OK, so how absurd is it that you mow down hundreds of enemies all by yourself, which is why you'd run out of ammo in the first place. Can you imagine going on a commando raid and failing because you didn't take enough ammo, that would just be embarassing. Also as I said, ammo drops all over the environment are even more absurd, in real life you wouldn't run out of ammo, or if you did it would probably be game over.

I'm not denying absurdity here. I'm saying it is absurd and that's OK. I like absurd things just fine. Other people are denying the absurdity.

edit: when you use the word abusrd to many times in a post the actual word itself becomes somewhat absurd. weird.

*head explodes*

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The original comment you laughed at:

There are a bunch of us however that follow weapons tech a lot, and will do our best to make sure nothing absurd gets into the game in terms of fire arms and ammo.

I took to mean that the types of firearms and ammunition found in the game, will be similar to the type of firearms and ammunition, and no fantasy weapons like laser guns will be included. So while the game will have an infinite supply of clips for our weapons, the ammo in those clips and the weapons we use them in will be based on, but not exact copies of real world weaponry.

Your comment:

Having bee-filled bullets is no more or less absurd than infinite ammo.

Again, there is nothing wrong with absurdity. It can be quite compelling and entertaining. But you would be better off embracing the absurdity rather than tryign to make some weird differentiation between 2 impossiblities as being less or more absurd.

suggests you agree with my saying that a character with unlimited ammo is no more absurd or cartoonish than a character carrying a dozen guns and hundreds of rounds of ammo, because there is no point differentiating between these 2 impossibilities are being more or less absurd.

So how have great strides... been made to reducing the whole thing to a cartoon when you now admit infinite ammo is just as absurd as the alternative?

Edited by Hell Kitty

suggests you agree with my saying that a character with unlimited ammo is no more absurd or cartoonish than a character carrying a dozen guns and hundreds of rounds of ammo, because there is no point differentiating between these 2 impossibilities are being more or less absurd.

I don't disagree. I think that's an absurd thing, too.

Again, for the record, I am not knocking on infinte ammo. I am just saying it is absurd and so is a bee filled bullet and so is clanking around with a shotgun, an assault rifle, a rocket launcher, a pistol, a knife, a crowbar, and thirty six medical kits.

I don't find any of the above genuinely desireable in an ideal game.

Alls I'm saying is that a bee filled bullet is absurd and so is infinite ammo. Infinite ammo is allready in so I wouldn't worry about putting bee-filled bullets or incorrect rifle names or other "absurdities" in the game, really.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well, I wouldn't want bee filled bullets, that would be ridiculous in addition to absurd. Yes, most accepted gaming conventions don't really make sense, but for whatever game you're trying to make, there's a line you shouldn't cross. Also trying to make some things authentic is still valid even if other things aren't, it just depends on the game (bee filled bullets worked great in Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath btw).

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I really don't think abstracting away picking up ammo and stripping enemy rifles is as absurd as giving Mike a grenade filled with transforming attack robots made to look like bunny rabbits. Just saying. There is unrealistic, and there is absurd.

When you think of AP as capturing the feel of spy movie, it's not a huge jump to just not worry where Mike had his magazines stored. It would be a bit of jump if he had a flamethrower built into the rims of his sunglasses.

PS. The only reason I'm even still talking about this is because it's fun to think up really absurd spy weapons...

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

Well, I wouldn't want bee filled bullets, that would be ridiculous in addition to absurd. Yes, most accepted gaming conventions don't really make sense, but for whatever game you're trying to make, there's a line you shouldn't cross. Also trying to make some things authentic is still valid even if other things aren't, it just depends on the game (bee filled bullets worked great in Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath btw).

Hellboy used absurd bullets in an absurd gun and it was prety cool. Special Unit 2 had a lot of absurd weapon stuff. I love that show. So as a convention it's pretty common and not neccessarilay a bad thing at all.

Frankly, I think firing a bee-filled bullet at a bad guy is kind of neat.

It would be a bit of jump if he had a flamethrower built into the rims of his sunglasses.

Didn't Q branch make a living out of concoting absurd stuff like that though?

