Mocking aesthetics

I'm sure we're all fans of the stylish resonances of the decayed 1950s look of Fallout, and the wrecked 1930s look of Bioshock.

I've been doing a lot of commuting through London, recently, and was wondering why one couldn't have a hack at whatever the modern look is. I mean there must be one, and it seems to be appropriately gimcrack and polish to warrant subversion. I just wasn't sure what the icons were and so on. What might replace them?

One idea I had was instead of decay, a post-Taliban look, with upscale areas being a retro Persian look, and the currently shiny city of London landmarks like Lloyds and the Stock Market faded out. Another thought I had was would the Net also become mildewed at the edges?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 3 weeks later...

hummmm .....

i should take some pictures next time i drive through a south texas gohst town.

grrrrrr, why do i keep spelling "and" as "nad", or "driven" as "drivven".

damn you lexdixa, damn you to hell

Fallout and Bioshock are interesting because they aren't the modern look. The modern look, when it's not simply called "modern," is called the international style. It's the source of those boring and ugly steel, glass, and concrete monoliths that infect every city in the world.

I don't know how you would subvert it. All the levels in Oni were done in the international style and people complained because they were so boring.

During that time, the Waunana basically told their hosts that while they were amazed at what Europeans could build, the sight of so much unliving material made them want to die.

actually that was a translation error. they weren't talking about London's architecture, they were talking about its food.

but seriously, in terms of modern architecture, we're actually a little past the international style's standard glass & steel box. most of the stuff that's gone up recently on London's skyline or is proposed in the next few years is pretty cool looking: c.f. the Gherkin.

i agree, though, that a lot of the international style stuff was at best bland and at worst soul-destroying. it ain't just amazonian indians who dislike that stuff.

dumber than a bag of hammers

It wasn't so much the architecture. I think the biggest thing is the sheer profusion of adverts. They're on everything; although I don't recommend looking, since you'll probably go mad like me. Adverts, and really crappy corporate themed facades. Bits falling off even as they go up.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Las Vegas might be a good example. Rainbow Six managed to have some nice night time environments there.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'll have to check that out.

-Elwood Blues

I'm just wondering what the broken down version of modern corporate chic would loo like. Or is it pre-gimcracked?

-Elwood Blues

• 3 weeks later...
I'm just wondering what the broken down version of modern corporate chic would loo like. Or is it pre-gimcracked?

Is this post-apocalyptic 'broken down' you're speaking of? If so, Recoil's 'Earth No More' is going to be along those lines, but with an interesting visual twist. GRAW and GRAW 2 take place in Mexico City and the surrounding area. I'm sure a bunch of others have as well, but the Rainbow Six series pulls off the office and street environments really nicely. There are a lot of things you can do with lighting and environmental design to make a normally dull-looking area really fun to explore. Please elaborate on what you're envisioning.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this post-apocalyptic 'broken down' you're speaking of? If so, Recoil's 'Earth No More' is going to be along those lines, but with an interesting visual twist. GRAW and GRAW 2 take place in Mexico City and the surrounding area. I'm sure a bunch of others have as well, but the Rainbow Six series pulls off the office and street environments really nicely. There are a lot of things you can do with lighting and environmental design to make a normally dull-looking area really fun to explore. Please elaborate on what you're envisioning.

I guess I was thinking that part of the appeal of many environments is to see the mighty laid low, to see the bright made tarnished. I was wondering what would be most evocative from the present era, rather than the past. I honestly don't knwo what that would be, which is why I asked.

-Elwood Blues

That's true. Dammit, I suppose it's time to buy another copy of Deus Ex.

-Elwood Blues