Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My awful computer needs an update. Bad.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4238 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Space
I have an incredibly awful computer. It can't even run WoW at anything but low graphics. It can't render 3d shadows either.

This is why I don't play on the PC (and miss all the good smart stuff), but I've gotten sick of dropping framerates and I actually have money to spend for once. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I would REALLY appreciate help or suggestions... heck, anything might help.

My current specs (if they actually change anything) are:
512 Mb RAM
Intel 960 video card
516 Intel Pentium 4 processor

I'm trying to keep it below 1000$... Preferrably much lower. So what would make for a good rig, able to run all the latest games but not necessarily Crysis at max settings, while still relatively cheap. Maybe I'm asking for a miracle, but you guys know more than I do.

I'm also wondering whether I should just give up and buy a whole new computer.

So please Obsidian, Pimp my Comp!

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
I didn't put this combo together myself, but it's actually something Crytek recommended back in January to run Crysis on high

CPU - Intel Core2Duo E6750
GPU - GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 650i Socket 775
PSU - 600W ATX12V
RAM - 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
HDD - SATA 250GB 7200RPM
DVD - 20x DVD±R Burner
Case - ATX Midi Tower Computer Case
OS - Microsoft Windows XP Home with SP2

Total should be around $700 now

Magister Lajciak

Magister Lajciak

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1647 posts
"Buy a new computer," would be my recommendation

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4238 posts

I didn't put this combo together myself, but it's actually something Crytek recommended back in January to run Crysis on high

PSU - 600W ATX12V
HDD - SATA 250GB 7200RPM
DVD - 20x DVD±R Burner

Sounds reasonable... and actually pretty damn good. Also sounds hard to install, but I think I can manage that. Thanks.

What would the price be? I'm rpetty sure a new (good) computer wouldn't cost less than 700$...

I'm still open to suggestions. Maybe someone here has the miracle formula. :bat:

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
If you go by Bokishi's advice, make sure you get the correct 8800GT, see here :bat: Furthermore, the HD4850 doesn't cost much more (15$ where I live) and delivers significantly more speed.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

PSU - 600W ATX12V
HDD - SATA 250GB 7200RPM
DVD - 20x DVD±R Burner

I'd step up to an E8400. Cheaper and faster since the 6750 is being/been phased out. With the price of DDR2, you might as well bump that up to 2x2GB even if you aren't planning on going with a 64bit OS.

Magister Lajciak

Magister Lajciak

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1647 posts

PSU - 600W ATX12V
HDD - SATA 250GB 7200RPM
DVD - 20x DVD±R Burner

Sounds reasonable... and actually pretty damn good. Also sounds hard to install, but I think I can manage that. Thanks.

What would the price be? I'm rpetty sure a new (good) computer wouldn't cost less than 700$...

Perhaps not under $700, but surely under the $1000 you mentioned as your limit. Particularly, if you bought the computer in component parts and assembled it yourself.

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4238 posts

PSU - 600W ATX12V
HDD - SATA 250GB 7200RPM
DVD - 20x DVD±R Burner

I'd step up to an E8400. Cheaper and faster since the 6750 is being/been phased out. With the price of DDR2, you might as well bump that up to 2x2GB even if you aren't planning on going with a 64bit OS.

I'm guessing RAM isn't exactly high priced?

Now I just have to find out where to get those and how to install them... I'm pretty much replacing everything in my comp anyway. Though I'd prefer not getting any closer to the 1000$ limit, I think a new comp with that kind of setup wouldn't cost me my whole summer's worth of salary.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

depends. the price for RAM is extremely volatile, more so than any other PC component. as such, it also has the distinction of yielding the most performance increase for the least cost, even when it is expensive. going from 1 GB to 2 GB makes a very noticeable difference in performance (or even up to 3 GB). much more than that, however, and i'm not sure how much you'll see.

taks

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

Now I just have to find out where to get those and how to install them... I'm pretty much replacing everything in my comp anyway. Though I'd prefer not getting any closer to the 1000$ limit, I think a new comp with that kind of setup wouldn't cost me my whole summer's worth of salary.

DDR2 ram is pretty damn cheap although some of it seems to be going up in price lately. Even so, 2GB can be had for as little as $35US and 4GB kits for as low as $65US. Both require mail in rebates to get that low. Even without the rebates, 4GB would probably still be one of the cheaper things in your system.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
More RAM the better

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

My current specs are:
512 Mb RAM
Intel 960 video card
516 Intel Pentium 4 processor

And I thought my PCs were bad... o:)
Anyways, I would recommend you do what I am planning to do whenever I get enough to cover the expenses - buy or build an entirely new system.

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4238 posts
Things are looking better. I went shopping basically. I got back with some questions answered and a good look at price/quality of what FuturShop has to offer.

I'm looking at two rigs.

First: 550$CA
AMD Triple Core 2.10 Gjz
DDR2 3G RAM
500 Go of space
Windows Vista SP1
And some sort of Nvidia card. Don't remember which. It was decent though.

Second: 800$CA
Intel Quad Core
4G of Ram
640G of space
Windows Vista SP1
Nvidia 9600SE (something like that. Supposedly very recent).

I would prefer not spending 800$, but then again I wouldn't have to upgrade it in a long while. On the other side, the first rig would only need a simple upgrade or two after a regular amount of time.

What do you think? :S

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
You can get the second setup for only $800?! Or did I misunderstand your post? If not, I'll also be upgrading (I was planning to wait until I had a bit more disposable income to put into the project, but I might do it early if systems can be built, or bought, that cheap).

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4238 posts
It comes without a computer screen, and this isn't including taxes. However, for 1000$ (taxes not included) you get a really really really good screen.

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ok, that makes slightly more sense;I'm looking at spending about that amount -preferably no more than $1,500- including the screen.

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4238 posts
Found them on Futureshop's website.

Setting 1

Setting 2

Here for a comparison between the two.

I would go for Setting 1, if only for the price. But (to my newb eyes), the second one sounds very high end. The second one also has twice the video memory. From 256 to 512 MB. Not sure how huge an advantage that is.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY, 18 August 2008 - 06:53 PM.

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Thanks for the links, although I would not recommend a HP. :)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade, 18 August 2008 - 08:41 PM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4767 posts
Core 7 is comming out probably late fall, if you can wait that long the older mobos and processors will be dirt cheap. Great opportunity for getting the most out of your money.

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4238 posts

Core 7 is comming out probably late fall, if you can wait that long the older mobos and processors will be dirt cheap. Great opportunity for getting the most out of your money.

I'm not sure the price drop in everything else will be all that drastic. It'll probably not be all that immediate either. But I'll probably wait for Fall anyway, considering the time it'll take me to decide. >.<

Thanks for the links, although I would not recommend a HP. ermm.gif

Hey, that's what I have right now. That pretty muc does it for me. If I'm getting any of these I'm getting the compaq. Quick question though, how good is the NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE? Because I'm not good with this stuff and I have no idea hwo to tell the difference.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users