as the others, but they all contributed to the atmosphere, and none made me groan.

If you enjoyed all the lines that's great. I can't argue with your or anyone else's enjoyment, nor would I want to. Be happy.

I just doubt whether out of hundreds of thousands of lines of text that aren't some that merit a red slash with the editing pencil.

Disagreeing with my assessment doesn't cause me to consider them a fanboy. Lines like "but i enjoyed every single line in that game" cause me to consider them a fanboy. I consider a fanboy to be someone who simply reveres a game without acknowledging its failure and problems.

Every game has failures and problems.

I never said the game was flawless, i just said i enjoyed every single line :) what's wrong with it? can't be someone happy about so much in-depth dialogue trees never before and never after seen in any other game???

That experience was and stays unique in my gaming "career"... i know if i did not play the game, i would miss a lot!!!...

There are few things i did not liked about PS:T, for example i hated that everytime i started the game i had to start as a Fighter... And in all games i always play caster classes... But that minor glitch did not destroy the overall joy in me which i had whole the time during the play... that feeling is very seldom, and when you get it, you know you are playing something you will never forget... during last 20 years i had that feeling maybe on 8 or 10 other games...

Maybe just acknowledge that while PS:T does a lot of good things; it does some bad things as well? Hmmm?

Why do you have such an agenda? Why are you so intent on making other people admit to your assessment?

I have never considered that quest that way, and as such, never considered it a 'flaw'. There *are* flaws with PS:T, for instance the relative blandness of its combat; but I would argue that those quests and dialogue DID add to the feel of the game and the experience.

I"ll happily agree with you if you're just wanting to prove the mythical "PST=GOD" crowd wrong, but I have to reject your strongheaded mindset here.

That experience was and stays unique in my gaming "career"... i know if i did not play the game, i would miss a lot!!!...

I agree it was a unique game and I enjoyed it a fair amount. Though not nearly so much as some. It did a lot of interesting things.

As I said before I would enjoy a remake keeping much of the game intact. But I would have no interest in playing the exact same game again. A few changes would make it work better for me. I game a couple example

Then you, my friend, said I was hating it. WHich I wasn't. Even remotely. SO I don't know where you came up with the word.

Except, my assumption, that you are one of those people who takes anything less than total and 100% reverence of a game as a personal insult. PS:T has a lot of those.

Perhaps you are not one. But if so, you should understand that I am not hating PS:T. At all.

Peace.

Why do you have such an agenda? Why are you so intent on making other people admit to your assessment?

I have never considered that quest that way, and as such, never considered it a 'flaw'. There *are* flaws with PS:T, for instance the relative blandness of its combat; but I would argue that those quests and dialogue DID add to the feel of the game and the experience.

I"ll happily agree with you if you're just wanting to prove the mythical "PST=GOD" crowd wrong, but I have to reject your strongheaded mindset here.

I don't get where you are coming from. I like PS:T. I don't think it is perfect. Or provides total enjoymenty. Or is without faults and merited criticism. I don't think any game is. There is no point beyond that.

It's not the game that's not ageing well, it's us ;)

Anyway, PS:T = the :sorcerer: iest game I've played, so happy birthday, game! Those mods are a bit bothersome however, now that I know of them I have to install them and restart again, hrmph...

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I couldn't resist and I reinstalled the game again. I'll finish it as my favorite incarnation, LG mage (since LE is so damned difficult to attain in PS:T).

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Happy birthday! Give your baby a huggie MCA!

Can only imagine how old is MCA now after ten years.

...hehehe...I guesses when ye peak early, 'tis all be downhill from there...mebbe a remake'll give 'im his midlife crisis... :sorcerer:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Then you, my friend, said I was hating it. WHich I wasn't. Even remotely. SO I don't know where you came up with the word.

Maybe i came to that conclusion the same way like you did came to conclusion that i am a fanboy ;)

so looks like we are both wrong :D

Peace :sorcerer:

Maybe i came to that conclusion the same way like you did came to conclusion that i am a fanboy ;)

so looks like we are both wrong :D

Peace :sorcerer:

Fair enough.

I think there's a lot of cutting that could be done to PS:T without hurting the experience. In fact, removing some of the dialogue, adding a bit of dialogue in certain spots, proofreading the dialogue so that the few but glaring mistakes would be gone would all make the game better. ...And it's probably my all time favorite game.

The music and the atmosphere were great, and I don't really care about combat, although I suppose combat could be make more engaging. If you can get good voice over actors for the whole game, voicing some things would be great. Don't fixating on having everything voiced, though, as you'd end up messing up the written dialogue which is inextricably associated with the title at any rate. I would keep the art essentially the same, although improving the graphics and certainly allowing for significantly higher resolutions is a simple no brainer.

Like Sammael, I would spend time fleshing out some of the area, quests, and characters. Ravel is just fine, but FFG needs either more development or less clues. The infamous journal either needs to have more to it or be gone, of course. The PC need not be able to open it, but it would be better to advance that story more or heighten the impact of her refusal to open it. As it stands now, it's just something that frustrates a lot of players.

There are many things I would do with PS:T, but I would not dramatically change what I view as the essence of the game.

However, more than a remake of the game, which I would most surely purchase, I would like a spiritual successor. I'd like a game that takes what PS:T did and, not with the same story or character, does it again. I think MotB had a lot in common with PS:T. I think it is as much of a spiritual successor as any game I've ever seen. That was an expansion. I'd like to see someone build a full title from the ground up.

There are some real fed-ex quests in Torment when you're going around the Hive. The thing is, since you've generally got a lot of quests going at once, I just end up doing quests whenever I go to the particular area. Like for the Moridor Box one, I don't strictly follow that questline until its finish, I try to make it as smooth as possible. Since there is a wealth of quests in the Hive, I don't think fed-ex quests are noticeable since there is constantly stuff you can be distracted with.

I think Mebbeths little questline is probably my least favourite since there you actually have to go back and forth a number of times, but even that is not terrible. Plus, it's got some interesting ideas and it all ties in nicely when you become a mage.

If I got to change Torment the way I wanted, well... I can say that I wouldn't remove any text. In fact, I would add more to some characters in the later areas. Fhjull and Trias are the most glaring examples I feel. Undoubtedly important characters, but they don't seem to stack up very well when compared to the earlier ones. They could've both used a lot more "meat" so to speak.

The bits in Curst and Baator are like that. They feel much more barebone than Sigil, and of course the game goes combatheavy for a while there which feels extremely strange in the flow of the game.

There's also some stuff that I would perhaps cut or change, but most of it is the really optional stuff. Getting mazed isn't very exciting, nor is the Nordom dungeon (though I love the idea of it). UnderSigil could've used something more other than combat as well.

Still, my second favourite game behind Fallout 1. And it's a truly unique one.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0