Proper CQC

Heh, I meant "sophisticated" in a less ambitious sense. More like having to do something more involved than a single button press per CQC. That said, hard to argue against having more info, so thanks again.

That seems like a pretty fair rendition of CQC within the larger scheme of things. On a related note, how reluctant is the AI to open fire on Thornton while he's in a scuffle? Realistically, hitting both or the wrong combatant is a very real concern. At the same time, having an army stand around and watch while Thornton beats their buddy up is a little questionable too.

Ah.. does he only throw straight jabs and one kind of a kick or can we expect to see knee kicks, knife hand strikes, perhaps some tripping of the enemy, Karate style "locks"(where you break someones arm/whatever with a strike instantly instead of holding him there) et cetera? The most important thing for me would be that there is some variety - that he doesn't always do the same combo and attack the same area.

There's a pretty nice amount of variety. One of the reasons we chose AK was because of its wide variety of strikes.

About the block/counter thing.. does the opponents/your level affect the chance? How quickly can you take someone down with CQC normally? Because there shouldn't really be a need to do it for long.

Some enemies are more skilled at hand to hand defense and are more likely to block and counter. How quickly you can take someone down does depend on the enemy and how you built your character.

Cl_Flushentityhero: I wouldn't really say it's sophisticated. It's simple, but it has good variety and a little more flexibility than just doing the same two-hit combo on a guy over and over. It's very easy to target enemies with CQC when you get up on them, whereas aiming and targeting a gun can be a little trickier at close range (especially on a console controller). I think people will mostly use CQC from stealth, to perform immediate (and silent) take downs. In firefights, it will often be reserved for situations where enemies just get too close to make standard running and gunning easy. One of the CQC unlocks is a quick flying knee (not AK, but... come on, flying knees are pretty sweet), so you can also use it to quickly send a guy flying if someone steps out while you're in a running state.

Sounds good, thanks! And Cl's question above me made me wonder if you can take human shields. Can you reveal if it's possible? Anyways, thanks for answering.

• 3 months later...
Martial arts is boring unless the player is a chick.

Very funny, yet so very creepy at the same time.

Anyway, I remember discussing a few of my concerns about there being no disarms in the game (as far as we know). Here is a link to the thread in which I made my concerns known. Now I didn't get a definite answer about whether or not there will be disarms in the game. It was a little disappointing but the fact that I heard back from a dev at all is astounding so a big thumbs up to the devs who read the boards and respond to our questions.

Still I will most likely rent the game if I don't buy it and undoubtedly I will max out my CQC tree so I can get that flying knee. I can imagine that there might be a few timed escape missions where a flying knee will be most useful.

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

The bits I've seen in the recent trailers bring jade empire to mind, which is a mild off put for realism, I plan to get the game anyway but going through armed people one after another with JE type long attack strings...

Will he have any trips takedowns or stomps? Some strong judo tosses to make the multi target melee work?

I would figure the martial art skill branch would have less wing chun flavor and a lot more tactical and dirty.

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

Doubtful there will be extreme depth for CQC. I have yet to see games utilizing both sharp shooting and CQC combat mechanics since each of them takes alot of work with Devil May Cry series being an exception.

It just comes down to unlocking more move sets with additional skill points like the flying knee, longer combos to break guardedmartial art capable enemies or granting possible access to use curved daggers.

Logically, CQC is never meant to be used against a group of armed enemies, but rather isolated ones or enemies that got too close to you to aim and fire back quickly. Furthermore it serves as an alternative for silent bloodless take downs. So if you put your character into a situation where he is surrounded by heavily armed men, your best option is simply to run away to be honest.

Seeing MT flying kick the guy in the face during the gameplay trailer was pretty epic, imo.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't posted on CQC in at least a few days, so here goes.

Doubtful there will be extreme depth for CQC. I have yet to see games utilizing both sharp shooting and CQC combat mechanics since each of them takes alot of work with Devil May Cry series being an exception.

That's a lofty claim. I'm a pretty big DMC fan, but I wouldn't consider any of the individual mechanics very deep. The shooting is pretty simple, and the melee is just a few combos. It works out because it's well-balanced and it makes the most of a fairly crude interface, but I wouldn't call it a triumph of engrossing shooting mechanics + engrossing melee mechanics. If anything, the guns have always been a little tacked-on (of course, I use them way more than I should).

Logically, CQC is never meant to be used against a group of armed enemies, but rather isolated ones or enemies that got too close to you to aim and fire back quickly.

I dunno, Jason Bourne takes down groups of armed enemies all the time. Also, it's a skill in the game, so the assumption is that it's roughly balanced with any of the other weapon skills. You can drop 3 enemies (in theory) with the pistol chain shot or the SMG bullet storm, why not have multi-takedowns?

Furthermore it serves as an alternative for silent bloodless take downs. So if you put your character into a situation where he is surrounded by heavily armed men, your best option is simply to run away to be honest.

Isn't it a bit early to say that? I don't think they've really shown much of the CQC gameplay yet aside from split-second clips.