Jagged Alliance 2

Humodour

Jagged Alliance 2: Gold edition

This release added the improvements from Unfinished Business to the final release of Jagged Alliance 2. Unfinished Business is included in the package. Like the rest of the series, this version of Jagged Alliance is out of print, but as of July 2006 it is available via the Steam content delivery system, as well as Turner Broadcasting's Gametap. Although playable this version does have a bug which causes the player to have infinite money rendering financial strategy irrelevant. The expansion Unfinished Business contains a bug which results in the player unable to save his progress. Strategy First has acknowledged the issues but has failed to provide a fix.[2][3][4]

I have a copy of JA2 Gold which includes UB. Is it worth playing in this case? Infinite money sounds rather annoying. Does the no-save bug apply to normal JA2 if you have UB installed?

Is it the steam version thatr you have? If so then go cry in the corner. If not then it should work fine, I'm pretty sure I have JA2 gold and it works.

Edit: Ok... I can't find my JA2 box... Panic!

Edit 2: Ok, found it. Mine has medallion printed up top and is called Jagged Alliance 2 Gold Pack. If this is the one you have then it works.

Edit 3: The financial thing might be bad depending on your self-restraint. Will you be able to keep yourself to only hiring mercenaries as you build up the money that you technically already have? That was just about what money meant in that game, I mean sure you have, like cost to build up militias, but that was close to nothing. You can't really buy

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Jagged Alliance 2: Gold edition

This release added the improvements from Unfinished Business to the final release of Jagged Alliance 2. Unfinished Business is included in the package. Like the rest of the series, this version of Jagged Alliance is out of print, but as of July 2006 it is available via the Steam content delivery system, as well as Turner Broadcasting's Gametap. Although playable this version does have a bug which causes the player to have infinite money rendering financial strategy irrelevant. The expansion Unfinished Business contains a bug which results in the player unable to save his progress. Strategy First has acknowledged the issues but has failed to provide a fix.[2][3][4]

I have a copy of JA2 Gold which includes UB. Is it worth playing in this case? Infinite money sounds rather annoying. Does the no-save bug apply to normal JA2 if you have UB installed?

Its your call, Krezzie. The Steam version is buggy. HAving infinite money kinda makes trhe game a waste of time. You could try installing the 1.13 mod which fixes a lot of bugs by default, but I know the 1.13 mod has problems with the Steam version as well sometimes.

If you are really bent on playing Jag 2, go on ebay and get the Jag 2 gold edition from Stratgy FIrst. I'm sure you can find it cheap with a little bit of looking.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Thanks guys.

I have the Gold Edition from Strategy First (non-steam).

Wikipedia says this version has the infinite moneybug and the no-save bug? Did you experience this, Moat?

Have either of you played Unfinished Business?

Cheers for mentioning 1.13, Crash. I might just try Gold first, without UB or 1.13. If I like it (seems I will), I'm bound to replay it.

Have either of you played Unfinished Business?

Yes. It is a "cut down" version, without the roleplaying and management parts basically. I think it is aimed at those who wants to just focus on the tactical (and often tougher) combat aspects of the game. A nice expansion for those who knows the basic game inside out though :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wonder if the Gametap version is broken too?

1.13 enhances the resolution, Krezack, so it makes the game look incredibly better than the original resolution. For me, that alone means I'll never go back to the vanilla install.

1.13 enhances the resolution, Krezack, so it makes the game look incredibly better than the original resolution. For me, that alone means I'll never go back to the vanilla install.

Krezack shouldn't try that unless he has completed the game at least once.

Wikipedia says this version has the infinite moneybug and the no-save bug? Did you experience this, Moat?

I didn't experience that but I'm not sure if I have the gold edition since I have the gold pack and I'm not sure if there is a difference.

Why don't you try it? Shouldn't take long too long to install.

Edit: But seriously, unless I remember the game wrong certain people in here are overreacting about the money bug, all it takes is a bit of restraint.

Edited by Moatilliatta

The problem is twofold, you 'can' play normally by simply not overspending what you'd have anyway, but the infinite money bug caps your money at a cirtain level, so trying to spend more than that at any one time becomes impossible. If you're only interested in the combat then you can play the game happily with this bug but it pretty much ruined the meta-strategy portion of the game for me, even with 'restraint' and doubly so as it was my first time playing the game.

Not being able to save at all in the addon speaks for itself.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I can easily see how the arbitrary loft on spending could ruin things. :*

I guess Krezzy will have to figure out where he stands on the 'can you pirate something you already own' issue.

Edit @ Krezack: In case you're intruiged by Hurlshot mentioning 1.13

Edited by Moatilliatta

Combat is sort of hard! I thought 'novice' would mean easy and 'experienced' would mean normal. It seems this is not true. Not to mention the skill system is a bit eh disproportionate. Haven't gotten far yet; it's a slow game.

I don't have infinite money, and I can save just fine. It seems that wikipedia entry is incorrect, and relates specifically to the steam version (which I don't have).

I agree with Moat; if the game's good, I'll replay it, and I'll use the 1.13 patch then.

I agree with Moat; if the game's good, I'll replay it, and I'll use the 1.13 patch then.

