Videogames -> Movies

Rosbjerg

I tend to respect people who go their own way and do their own thing despite people putting them down all the time.

Uwe doesn't make really good movies, but to me that's secondary to the fact that he really seems to love what he does and keeps doing it regardless of what people think. I think that's pretty awesome.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

oh, so it wasn't his movies that you like then

phew

Well, I kinda liked Bloodrayne. But some of the others, not so much. House of the Dead was seriously one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I don't know how Uwe got Jurgen Prochnow to star in it. Uwe manages to get a lot of reasonably credible actors in his films. Its pretty cool.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Alone in the Dark, is underrated. Sure, it's not greta; but is certainly watchable. In fact, most of the movies on the list are. The problem is that most expect the movies to be exact duplicates of the games. As mentioned above, the games are about gameplay, and the story just one of many things, so it's completely different experiences.

Besdies, on the internet and in life, it seems to be cool to over critical, or unabashedly praiseful.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I've only seen 2 Uwe Boll films and both are on my "10 worst movies I've ever seen" list.

I found this an interesting read Uwe Boll: Money For Nothing

ask yourself this; what if you discovered a miraculous way to make a profit from making these bad movies? An ingenious way to guarantee that if your movie flops, you

Fortune favors the bald.

I like Uwe Boll

That made me cry.

with laughter

[...]is certainly watchable. In fact, most of the movies on the list are.
Well, yes. I'd rather watch Van Damme's SF than have needles driven under my nails. But it's not something I would do if the alternative wasn't guaranteed to cause injury and/or excruciating pain.

Besdies, on the internet and in life, it seems to be cool to over critical, or unabashedly praiseful.
I base it on the fact that Bestheda sucks period, and the game play in the video looks *boring*. :wacko:
R00fles!

Game Over!

et al.

The 60's movie? I can't remember the plot anymore.. But a quick look at imdb told me that you are correct. Although they are using different approaches, according to the story I found Uwe is using a German Tax loophole. I don't think that was an option in 68. :lol:

Fortune favors the bald.

Its odd I think I'm one of the few people that found the Doom movie enjoyable.

Not that I thought the plot was great or anything, but for a mindless popcorn flick I thought it was pretty decent. As for upcoming movies...

Prince of Persia (and to a lesser extent Max Payne) have a decent cast ,even if they're not ideally suited for their roles, and directors that seem somewhat competent. I wouldn't expect them to be great movies, but probably will be around the same ilk as Silent Hill (if not a bit better- SH really had a horrid script IMO).

The rest will probably suck. I like the Neal McDonough , who is playing Bison in the upcoming Street Fighter movie, but I don't think a lone actor can save a flick.

Its odd I think I'm one of the few people that found the Doom movie enjoyable.

Not that I thought the plot was great or anything, but for a mindless popcorn flick I thought it was pretty decent. As for upcoming movies...

Prince of Persia (and to a lesser extent Max Payne) have a decent cast ,even if they're not ideally suited for their roles, and directors that seem somewhat competent. I wouldn't expect them to be great movies, but probably will be around the same ilk as Silent Hill (if not a bit better- SH really had a horrid script IMO).

The rest will probably suck. I like the Neal McDonough , who is playing Bison in the upcoming Street Fighter movie, but I don't think a lone actor can save a flick.

I agree with all your points acutally. I found Doom to be damn enjoyable. Actually, I watched the movie with a film major and he said that while it wasn't the new Citizen Kane, it wasn't a bad movie at all and that he enjoyed it.

Alone in the Dark, is underrated. Sure, it's not greta; but is certainly watchable. In fact, most of the movies on the list are. The problem is that most expect the movies to be exact duplicates of the games. As mentioned above, the games are about gameplay, and the story just one of many things, so it's completely different experiences.

Ahhh, back to your nonsensical self :x...

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I liked the first Tomb Raider movie ok...nothing special but watchable and entertaining enough for a silly action flick.

And I also liked Doom ... although "liked" is probably too strong a word. I found it ... amusing ... and in a positive way more than a negative.

Also agree about the writers issue - the studios are either unable or unwilling to get people who can make a decent script. A lot of games would make fine settings for a film, IMO...but if the script is bad, ick. Plus, if you can't afford/get big name actors, it's harder to get a "big studio" to make it, which means less money, and so on...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I liked Silent Hill, but I admit it was mostly since I felt they nailed the visuals. The story, writing and acting are... well... Let's say they leave something to be desired. I thought Sean Bean was great in his role though, he'd be great as a lead in a Silent Hill movie. He's just charismatic.

Dead or Alive was so terrible that I couldn't even watch it for the lulz (which I could with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat). Super Mario was a rather surreal experience to watch.

I think I'd mostly like for them to stay away from making gamemovies. :biggrin:

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

How was dead or alive? That bad? I saw the trailer for it and it looked like a pretty poor adaptation of the game so I passed. I didn't see it in the box office talk either so I'm guess it's take was low too...

Poor adaption? The only way an adaption of a Dead or Alive could not be well representative is if it didn't feature ninjas and jiggling boobs.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."