Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire out Tomorrow! (Aug 24)

The Quest for Glory games http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Glory were some of the most unique adventure games ever created, combining RPG elements with classic adventure gaming. A few years ago I discovered this series (I wish I had played them at the time of their release) and I had a blast playing through them all.

The first two games in the series used a typing interface, like many other old Sierra adventure games (King's, Space, Police Quests). The original Quest for Glory received a VGA remake and update to point and click style, though Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire unfortunately never received a remake.

Well, thats about to change. o:)

http://www.agdinteractive.com/

I'm in the process of playing the VGA remake in preparation of transferring my character into QfG 2. I think QfG 1 has to have one of the greatest adventure game deaths ever: Death by fairies. DANCE! DANCE!! :lol:

QFG 1 did have one of the greatest adventure game deaths ever -- but it wasn't the fairies -- it was being able to shove a lock pick up your nose and hemorrhage o:)

I discovered it after getting stuck and frustrated with the game. It was a complete surprise when it happened though, didn't actually expect it to work -- my poor hero :lol:

I'm pretty sure it can't be done in the remake.

So when is this coming out?

I was going to play this when i was younger but i had enough games already to keep me busy. Kings quest, police quest, Gabriel knight ect.... I hear some people are redoing a lot of kings quest games now too!

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I suspect, though I can't be sure, that I've replayed this (and QfG1) more than any other adventure or RPG. I could quote you entire sequences of dialogue, and many of the item labels as well. I'm really looking forward to this, but of course I can't play until I've taken my character through QfG1 first. :sorcerer:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Sweet. I recall getting stuck fairly early on in QFG2 (and, this being pre-internet times, getting stuck ended up being permanent). I had beaten QFG1, despite the fact that I was really awful at the combat system, but I think the subsequent titles were too demanding for the PC I used at the time. By the time I upgraded, other games had caught my eye.

Anyhow, Roget the Saurus, here I come!

Heh, I know what you mean about getting stuck in the pre-internet days. Took me over TWO years of off and on playing to beat Space Quest & King's Quest II.

I got held up for ages because of phrasing in Space Quest. Was in a small space ship outside of a large alien ship and I wanted to get from my small ship to the alien ship. I typed 'Put Jetpack On'... and it came back with a 'does not compute' type error. Eventually I figured out I needed to type 'Put On Jetpack' instead of 'Put Jetpack On'. :banghead: I don't even remember how many months I wasted replaying the game thinking I had missed something along the way until I used the correct phrasing.

So, should someone who likes adventure games but has never played any of the QfG series(other than a short try of the last game back in late 99) be excited?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Heh, I know what you mean about getting stuck in the pre-internet days. Took me over TWO years of off and on playing to beat Space Quest & King's Quest II.

I think it took me something like 8 years to finally beat Pool of Radiance.. :banghead:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It was about 5 or 6 years ago that I discovered the Quest for Glory series and I greatly enjoyed playing through the whole series. I had played old Sierra adventure games growing up... so yeah, I think if someone enjoys adventure games they could definitely enjoy the Quest for Glory series now. The combination of RPG elements and three classes (with the 4th Paladin class unlocked in Trial by Fire if you complete certain quests) make it the most replayable adventure game I've ever seen.

As for playing the first game, you may just want to 'test the waters' with this Trial by Fire remake, and if you enjoy it then I would definitely recommend getting the first game. The advantage is that you can bring your character with all the skills you learned from the first game over to the second. The stories are fairly self-contained, though they do have numerous recurring characters and villains, so there are a few advantages to playing the first game... first.

I think they were forced to waste a lot of time on multi-player for Dragon Fire (which was eventually cut anyway, though there's a mod that restores it). It did still have some lovely moments, and of course there's the awesome music. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I DL'ed this today and played for a few hours as a new thief character. Fun stuff, although I still suck at the combat. And I'm totally hopeless at the tightrope-walking. The flavor text/Easter eggs are as entertaining as I remembered, (I'm avoiding buying my Saurus just so that I can keep talking to the dealer) and I the added content for the update meshes well.

Edited by Enoch