Trouble with new HD

Pope

I just connected a new 1 TB HD into my pc, but it doesn't show up in My Computer. It got detected upon startup though. I went to configuration > hardware, and the HD appeared in the list of hardware, and it even said it's working correctly, but still I can't access it. The computer is running XP.

No that's not the problem.

I've found my way to control panel > performance and maintenance > computer management > disk management, and initialised the disk. But there seems to be more to it. It says it's not assigned. Is that what needs to be done, and if so, how?

Edited by Pope

Also, why do hard disks always lie about their size? When I bought a 250GB HD, it actually was only 230. With a 500GB HD, it was 455. Now with this 1TB HD, it's 930 (so it says in the menu mentioned above).

Edited by Pope

No that's not the problem.

I've found my way to configuration > system management > computer management > storage devices > storage device management (not sure if those are the correct English terms though), and initialised the disk. But there seems to be more to it. It says it's not assigned. Is that what needs to be done, and if so, how?

That's weird. Have you perhaps tried installing the drivers from the CD that came with it?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...844&sd=tech

According to this guide, I should right-click the drive and assign a letter, but that option doesn't come up when I right-click. It does appear on my other HD though.

I think I might've found it. I selected to add a new partition. I could then assign a letter, and now it's formatting.

Edited by Pope

Also, why do hard disks always lie about their size? When I bought a 250GB HD, it actually was only 230. With a 500GB HD, it was 455. Now with this 1TB HD, it's 930 (so it says in the menu mentioned above).

They don't really lie. It stems from the difference in definitions of prefixes.

Standard definitions:

Kilo = 1,000

Mega = 1,000,000

Giga = 1,000,000,000

Tera = 1,000,000,000,000

Therefore, in standard terminology Terabyte is 1,000,000,000,000 bytes.

In computing terminology, however, each new prefix is defined by being a positive integer in 2^10n, so:

Kilobyte = 1,024 bytes

Megabyte = 1048576 bytes

Gigabyte = 1073741824 bytes

Terabyte = 1099511627776 bytes

(Note, this terminology has now been officially replaced to avoid confusion with lame names, such as Gigibyte...)

Hence, your HDD probably has 1,000,000,000,000 bytes, which is 1TB in standard terminology, but in the old, but still widely used computing terms, this only amounts to 909.4947017729282379150390625 computer Gigabytes (Gigibytes).

Cool now go buy another TB HDD! 2TB FTW!!

Do these even exist at this point in time?!?!

Seagate makes some nice 1.5TB drives. Get 2 of those and you are covered for the next 6-12 months :huh:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Cool now go buy another TB HDD! 2TB FTW!!

Do these even exist at this point in time?!?!

Seagate makes some nice 1.5TB drives. Get 2 of those and you are covered for the next 6-12 months :huh:

Interesting - I thought 1TB was the biggest at the moment. My largest HDD is a 320GB external drive, while my laptop has a 100GB HDD. My new laptop about to arrive this week or the next will have a 500GB HDD.

Ok, so I only have a 250 GB and a 500 GB (I do not RAID!). But even when I've installed Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Mass Effect, The Witcher and so on and so forth.. I still have like 450 GB free on the 500 and 240 GB on the 250! What do you use 3 TB of storage space for? What am I missing here?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Standard definitions:

Kilo = 1,000

Mega = 1,000,000

Giga = 1,000,000,000

Tera = 1,000,000,000,000

In computing terminology, however, each new prefix is defined by being a positive integer in 2^10n, so:

Kilobyte = 1,024 bytes

Megabyte = 1048576 bytes

(Note, this terminology has now been officially replaced to avoid confusion with lame names, such as Gigibyte...)

Hence, your HDD probably has 1,000,000,000,000 bytes, which is 1TB in standard terminology, but in the old, but still widely used computing terms, this only amounts to 909.4947017729282379150390625 computer Gigabytes (Gigibytes).

Yeah, manufacturers usually choose to measure memory not incorrectly, but so that the seems to be larger than it actually is by the way most operating systems measure it. But a friend of mine bought a 500gb drive this summer that was about 502gb, so not all manufacturers are running this mini-scam. I think it was a Seagate but Im not sure.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Standard definitions:

Kilo = 1,000

Mega = 1,000,000

Giga = 1,000,000,000

Tera = 1,000,000,000,000

Kilobyte = 1,024 bytes

Megabyte = 1048576 bytes

Yeah, manufacturers usually choose to measure memory not incorrectly, but so that the seems to be larger than it actually is by the way most operating systems measure it. But a friend of mine bought a 500gb drive this summer that was about 502gb, so not all manufacturers are running this mini-scam. I think it was a Seagate but Im not sure.

Well, technically speaking the way manufacturers measure it is officially correct and the way the OS measures it is not. But yeah, it can be a bit deceptive.