[Hellboy used absurd bullets in an absurd gun and it was prety cool. Special Unit 2 had a lot of absurd weapon stuff. I love that show. So as a convention it's pretty common and not neccessarilay a bad thing at all.

Frankly, I think firing a bee-filled bullet at a bad guy is kind of neat.

Oh, I agree. But those are more fantasy games, that's why I referenced Oddworld. For a game that's trying to have a more realistic feel (not actually be realistic) those things just wouldn't make sense at all.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

For a game that's trying to have a more realistic feel (not actually be realistic) those things just wouldn't make sense at all.

lol. You better be careful with that line of reasoning.

The devs have already said that the intial vision of realism was too boring and is now pretty much out the window. AP is beginning to appear to be more of fantasy game than not. ISn't there some kind of dual wielding teenage ninja girl in there or something?

Alls I'm saying is that a bee filled bullet is absurd and so is infinite ammo.

Sure, they are absurd on their own, but they can feel more or less okay depending on the rest of the game. In Mass Effect infinite ammo doesn't feel wrong because the majority of the audience can accept such a thing in a sci-fi game with laser guns and space travel, but in a modern day real world setting like AP, it might feel wrong, which is why people freaked out about it. In neither the modern day or the future sci-fi setting would a bee-filled bullet feel anything but ridiculous.

Which is why

Infinite ammo is allready in so I wouldn't worry about putting bee-filled bullets or incorrect rifle names or other "absurdities" in the game, really.

is just silly.

Deus Ex was a near future real world setting, but it featured "absurdities" like experimental sci-fi weapons and superpowers in the form of augmentations, so there is no reason they couldn't have thrown in a gun that shoots out dragons and have JC shoot lasers out his fingertips, right? Because they are all as equally as absurd as each other right?

[ In neither the modern day or the future sci-fi setting would a bee-filled bullet feel anything but ridiculous.

Oh come on. Imagine launching a large bullet filled with angry bees at your enemies. It pops open on impact and out comes a bunch of really furious bees. That is just too sweet.

Deus Ex was a near future real world setting, but it featured "absurdities" like experimental sci-fi weapons and superpowers in the form of augmentations, so there is no reason they couldn't have thrown in a gun that shoots out dragons and have JC shoot lasers out his fingertips, right? Because they are all as equally as absurd as each other right?

Sure why not. Gunther had some sort of skull gun, didn't he? We never learned too much about it, but maybe it fired bee-filled bullets!

The devs have already said that the intial vision of realism was too boring and is now pretty much out the window. AP is beginning to appear to be more of fantasy game than not.

There's that you're responding to what you've decided they mean, not what they've actually said thing again.

Exaggerated realism, the type of stuff you might find in 24 or the Bourne films or Bond, isn't the same as fantasy stuff like Hellboy or Riddick.

The devs have already said that the intial vision of realism was too boring and is now pretty much out the window. AP is beginning to appear to be more of fantasy game than not.

There's that you're responding to what you've decided they mean, not what they've actually said thing again.

Exaggerated realism, the type of stuff you might find in 24 or the Bourne films or Bond, isn't the same as fantasy stuff like Hellboy or Riddick.

OK, fair enough. I will amend my statement: "AP is beginning to appear to be becoming more of a fantasy game than it was originally planned to be when development began" .

And I am not saying that is a bad thing either!

OK, fair enough. I will amend my statement: "AP is beginning to appear to be becoming more of a fantasy game than it was originally planned to be when development began" .

I'm glad you know what we were thinking when development began, I'd like to get the notes for some of the meetings that I missed.

I'm glad you know what we were thinking when development began, I'd like to get the notes for some of the meetings that I missed.

Now now, sarcasm is so unbecoming, don't you think. :(

True, I may be talking out my arse*, but at least I am talking about your game and not ignoring it because I don't care, no?

That's gotta mean something right?

hmmm.

*my arse is pretty smart though. Everybody says so.

It would be a bit of jump if he had a flamethrower built into the rims of his sunglasses.

J.C. Denton could make flying attack robots inside his skull. What can Thorton do?

His name can be misspelled every time he's mentioned.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"