PLEASE don't do the same mistake as bioware

gargar

"No paying for multiplayer"

Lies.

Doesn't Xbox Live cost M-O-N-E-Y?

At least it used to in previous generation

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

"Doesn't Xbox Live cost M-O-N-E-Y?"

1. It does.

2. Youc an still play MP without xbox live. I do it all the time.

3. PC games can also cost money to play online/MP. See most mmorpgs.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Actually, Volourn, some titles you can play on XBox Live for free. These are multiplayer games that have a "Games for Windows" equivelent, such as Shadowrun. I don't know if this is a permanent thing or a limited time offering.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

:shifty: yeah, let's turn this into a console vs. PC flamewar...

But really: It's not the best idea to praise consoles for multiplayer (other than hot seat), as this is a new phenomenon on consoles, because there simply was no access to the internet or other networks, while the technology had a lot of time to mature on PCs. Shooters on consoles are either difficult or slow to play, if you don't buy an addon keyboard+mouse, and strategy titles are almost no option.

Consoles to have DRM too: Sucky country codes making it unable for us Europeans to enjoy many interesting games only out in the US or Japan for lack of mass appeal or because of slow localization and PAL conversion. Such limitations just don't exist on PCs.

edited for correctness :p

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Samm's right. This is about DRM.

My perception is:

1. DRM doesn't work.

2. DRM forces me to jump through hoops.

3. DRM interferes with other processes on my machine.

Given point one, _WTF_ is it doing on my games?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's only on your games if you decided to buy it KNOWING full well what it entailed because EA/BIo were up front with it. Sorry, no sympathy here.

It be one thing if it was secretly thrown in; but it wasn't.

If you don't like the diea of it don't buy the game. Or play it.

Of course, that doens't mean I disagree with you. DRM as implemented for ME PC seems silly. Thankfully, I didn't need to worry since I had ME XBOX 360.

HAHAHA!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah, no sympathy if the software they include with their game screws up your computer and goes well beyond its intended purpose. I'm awesome because I rented Mass Effect for 360. Also renting makes consoles own PCs, except that on PC you can more easily steal things. I had to invest a lot of money into my original X-Box to be able to steal things and ended up not saving any money because there weren't enough games that I liked to be worth all that investment to steal them.

Edited by themadhatter114

But I wouldn't get all indignant about it in the same post in which you admit that one copy of the game made it into the hands of three people... Why did you give an activation to a friend "which you wanted to play it with him" when Mass Effect has no multiplayer?

And I would add that no one is forcing you to pirate a game. The "DRM forces me to be a pirate!" logic is loopy at best.

So what you're saying is that you think it's OK for a publisher to have control over how many computers I install the game I bought on?

Personally I think it's my business and ONLY mine if I want to install the game on two hundred computers, as long as I only have that one disc I need to play it. Yes, the DRM is the same for the store bought copies, so the "hands of three people" logic is loopy at best.

People are obviously interested in buying your games or you wouldn't still be here. You're doing quite well for yourselves, judging from the cars and motorcycles you people drive. But that isn't enough because you know some people are NOT prepared to pay for your products and opt to pirate them. So what do you do to solve the problem? You punish the people who are willing to pay for your products. The pirates, who never paid for a thing, will not notice any difference. They will still pirate the same cracked games effortlessly (only the cracker will notice the difference). The paying customer on the other hand.. well, you know the drill.

Something is wrong when people are preferring a cracked version of a game, not because of monetary reasons, but because that version is actually better than the legit version.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If Obs or any other favorite game company wants to use DRM or some other form of it I won't buy that game. No Mass Effect sale from me to give an example. Bioware is on my sh*t list because of that. If you want to alienate those who actually buy your product, well there are other means to get it. Myself I prefer to buy but if pushed, well...

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Hrmmmm...

Looks like Bio is looking for customer feedback with regards to their DRM policies.

click here

If you're so adamant in having your voice heard, then I'd suggest you take the time to be constructive about it. Especially since they are willing to hear your suggestions.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Samm's right. This is about DRM.

My perception is:

1. DRM doesn't work.

2. DRM forces me to jump through hoops.

3. DRM interferes with other processes on my machine.

Given point one, _WTF_ is it doing on my games?

Agreed. Especially with regards to point 1, because if people want to pirate games, then they will - they'll simply hack the game, remove the DRM and then spread it. It's that simple. It may not be fair or legal, but it's what happens. And as more companies install DRM, the number of people tempted to put their hands on pirated games is only likely to increase.

So why do the companies use DRM anyway? Well, for one thing, they want to protect their property. But what I really don't understand is how they can embrace DRM simply on the basis that it is said to work... by the company selling you DRM. :(

Ahem, does the term "conflict of interest" mean anything to you, Bioware? Of course companies like SecuROM will say DRM works. But they make their money from selling DRM, so they're scarcely an objective source in any case.

If Obs or any other favorite game company wants to use DRM or some other form of it I won't buy that game.

Obsidan's games are copy protected already

Edited by samm

But to the degree that your DVD drive may be physically damaged. Not mine, because fortunately I have a DVD-ROM drive as well as a burner, but others. If you're interested, check out the NWN2 Tech Section or ATARI's boards and search it for Securom issues :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I should say that I am very happy to support law enforcement when it works. But as everyone here is saying (except Volo) the level of DRM you're going to get on a game is never going to be good enough to do more than annoy paying customers. It's like I have a download version of one of my favourite films (which I own in hardcopy and paid for) because I detest so violently being forced to watch anti-piracy propaganda whenever I fancy enjoying a scene in the background while working.

A further point: anti-piracy DRM might stop some low-level pirates, but logically I can only see that pushing piracy customers into the hands of true organised crime.

In my opinion the money would be far better spent in targetted prosecution of the kind of criminal syndicates who perpetrate piracy on a large scale.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.