Good man.

Combat is sort of hard! I thought 'novice' would mean easy and 'experienced' would mean normal. It seems this is not true. Not to mention the skill system is a bit eh disproportionate. Haven't gotten far yet; it's a slow game.

Did you play STALKER? It's sorta like that in that it is hard at the beginning, easy at the middle (3 or more mines captured) and hard at the end. The beginning is the most fun in some ways.

I don't have infinite money, and I can save just fine. It seems that wikipedia entry is incorrect, and relates specifically to the steam version (which I don't have).

Or perhaps it's about another version that neither of us have.

Edit: Damn, I need to get back to my JA2 'on hiatus' game.

Edited by Moatilliatta

If attacking enemy hostile sectors seems difficult, I suggest you create a character who has a night vision traits or get night vision goggles asap and attack the enemy bases at night.

If you have a sniper rifle, even a bigger plus since you are able to see the enemies in the dark plus the AIs tend to stand under bright areas that is emitted from the buildings which you could pick them off easily.

I'm going to restart the game (I didn't get far after an hour) and take something like:

85 Wisdom

85 Agility

70 Marksman (cause I heard Wisdom makes skills go up fast)

80 Dex

80 Health

60 Strength

55 Leadership

35 Medical

0 Mech

0 Explosive

And grab night vision and some random traits

And I'll take somebody like Lynx at the start because he seems to have a sniper rifle.

Party:

Barry

Igor

Fox (I like her)

Lynx

Ira

I'll probably replace Lynx with Victoria... what's not to like about a dual-wielding Rastafarian chick? Plus she costs little ($2800, but level 4). Probably eventually take Trevor cause he looks awesome.

I've learnt this game is similar to Fallout and Fallout: Tactics, so cover and stuff are heaps important - especially prone. And you can heal others in combat!

There's lots of features they don't bother to tell you about that. I didn't even know how to access help, but luckily 'H' worked.

You can probably drop leadership to 35 as well. It's only useful for training troops, I believe, and your primary merc isn't going to spend a ton of time doing that, plus the wisdom score will help it go up fast. A bit of an accuracy boost might save your life early on.

You could drop your leadership some and your wisdom a bit to get the minimum 35 required for explosives. You can get Red to teach your from there until you get profficient enough to handle those c1 and c4 packages.

Try give Trevor a crappy gun and enjoy his aussie swearing when it breaks :rolleyes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just took Drassen. Fairly easy, although some of my mercs are down to about 33% HP. But I don't want to rest because Lynx only has 8 hours left. Does resting help heal anyway? They're all bandaged.

Fox is decent with here two desert eagles - usually misses, but shooting twice makes up for it. And my SMG is rather inaccurate, but low AP and decent range, so!

I shot that Doreen slaver bitch 3 times in the head. No idea why it took three hits to the head.

Resting is the only way to heal properly as well as removing your merc's crippled state.

The reason is that depending of the % the merc is being bandaged up, the more it affects his/her mobility. You will discover that they are incapable of using more action points than when they are in perfect health. That alone will put your team in a disadvantage in combat. If I am not mistakened as well, it affects the merc's max hitpoints as well as his maximum fatigue.

So in the end, its best not to get hit or severely wounded at all in the first phase of the game since time is against you afterall until you are able to secure fundings.

Edited by Zoma

Actually, Fox is there for two reasons. She is a fast mover (for those scouting or encircling moves) and she has decent doctor skills. Doctors are the only way you can get your mercs health back in reasonable time. Get her a doctors kit if you already havent and then make her treat your worst wounded. You might want to take all of Drassen though, as you need the income from the mine.

Not sure if you can actually afford to have Lynx around that early in the game :rolleyes:

I usually get a few of the low cost guys, just to get started :)

You are probably better off resting. You'll likely lose Lynx, but honestly you will get to higher better Mercs down the road.

One of the great things about taking the weak AIM guys at the beginning is they really grow with you. My first campaign had guys like MD and Barry being excellent soldiers by about halfway through the game, and MERC guys like Razor and Haywire can be surprisingly effective with a little love.

Edited by Hurlshot

She starts with 'trainer' and is free, so she's great for keeping your militias up to speed.

Bandages don't stop your guys dueing btw. When they take a hit some of it still comes out of the 'raw' HP, and if that drops to zero they die, even if they've still got bandage HP left. Also, stat drops from hits won't be restored by bandages, as has been said.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Awesome, Krezzie. I'm glad you don't ahve the STEAM version. The regular 1.12 shoudl be mostly fine. A few small bugs but nothing major. Idf you don't have a manual then there is going to be a lot of stuff you won't know about. (I think there is a pdf for the original manual on the cd though).

Make sure you talk to everyone. Its a lot like a crpg in that way,

Also: by right clicking on a target after you have your sights on him, you can increase yoru aiming percentage by spending additonal APs before you fire. A lot of people seem to miss this when they forst play the game. IT helps a lot.

Also, the game will get easier as you acquire longer range weapons and better gear. The better equipped your team the more tactical options you have. Night operations is a good way to do a lot of damage and not take a lot in return.

Yay!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.